Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW 320si - any good?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW 320si - any good?
    Posted: 14-April-2008 at 09:38

I am thinking about a 320si.

Is it worth the higher price over the standard car, is it better to drive and is that 'hand built' engine as reliable as the others.

It would be great to see a brochure or any literature from the time they were available new.

Any help would be great,

thanks

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2008 at 10:04
Are you talking about the E30 320iS? This is a smaller engined version of the E30 M3 designed for the Italian and Portugese markets.
See http://www.bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=10
and http://www.bmwe21.net/320is/
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2008 at 11:04

I'm guessing its the e90 320Si - a 4 door homogolation special (built during 2006 iirc).  There was a bit of fanfare about it at the time but the power and (possibly) torque were little different to the std 320i.  Having said that, since it was a limited run that didn't seem to be just for marketing purposes then it should be interesting in some other respects.  There may well have been some suspension mods to go with it and I THINK there were a couple of things stripped out from the spec to save a few pounds weight.

As with other models, I'd guess that it will be of long term interest simply because it was a limited run and a homogolation special.  Nothing was said about it at the time but I'd hazard a guess that there might be "unofficial" options to extract a few more horses without great difficulty.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2008 at 12:00
a quick google.....

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25166

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2008 at 14:56
Originally posted by Dergside Dergside wrote:

I Nothing was said about it at the time but I'd hazard a guess that there might be "unofficial" options to extract a few more horses without great difficulty.

Considering the heritage of the engine, you'd have to assume that alright. A BTCC or WTC touring car pumps out - approx 300bhp....apart from electronics and a carbon MAF free intake...its the same basic engine, so 50 + bhp has to be there for the taking ??

Edited by nn_dd
E39 530d Touring

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2008 at 15:15
Originally posted by nn_dd nn_dd wrote:

I Nothing was said about it at the time but I'd hazard a guess that there might be "unofficial" options to extract a few more horses without great difficulty.

Considering the heritage of the engine, you'd have to assume that alright. A BTCC or WTC touring car pumps out - approx 300bhp....apart from electronics and a carbon MAF free intake...its the same basic engine, so 50 + bhp has to be there for the taking ??

No way..... those engines are not simply add carbon air intakes and electronics, they will be polished and ported to the limit with different rods, crank, cams pistons, springs, valves and throttles etc...... Try driving one of those on the road, or in road conditions the engine simply will not work as the race engine will have a narrower powerband set towards the top of the rev range.

nn_dd View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nn_dd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-April-2008 at 22:24
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Originally posted by nn_dd nn_dd wrote:

No way..... those engines are not simply add carbon air intakes and electronics, they will be polished and ported to the limit with different rods, crank, cams pistons, springs, valves and throttles etc...... Try driving one of those on the road, or in road conditions the engine simply will not work as the race engine will have a narrower powerband set towards the top of the rev range.

Which is why I only said 50 bhp......and not an extra 127 bhp  
E39 530d Touring

Virgin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2008 at 16:55

I'm guessing its the e90 320Si...

Yes, that's the one...

Not a massive increase in power considering it's supposed to be a hand built engine.

Should be fun though, in a high-revving sort of way...

But those wheels and that carbon fibre cam cover... mmm...

Still can't find any official blurb though  

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by Virgin Virgin wrote:

I'm guessing its the e90 320Si...

Yes, that's the one...

Not a massive increase in power considering it's supposed to be a hand built engine.

Should be fun though, in a high-revving sort of way...

But those wheels and that carbon fibre cam cover... mmm...

Still can't find any official blurb though  

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/200502/bmw_3se ries.html

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2008 at 17:22
1997 E39 523i
gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-April-2008 at 21:57

The 320Si is the true successor to the E30 M3

Both were done as homologation specials for Touring car racing.

So I think it will have a stronger heritage than current M3s which are marketing exercises ( OK I know they are quick too)

Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Virgin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2008 at 16:14
P0023010.JPG

Edited by thepits
Virgin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2008 at 16:20

"Engineers have also decided to remove BMW’s patented VALVETRONIC induction system, reverting to a conventional throttle due to the higher engine speeds demanded by a racing engine."

Strange... all that development and hardly any extra power... nice looking lump though.

Just purely rarity value then (thanks for the photos KB).

Edited by Virgin
Virgin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2008 at 17:38

Well, I drove one at the dealers last weekend...

Not particularly quick unless you put your foot down and get the revs spinning up.

Looks good though and those wheels are... WOW!

19" run-flats are a bit jiggly though.

Overall opinion is, it's nice because it's a bit different

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2008 at 23:52
50 BHP more than a standard engine is good going for a road car
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2008 at 00:54
Just looking at the pic again - whats that at the bottom (with the lowest pulley and the N on its side)?
1997 E39 523i
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2008 at 16:19

Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

50 BHP more than a standard engine is good going for a road car

It's not 50 BHP over the standard engine, its 22 BHP over standard.

Virgin View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Virgin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2008 at 18:15

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

Just looking at the pic again - whats that at the bottom (with the lowest pulley and the N on its side)?

My guess would be the power steering pump?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic