Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedAngel Eyes bulbs (E39)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Angel Eyes bulbs (E39)
    Posted: 30-December-2007 at 11:44

Hi Guys (and girls),

First of all, Merry Christmas and "all the best when it comes"

After the discussion after the AGM Meet in December about Angel Eyes and CCFL rings I came to the conclusion that I preferred the colour of the aftermarket rings on the E46s to the yellow / orangish colour of my OEM Hella units.

Misfortune struck a week or so later when one of my bulbs actually blew and the car looked stupid. I took it to a local accessory place and asked if there was anything he could do to make the Angel Eyes look brighter and whiter. "No" was his reply "but I'll have a look" I explained that on the E39 the Hella Angel Eyes were supplied by a single bulb and not like the rings that can be bought that need voltage inverters. I took the bulb holder out and showed him. he managed to get the bulb loose but it wasn't for coming out and he reconned he'd have to split the holder and try and get it out that way and solder in a bulb that he had lying around to try it. I didn't fancy this and said I'd contact BMW. I did this and they were happy to supply me with a new bulb, complete with holder etc but this took me back to the horrible colour.

I decided to set about splitting the housing myself (nothing ventured eh??)  and got the blown bulb out. the holder is held together with a splodge of melted plastic that effectively welds the two bits together. Its the bit that has the waffle type pattern on it.

After this was chipped away the two halves can be pulled apart.

I was driving back through the town I live in and stopped in at the garage, guess what, they had bulbs that were the same fittment. £1.75 was handed over and I was on my way. The bulb was fitted and guess what???? it looked crap too.

This is because the original bulbs are Halogen bulbs and the ones I bought were normal fillament types, still, it got me legal even if my car now looked like it was squinting at you. original bulb on the right.

A bit of research and I found Xenon tint, Halogen bulbs that were the same size but had a slightly different fitment in that they had pins at 240 derees as opposed to 180 degrees. (guess what I needed) Still, they were the closest I could find that may give me the whiter colour that I was looking for. £15 was duly spent and they arrived. note the bluish tint at the tip.

I had to file one of the ligs to make it go into the holder so the bulb is now held in with 1 lug and a filed down one pressing on the housing to give a snug pressure fit. They're not loose and are working fine.

I'm not sure if the light is exactly what I wanted but I recon its whiter than the originals.

I recon its better, any comments ??

Edited by Cambell
Sponsored Links

stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevie53 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 12:39
they do look a lot better but the outer ring seems to have lost some of their definition or is that just my bleary bloodshot eyes.

btw cambell at the agm when we spoke about my old lights, the screen and nav unit. anyway I'm going to try and off load them in the new year but will give you first refusal on any of it, PM me if you're interested.

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrą mai tedesco di nuovo haha
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 14:04

I would prob spend the little extra and get these that everyone is raving about

http://www.umnitza.com/product_info.php?cPath=73_141_178& ; ;products_id=1111

or contact Teddy at ssdd-motorsport as he can supply them also for a round £100..Plug and play

Pics are e90,but same idea

Edited by Pete330
Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 14:25

nice job, subtle but different

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 18:44

Originally posted by stevie53 stevie53 wrote:

the outer ring seems to have lost some of their definition or is that just my bleary bloodshot eyes.

I recon it was just the camera not coping with the different light intensity, as you'll know the rings are purely reflective and haven't been changed at all, just the bulbs.

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 21:15

Originally posted by stevie53 stevie53 wrote:

they do look a lot better but the outer ring seems to have lost some of their definition or is that just my bleary bloodshot eyes.

It nae just your eyes Stevie even with my glasses on i am having the blurred vision going to have to stop going out on practise runs.

Campbell they look good still have not made mind up whether I'm going to do the 540 yet are they you original lights or replacement units if replacements do you still have the headlight adjustment.

Ian

If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 21:23
Originally posted by Bigian Bigian wrote:

Campbell they look good still have not made mind up whether I'm going to do the 540 yet are they you original lights or replacement units if replacements do you still have the headlight adjustment.

Ian

Hi Ian,

They are replacement headlights that I installed earlier this year, as I opted for the OEM Hella units, I have full functions, adjusters, self levelling etc.

Bigian View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bigian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 21:38
That something for me to mull over. Will have a good think cheers. Ian
If you can't be good don't get caught
--------------------------
alym786 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alym786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 21:42
Hi Cambell,

I like them, looks a lot brighter! I fitted the CCFL rings earlier this year,
Not a good photo as was taken with my phone...

Edited by thepits
E46 328ci now sold :(
523 iAN View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 523 iAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 22:02

Cambell, as another option ..  Halford's do a bulb that has a slight blue tinge to it or you could try LED bulb's

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-WHITE-T4W-Car-BA9s-4-LED-Dashboard -Side-Light-Bulbs_W0QQitemZ180200632414QQihZ008QQcategoryZ72 233QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

2003-530i SE
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 22:11

LED's are good - except as they draw significantly less current to normal filiment bulbs they confuse the computer into thinking the light isn't working, so producing an error warning.

Can be sorted with a resistor or two - there is a thread on here somewhere about it.

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 22:28

Hi again guys,

Thanks Ian and Pitsy, I've ordered a set of those LED bulbs to try, I was looking for that in Haflords but couldn't see them. I actually went to Malpin and bought the components to make my own, you just need high intensity LEDs and aproximately 1k ohm resistor per side but it was way too fiddly to get the LEDs in the correct position so reflecter comes into play. I'll post up the pics when the LEDs come.

Aly, the CCFL's look great, I fitted them to Issys E46 coupe this year aswell.

alym786 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alym786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2007 at 19:44
Originally posted by Cambell Cambell wrote:

Aly, the CCFL's look great, I fitted them to Issys E46 coupe this year aswell.

Thanx.. Only cost £45... Bought myself a spare set just in case!
E46 328ci now sold :(
523 iAN View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 523 iAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2007 at 19:50

Originally posted by alym786 alym786 wrote:

Thanx.. Only cost £45... Bought myself a spare set just in case!

you were ripped off!!    i payed £29.99 for mine, with P&P

2003-530i SE
Tomski View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tomski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2008 at 09:10
Hi Cambell
I like both ways,the lights looks perfect.
The other thing is that side lights doesnt have to be so bright.Unless you just wanted a white color insted of yellow.
For example i choose a blue one for my car (ccfl) they are maybe not so bright during day but at night looks nice.And its something different.Did you read an article about headlights with angel eyes in different colors?Like red,blue etc.Something that BMW is going to sell as originals.
The only one thing is i had a warning light on all the time and i dont know if i should fit them again.(i bought a new car,i will post some pics later this week)
Gary525 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2008 at 22:45
Hi does anyone know where i can get a set of replacement bulbs for mine.

My whole left side has gone out had one one the rings working on that side then the other went out the day.

Mine is a 98 525 TDS e39.

Really need it replaced and been looking everywhere for these.

stephenperry View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2008 at 22:57

Originally posted by Gary525 Gary525 wrote:

for standard ones, bmw dealer

for the other ones, try www.powerbulbs.com

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Cambell View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2008 at 00:51
Originally posted by stephenperry stephenperry wrote:

Originally posted by Gary525 Gary525 wrote:

for standard ones, bmw dealer

for the other ones, try www.powerbulbs.com

I got mine from there, you have a PM

Gary525 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary525 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2008 at 12:02
thanks ppl and for the pm campbell..

im gonna go out and try take the bulb out. I've heard people say the the holder of the bulb brakes when you try to remove it, did you have any trouble campbell.

Oh and what do i need the file for ?
Hasso View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hasso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2008 at 13:27

I just order from powerbulbs H6W, no shippingcoust nice !!.

I have 6000K on lowbeam and have just install HID xenon 5000K on highbeam and the angeleys seem little to "yellow" know.

So I hope the blue bulbs give a little better look "in the eyes".

http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/blogg.asp?bil=40895

BR Hasso
BMW 540T 2001 6 speed.
BMW 316G (biogas) -1998
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bilder.asp?bil=40895
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=45700
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=40865
http://www.autopower.se/galleriet/bmw.asp?bil=45749

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic