Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW Car Club renewal approaching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW Car Club renewal approaching
    Posted: 28-December-2007 at 17:43

Can someone convince me, 'why I should renew my BMW Car Club membership?'

Sponsored Links

Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 17:45
Nope
Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 17:51

why the black eye?

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 17:52
I just renewed mine cos I got a discount on insurance that worked out more than the cost of renewal. Apart from that.........................no.
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Jack735 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 18:27
Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

why the black eye?

Thought someone might have a cyber-pop at me

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 18:29

Why would you need convincing? You know the score already, it's either of value to you or it isn't.

It's a good club if you take full advantage of it otherwise it becomes just an expensive subscription to read the magazine.

Classic insurance sometimes requires membership to the appropriate club.. my cars are definately cheaper to insure on the club scheme than elsewhere.. I shop around every year just to make sure.

Internet forums may well be the modern day 'clubs'.. but you can't beat discussing your next trackday at a proper club meet in a real pub.

Nick
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 18:38

Stone-IslandV8 that seems a valid reason but, I already have insurance discount via E36Coupe.com without a £40 annual sub.

Forum(s) 1 v BMW Car Club 0

Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 18:49

Nick this isn't to justify why you joined, it's to convince me why I should renew.

As you pointed out, 'it's either of value to you or it isn't.' and I'm just not sure any more..

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 20:34

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

Why would you need convincing? You know the score already, it's either of value to you or it isn't.
He's obviously in two minds....

It's a good club if you take full advantage of it otherwise it becomes just an expensive subscription to read the magazine.
Please explain 'full advantage'

Classic insurance sometimes requires membership to the appropriate club.. my cars are definately cheaper to insure on the club scheme than elsewhere.. I shop around every year just to make sure.
You said it - sometimes...

Internet forums may well be the modern day 'clubs'.. but you can't beat discussing your next trackday at a proper club meet in a real pub. Nick
Which some still do - without being a member.

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-December-2007 at 23:30

The thing is, I generally get the feeling that Indy's are the best way to go when servicing the car instead of a dealership (no-brainer there really for older cars, and probably my next car when it arrives)

I am happier paying the going rate to an Indy who knows the car, opposed to some 'target seeking' stealer so, the discounts don't really apply when it comes to servicing.

So, why can't Indy (forums and unofficial clubs) be the best way to provide equal (or maybe better) services offered by 'Officially endorsed' clubs?

I am aware of insurance liability at meets etc..but wait a minute..

Ask yourself this.. when travelling from A to B then back to A again for a meet or event, does this require BMW Car Club membership?

Why should I, as a member, be paying not much less than non-members at events anyway?

If I suggest something different to do, why does everyone instantly assume that I have volunteered to organise it???

What's the point of having Area Organisers??

As for Nick and other trackday fans, the BMW Car Club makes sense but, for non track-days?? why? who gains? who loses?

I am not a rebellious person (my teenage years maybe different thou ) but, in this current financial climate, alternatives can be bettered if properly addressed and resources administered.

The way I see it just now (which is causing the doubt) is for instance:

Why buy a pair of Nike branded trainers at £100 when you can get the same trainers (OEM) branded differently for £40 elsewhere?

I'll sit on this decision for now and wait and see what your input is..

shorty View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shorty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2007 at 00:58

Rob, your question about driving from "A" to "B" you don't need to be a member to do so as your own car insurance will cover that , what the B.M.W.C.C Insurance covers as i see it is if as an example our Gazebo blows over & hits a car which is then damaged or a member of our group runs some poor sod over .

All events that charge a fee to enter ( £6.00 per car e.c.t ) everyone pays the same & all such events priority is given to club members & IF there are spaces left then non - members will be given a place .

No one is asking you to organize any thing, that is what I'm here for , But if, as you suggested "A golf day " you , being a player are in a better position than me ( as a non player ) to gage the requirements of what is involved, then come to me with available dates that you have spoken to the Golf club about & you & i work on it together. So that is the reason for having "Regional Reps "

The reason that the Karting falls flat year after year is "Folk!!! ". Interested at the A.G.M but ask them for "Pound Notes " in February & no one is interested .

At the end of the day no one can decide for you , if you feel you get nothing in return for your fee & feel that the cash can be of better used on something else then don't renew . You would still be welcome to all the meets .

Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2007 at 10:37

Originally posted by shorty shorty wrote:

No one is asking you to organize any thing, that is what I'm here for , But if, as you suggested "A golf day " you , being a player are in a better position than me ( as a non player ) to gage the requirements of what is involved, then come to me with available dates that you have spoken to the Golf club about & you & i work on it together. So that is the reason for having "Regional Reps "

I beg to differ shorty, someone is Guilty in this thread!

Another thing, I am not a member of ANY golf course and haven't played for 3 years, so why does everyone ASSUME that I do? I merely suggested something, and judging by the response in this thread, it looks like I have to organise it too, what IS the point?

I don't have the time or inclination to do any of this, and if I wanted to, I would have stood for election at the AGM.

This is the kind of thing which really pisses me off when it comes to renewing

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2007 at 12:44

It`s really got to be your decision based on the thoughts about your thoughts to wards the club membership.

The way i look at it is

1. I enjoy the magazine with the input that other members and myself can put into it

2. I have saved almost the membership fee every year with discounts from other Indy`s that we have deals with and discounts on entrants fees in Munich for Tours etc (INC VIP Tour as i was a member of the club) Not to mention the referrals that pay for them self

3.I enjoy being involved in a club and would expect to pay a membership no matter if it was a Golf club or car club

Yes there is Forums available UK wide that offers meets,events and discounts,but to turn up to the home of BMW and say Hi i am members of say The ultimate BMW Forum UK do you offer discount,I kind of think they would say No,but to have someone that recognizes who you are gets my vote all the time

As far as your other comments go about why should you arrange something that you suggest,then if you don't want to get involved in organizing it then simply say so and ask (Via forum,pm or email) to any committee member.We will then discuss the matter and post on the forums to get an idea of the numbers interested

No one is forcing you to do anything

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2007 at 15:11

Well my undecided festive mind has been made up..

BMW Car Club member for another year..The contributing factors are:

1. RAC Discount (which I forgot about)

2. Parts/ Labour discount at participating establishments (Service II due later this year re-coups the £40 in discounts)

that's about it... 

topazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2007 at 16:44
I have not bothered renewing mine since the little spat a while ago and I did not reciecve any benifit from joining it be it discounts or insurance. You guys in the Uk benifit more then us in Ireland at the moment but if the same benifits were available here I might reconsider 
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2007 at 18:06
Originally posted by Pete330 Pete330 wrote:

3.I enjoy being involved in a club and would expect to pay a membership no matter if it was a Golf club or car club

and that's about it.. it's probably the only valid reason anyway.
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2007 at 22:27

Rudy ££££££ for the mag, I just don't have the time for anthing alse for me. and I got a demanding phone call on why I had not re-newed my membership on a sunday arftanoon Finished it off there are other things but I'm not going to say.

But It could be good 4 you. 

Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 14:13

Well my undecided festive mind has been made up..BMW Car Club member for another year..The contributing factors are:1. RAC Discount (which I forgot about)  2. Parts/ Labour discount at participating establishments (Service II due later this year re-coups the £40 in discounts)

that's about it... 

Based on your contributing factors, I still won't renew.

1/ I get RAC Discount by being a member of the British Motorsport Marshals Club - and that's only £27.50 pa  (and this club gives me personal insurance cover, not only when I am at a meeting, but also travel to and from)

2/ I can still get discount on parts from BMW dealers, GS&F, etc. (up to 20% has been known!)

3/ I still get on the display stands at Gaydon

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 15:04

Surely its not about what financial rewards you get for being a member. Its about belonging to something and what you can give to the club and its members because you are an enthusiast. Simon says his BMMC membership is only £27.50p but add to that his time spent marshalling, travelling to and from events, fuel costs, going for training etc, etc , etc thats a hell of a lot more than the membership fee. He does that because he is an enthusiast but it probably costs him hundred of pounds every year. To be a member of my local golf club costs £2k per annum then everytime you play its costs a green fee with a 50% discount so I might claw back £120 to £150 a year. I get 25% dicount on clubs and clothing so I probably save another £100 a year. Still would leave me £1700 out of pocket. So £35 to be a member of the BMWcc doesn't seem much. You don't get a magazine from the golf club just a one sheet newsletter every month.

Its all relative. You pay to join any club and its for you to decide if you wish to be involved or not but membership of any club is about getting involved and having a good time and if £35 seems too high a price to pay then don't bother. Personally I'd be willing pay a lot more because I get a lot of enjoyment from getting involved in all the events, days out and so on throughout the year.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 15:45
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

3/ I still get on the display stands at Gaydon

Your mugshot has been circulated

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic