Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE39 540i possible fuel pump failure?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imagemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E39 540i possible fuel pump failure?
    Posted: 07-January-2008 at 16:27
Hi,

I am new to this board and wonder if anyone can give me some advice.

I have an E39 540i, 1998, 147,000k. My engine cut out at a set of traffic
lights the other night and although it would re-start it kept stalling again
after about 30 secs running. I managed to get it out of the traffic but was
still having problems getting the engine to remain running for more than
about 30 - 45 secs. After waiting for about an hour the car restarted and
ran fine to enable me to drive the few miles home. Up until the engine
cut out I had no reason for concern as the engine has never missed a
beat. I have been advised it might be the fuel pump playing up. However,
I have also been told it might be the fuel filter.

Would I have had some prior notice of the pump about to fail? I had let
the fuel get very low a few days before - about 25 miles showing on
range of onboard computer - and mostly driving in London traffic at 14.1
mpg according to cars computer. I am not sure when the fuel filter was
last changed, but at least not in the last nine months (about 3,000 miles).

Any help much appreciated.

Regards,
Tony
Sponsored Links

540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-January-2008 at 21:05

As far as I know, if the fuel pump fails, it fails and that's it. Essentially it's just a motor and motors don't usually don't show sign on weakness until they fail altogether. I'm not saying it's 100% not the fuel pump but I dobt it.

More likely it probably is the fuel filter. If you let the tank run low, often there is silt in the bottom of the tank which accumulates from fuel over long periods of time and once the fuel runs low, it's concentrated around the fuel pickup at the bottom of the tank and all gets sucked up in one go.

My advice first of all is to change the fuel filter/s (I think your's will be a double filter system as is mine) then once this has been done see how things are. If your troubles don't clear up then I'm afraid it could be more complicated and possibly sensor/elecrical fault i.e. possibly the air flow meter or injector failure.

Best start with the cheap and simple and work your way up!

As a side note, my car (e34 540) had fuel pump failure once (the fuse blew) and it just wouldn't start one morning. It turned over, fired for a second then nothing at all. Once I fitted a new fuse it was like nothing had happened. The other problem I had more recently was the car not revving above 3500 - 4000 RPM which turned out to be the crank position sensor.  Both not totally like your problem but have similar symptoms - just a thought!

Also (almost forgot this one!) my car had a problem cutting out when slowing down to a stop and I got the message "CHECK CONTROL" come up on the display. I found my battery was knackered and after a replacement all was fine.

Hope you sort it

Mike

P.S. Welcome to the forum!!

Edited by 540 V8

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
jetsetwilly2000 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jetsetwilly2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2008 at 10:40
I second Mike - the filter is dead easy to change so it's definitely the place to start. 

E90 M3 DCT, E46 330d Touring, VW T5 wannabecamper

Previous: Disco 3 TDV6, 2x E34 540i6,

E34 535iS

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2008 at 13:40

I'm sure I read in a Which car report on the E39 that they suffered from fuel pump/fuel sender units becoming detached internally within the fuel tank but in the 3.5 years of surfing this forum I have never heard of that.

I would go along the lines of what has previously been suggested by replacing the fuel filter etc.

Might also be worth running a tank or two of Shell V Power or equivalent high octane juice to help clear out the fuel system and drive with a heavy right foot to get the fuel system working hard to help clear out any muck.  Would be expensive in a V8 E39 though...but fun though!

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
imagemaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imagemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-January-2008 at 17:54
Many thanks for the replies.

New fuel filter coming tomorrow so hopefully this will cure problem.

Best regards,
Tony
Hasso View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2008 at 11:59

There is a interier pump NR 7 on link in one of the tankhalfs and it pump fuel over to the other tankhalf, if it dont work the car stops when is shows 15 liters on the instrument.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DR51&mospi d=47561&btnr=16_0209&hg=16&fg=15

There could also be bad connection or damage cables on the electric fulepump under the rear seat. Or the pump itself who is in his last hours of work.

Fuelrelay is also possible, try to change with the relay fore heated rear window they are in the same socket over the battery.

Edited by Hasso
BR Hasso
BMW 540T 2001 6 speed.
BMW 316G (biogas) -1998
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bilder.asp?bil=40895
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=45700
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=40865
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=45749

imagemaker View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imagemaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2008 at 04:08
New fuel filter fitted and all seems well at the moment
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-January-2008 at 23:27

Pleased to hear it, fingers crossed!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic