Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 - Rust front wings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBeemer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E46 - Rust front wings
    Posted: 10-January-2008 at 17:58

I really can't believe it. I've got slight bubbling of paint on both arches above the wheel on the initial wheel arch.

Anyone heard of this before on an E46? Not sure what to do. New wings (ie take off a donar car (same colour)) or get some one to cut it out and weld new piece in.

328ci 2000.

TIA

BB

2000 328Ci vroooooooooom
Other drive:- 2006 Mini Cooper
Also have had:-
318iS 1994
non BMW
Viva, Fiesta 1.3S , Nova, XR2, Polo, Peugeot 405, Rover 216 Coupe, Merc A Class,
Sponsored Links

jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2008 at 18:51
Hi mate

I have a 325 2000 plate, smae as you rust appeared on the driver side front wing which got painted by the garage i bought it off, but now the passenger side has started bubbling.

think the back arches have a couple of small blisters right on the edge. the rear bootlock also suffered at the same time as the drivers wing.

either my car was badly neglected in its early years or its a myth that BMW's don't rust

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2008 at 09:35

Originally posted by jamsieboi jamsieboi wrote:

............................................................ .
either my car was badly neglected in its early years or its a myth that BMW's don't rust

Who says BMW's don't rust? Ask any E30 or E36 owner, I haven't really heard of E34 but they probably do also. (Especially in the UK climate).

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2008 at 10:16
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Who says BMW's don't rust? Ask any E30 or E36 owner,

I had an E30 where the paint was holding the rust together and had to have extensive welding t get it roadworthy for a year before it was scrapped. The next one had holes you could put your fist through in the wings, what turned out to be a bit of bubbling fell out. Sills needed a bit of welding as well. My current E36 has a few stone chips that need a spot of rust-cure on them - not found any patches of rust so far..<touches wood>
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Issy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
THE BOSS!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Issy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-January-2008 at 12:59
Originally posted by BlueBeemer BlueBeemer wrote:

I really can't believe it. I've got slight bubbling of paint on both arches above the wheel on the initial wheel arch.

328ci 2000.

I discovered that mines has done the same and i not happy its a 323ci 2000

BlueBeemer View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBeemer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 17:39

I've been going off on one    at UK Customer Service... and get this they have no history of there being a problem on E46 front wings! Mind you they were very polite in their replies....

I feel someone might be fibbing!

So if you have an E46 that is aboout 6 years old make sure you check your front wings (wheel arch) very very closely...

BB

2000 328Ci vroooooooooom
318iS 1994
non BMW
Viva, Fiesta 1.3S , Nova, XR2, Polo, Peugeot 405, Rover 216 Coupe, Merc A Class,
jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-May-2008 at 18:44
got my car booked in two front wings getting replaced. also drivers door bottom corner needs tidying up.

The bodyshop thats doing the work put it down to the big wheels but i never noticed any paint damage prior to the blistering

dazfxvw View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dazfxvw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 13:32

forget welding, if they are that bad replace them.

if your not sure a body shop should be able to point you straight.

DAZ

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-May-2008 at 13:43

Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Originally posted by jamsieboi jamsieboi wrote:

...or its a myth that BMW's don't rust
Who says BMW's don't rust? Ask any E30 or E36 owner, 

too right

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
BlueBeemer View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBeemer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2008 at 12:32

Spoke to the independant mechanic that services my car for me  and he says best thing is to put grease in the recess lip around the inside of the wing. He's ex BMW mechanic and wasn't suprised about the rust!

Hey ho...

2000 328Ci vroooooooooom
318iS 1994
non BMW
agaafear View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agaafear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 16:53
I have a 00 320i which was actually kept by the sea for the first 6 years of its life.  I waxed the car recently and there is one tiny spot of rust under the grille on the inside of the bonnet.  I am very surprised to hear that there are E46's corroding - I thought such things didn't occur anymore.

Edited by agaafear
curnrik View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote curnrik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 17:37

Who ever said BMs don't rust is talking rot.

My E36 needs a pair of wings, boot lid, theres rust spots on the corners of the doors and spots on other places.

agaafear View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote agaafear Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-May-2008 at 18:07
I know the older ones did rust particularly around the wheel arches, but the newer ones generally don't.
fender View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fender Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2008 at 08:49
e46 do rust, i have a 99, 318i se its blistering around the rear badge, on the rear corner above the bumper and on the rear wheel arch, ive decided to sell it as once rust is in the bodywork its difficult to erase completly unless you change the complete panels. I think mine is a poor car at 65000 miles it has needed central locking module 320, airbag control unit 220, starter motor 180, front wishbone 180, throttle cable, airbag wireing loom under seat, both front to rear brake pipes and new discs all round. the mileage is genuine, ive owned the car for 2 1/2 yrs, its garaged every night and believe it or not i really do look after it i think its a typical monday morning built car and i will seriously think hard before buying bmw again. sorry for whinging on, good luck with yours. 
johne46 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johne46 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2008 at 18:46
 I have bubbling on one frunt p/side and its bad its comeing from the inside of the wing. last time i dun the back my self just on the lip and it still looks ok ? I have spent spent spent on this car had it 5yer now with 110000 on W-reg on a 2000 plate. I am sick of it now coz i look at it and think Y .. and its garaged to. But sum good cars out ther sum not ??? sorry just haveing a bad car day lol ... wee john
muly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 12:35
my e46 has the same thing happening rust bubbles on front arches
redbull*f1 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redbull*f1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-June-2008 at 20:35
Got a 2000  E46 318i on a W, Had it going on 5 years, never garaged, not a speck of rust, (not gloating, had loads of other probs).

Edited by redbull*f1
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic