Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAutomatic lights, what’s the point?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Is there any point to having automatic lights on a car?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
6 [35.29%]
10 [58.82%]
1 [5.88%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Automatic lights, what’s the point?
    Posted: 16-April-2008 at 22:54

You know the type, you have a light sensor, when it starts to get dark (or the car travels through a tunnell etc) the lights automatically come on. I've always said to my boss "it's just for lazy people, would you let a car apply brakes for you?"

Anyway, it really got me thinking today because it was a London pea souper coming out this morning. The type of fog which would need a rear fog lamp to be on and still you'd only see the car once you were less than about 100 yards away.

As I went to turn right out of the end of my road, I waited for the passing cars, looked in both directions for one last time then just as I stated to accelerate, a car suddenly appeared to my left, no light on at all. I literally only saw it 'appear' when it was about 30 yards away and had I made it across the white lines, he'd almost certainly have hit me. 

After mouthing a swear word or two  and reversing back into the road, I waited again. Once the road was clear, I was about to floor it, wanting to get out quickly in case any other unlit idiots were on the road. Hey presto, I made it half way out another one loomed out of the mist!!!

I did get out after this one and I followed behind. When we got to a motorway bridge and the fog cleared as we passed under it, his lights came on! then as we came back out into the fog, back off again!

My point is, the first car was a brand new Honda (didn't get the make but it was  a big one!) the second was a Citroen C5, both of which would have automatic lights and both of which didn't have any lights at all in the fog. I asked my boss when I got to work if he ever used his light manually, he replied that he didn't because they were automatic so why would he? I told him of my two near misses in the and he did take my point (though did say he'd put his on in the fog!)

Are these lights left to think for themselves which of course only being light sensitive they can't, so some people are obviously taking them for granted just believing they come on when necessary.

There are certain elements I like to have control over myself, especially when it comes to a situation where safety is concerned. Perhaps these proposals for daylight driving lights is not such a bad idea after my experience this morning.

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Sponsored Links

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2008 at 10:37

I voted no.

They are just another thing to go wrong, they add weight and complexity and are totally unecessary.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2008 at 11:27
No point whatsoever, another unnecessary driver aid for useless so-called drivers, total p!$h IMO. 
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2008 at 11:54

Registering a contrarian view here.

How many times have you been out at night and come across some fool with not a hint of lights on or sidelights on even though it is dark rather than dusk?

Anything that means that people will be seen in poor visibility is a good thing, whether it is done for them or by them.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2008 at 12:37

Originally posted by 540 V8 540 V8 wrote:

the second was a Citroen C5

That's your problem. Right there!  What you said! 

Anyone who chooses to drive a Citroen of any description should be treated with the deepest suspicion at all times when both off and on the road.

You cannot rely on a Citroen (or a Renault) driver to obey any form of any rule in the Highway code.  They are best avoided at all costs on the road. Don't go near them as they will do something completely out of the ordinary right at the last minute.  Renault Clio drivers seem to be the exception.

Would a C5 have automatic lights?  If it did, they would have fused by now and stopped working.  Would a C5 driver know what to do with automatic lights anyway? 

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2008 at 14:13

Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

No point whatsoever, another unnecessary driver aid for useless so-called drivers, total p!$h IMO. 

Agree.....

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
The blue bullet View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Surfs Up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The blue bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-April-2008 at 16:55
Originally posted by Andrew Rolland Andrew Rolland wrote:

Anyone who chooses to drive a Citroen of any description should be treated with the deepest suspicion at all times when both off and on the road.

You cannot rely on a Citroen (or a Renault) driver to obey any form of any rule in the Highway code.  They are best avoided at all costs on the road. Don't go near them as they will do something completely out of the ordinary right at the last minute.  Renault Clio drivers seem to be the exception.

Nice one Andrew!

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2008 at 16:32
Originally posted by The blue bullet The blue bullet wrote:

Nice one Andrew!

Nicely put, anything french doesn't really count as sensible road user so I suppose that's the reason. I do see Dergsides point and so in cases where people are that stupid so do not have their lights on in bad light, auto lights can have an effect but it's easier to nitice you need lights in the dark than in daylight when it's foggy. People think it's light, therefore they can see which I proved wrong the other day, almost to the cost of a written off car.

My lights are on, even on a very cloudy day, dusk, fog, rain, the lot. That way, I give myself a better chance of being seen but there is still no accounting for others, it's them you have to watch!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
E28 525e auto-Standard
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2008 at 17:23

...there is still no accounting for others, it's them you have to watch! Mike

As my old driving tutor said "Treat every other driver as a complete idiot - that way you won't be too wrong"!

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
stephen520i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephen520i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2008 at 12:27
The amount of cars that are on the road during dusk and dawn with no lights is frighting. Even a heavy shower will reduce visibility and drivers should do everything to make themselves visible.

Automatic lights for me so. I've got into the habit of using my fog lights during low light conditions and I'm amazed how often cars are not pulling out in front of me i.e. they see me coming and it makes them think before pulling out. There is a junction near me where drivers coast out onto the main road forcing me to brake hard to avoid rear-ending them. 

E34 520i auto leather

Previous: E36 93 316i M40 Boston Green

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-April-2008 at 20:57

Pointless soon anyway as we will all have to have daylight lights

All our bus lights now come on when they are fired up

is this the future for cars too?

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
hennabm View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hennabm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2008 at 20:56

For the half wits that drive around all day with fog lamps on then yes they are a good idea.

If the driver happens to be awake and not holding a mobile phone then they will realise that visibility is lacking and spend all that energy reaching for the light switch  

I have driven some french  and the lights didn't come on when I would have put them on. I waited and it was a lot later the car decided to light up. A waste of money.

spokey View Drop Down
Offensive and obnoxious tub of lard

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spokey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2008 at 21:16
I thought they were a stupid idea until I got a car with them. My next car will definitely have them.

Ciao,
Spokey

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2008 at 21:18

Originally posted by spokey spokey wrote:

I thought they were a stupid idea until I got a car with them. My next car will definitely have them.

Lazy git - you'll be getting an automatic next - car that is, not gearbox

But don't care.
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2008 at 23:20
i used to use them on my M3 cause it had it, no other reason!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-May-2008 at 20:48

I think it takes some of the responsibility away from the driver, better training, not more 'lazy' gizmo's. Whatever next, TV remote controls?

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-May-2008 at 08:15

I was behind a Renault Laguna (French car - refer to an earlier post of mine) this morning and I noticed that his side lights came on as we entered the Clyde Tunnel this morning.  Sure enough they then went off when we exited the tunnel. but more irritatingly the driver of this French car did not make one use of either of their indicators yet they had managed to find the switch that controls his automatic lights.

Drivers of French cars, don't you just love them!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
dazfxvw View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazfxvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 14:03

just a gadget for lazy people

like me

540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 21:12

I was behind a Renault Laguna (French car - refer to an earlier post of mine) this morning and I noticed that his side lights came on as we entered the Clyde Tunnel this morning.  Sure enough they then went off when we exited the tunnel. but more irritatingly the driver of this French car did not make one use of either of their indicators yet they had managed to find the switch that controls his automatic lights.

Drivers of French cars, don't you just love them!

Andrew

lol, I take your point totally! It made me laugh though because what you just said reminds me of what my mum used to say about BMW drivers!  Her old job involved a lot of driving many years ago and all I ever used to hear was she wished her car had come with a crystal ball so she could see where all the bloody BMW and Sierra drivers were going. She used to shout at roundabouts "The indicators are the orange flashy things on the corner of the flippin car you moron!"

I think it was the new BMW's and Sierras becasue they were usualy driven by executives who thought they were high and mighty (BMW's) or Sales reps (Sierras) who didn't care for other road users. This does seem to have been passed on to the french car drivers now who have automatic lights but no orange flashy things!

Mike

E28 525e auto-Standard
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2008 at 21:20

She used to shout at roundabouts "The indicators are the orange flashy things on the corner of the flippin car you moron!"

Are sure it was just 'flippin' she shouted?

But don't care.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic