FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW Car Club renewal approaching

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: BMW Car Club renewal approaching
    Posted: 10-July-2008 at 22:55
nope, the ahem cough E34 estate
Best Wishes

Nigel

Sponsored Links

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2008 at 08:02
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

I have a council estate bmw!

You mean the ahem cough Vectra?

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2008 at 23:59

I'm not a member, fatty doesn't like me , I have a council estate bmw!

Best Wishes

Nigel

Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-July-2008 at 08:45

Originally posted by Nick Nick wrote:

but you can't beat discussing your next trackday at a proper club meet in a real pub.

Aye over a glass of orange juice or coke as we have all driven our BMW's to the pub.  Just like all the bikers do on a Sunday afternoon.

Interesting thread.  I missed this when it came out over Crimbo.

I have to admit, I had the form filled out for application to join and it was lying on my desk on the day when I received the phone call regarding my car having been stolen with the keys from a city centre BMW Dealer. 

I think I got as far as putting it in an envelope but then I didn't write the cheque....and I still haven't.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
540 V8 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2008 at 23:23

Just for the record, I have not renewed this year. I am in the motor trade already and so get plenty of discounts where applicable, due to family committments I am unable to attend most if any of the meetings and apart from that, though I find the mag interesting, it's not worth £40 a year.

Therefore I have broken the habit of a lifetime and quit!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
MBW1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2008 at 21:49
I don't know, call me a reformed character!

Edited by MBW1
Nick View Drop Down
BMWCC Area Organiser Yorks & Humber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2008 at 21:27
Now then MBW1 - you used to mock us lot summat chronic, now yer me bezzy mate!
MBW1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MBW1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-July-2008 at 19:51
Originally posted by Pete330 Pete330 wrote:

3.I enjoy being involved in a club and would expect to pay a
membership no matter if it was a Golf club or car club

Precisely. Car Clubs are like any other kind of club - you get out what you
put in. I go to two club meets a month, go to about 2-3 weekend events a
month, have met a whole bunch of new people and have organised a BMW
Car Club stand at a car show. No big deal I'm sure, but I enjoy being in
the BMWCC and it beats banging away at a keyboard having forum
discussion with people you don't even know.
How much is it now, 40 quid a year? That's about 70p a week.
540 V8 View Drop Down
Lick my badge

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 540 V8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-January-2008 at 22:03

Well, my input would be, I renewed this year but only because I had placed an advert for several items and in the BMWCC magazine I would get the best audience for my ad which in turn would have a) cost me money to advertise in other magazines/papers and b) Hopefully I'd have made more than my money back than the cost of membership. As it is I sold bugger all! and wish I hadn't bothered!

I would have gone to Gaydon had it not been for my 3 year old being in hospital but after the event I realised membership doesn't count for that either (they let Simon in for god sake!)

The magazine is informative and a good read and if you were to pay for a years subscription to most mags, they'd set you back a similar amount.

Being in the motor trade myself, I get my own advantage of discounts which are probably even better than what the club can offer.  I also don't really have much time to frequent some of the events that come up. Face it, most of the guys who can don't have young kids like I do!

So I myself have asked this question, as has SWMBO! maybe next year I won't, who knows, I might be here asking the same!!

Mike

Current:E34 540i Touring 6 speed manual(Mpower bodykit & suspension)& Chrysler Voyager 3.3 V6 auto
Previous:E34 530iSE AC Schnitzer suspension.
E28 525e auto-Standard
Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

but the BMWCC hasn't changed, hence I found no reason to renew my membership.

It has on my patch Simon, although I can't vouch for others.

We have broken the huge North East Region down into smaller local areas.. two of them are fronted by old DC members that are remaining very active.

We still come together for the big regionals like the concours and the trackdays.. but the smaller localised meets are the way forward, we just need a few more of them to cover the region properly.
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 16:27

Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

lol nero

f-off nero

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 16:09

I enjoy the cars and the progress of the marque, and have done so from the early eighties up to and beyond my first BMW in 1989.

Not everyone likes to get involved in all events and I would rather take a back seat and contribute ideas opposed to participate in events which don't interest me. (can't please everyone )

The club is always bigger than the member, no-matter whom but, it's up to the members to contribute in some way to improve the club. IMO

There are other issues which are being addressed but, I'm not willing to divulge these on THE forum.  

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 15:55

Well said Steven. I have no particular axe to grind about the BMWCC it just doesn't suit my needs as a BMW owner, so I'm not a member.

When I first got a BMW I joined the BMW Drivers Club, and then the BMW Car Car - I soon found out which one catered more for the older/classic BMW.

The BMWDC is sadly no more, but the BMWCC hasn't changed, hence I found no reason to renew my membership.

p.s. when I last checked, my marshalling was costing me over £1k pa  - hopefully I've now found a way to offset some of the cost in 2008

But don't care.
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 15:47
lol nero
nero View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Just call me Tripod

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 15:45
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

3/ I still get on the display stands at Gaydon

Your mugshot has been circulated

steven.seed View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steven.seed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 15:04

Surely its not about what financial rewards you get for being a member. Its about belonging to something and what you can give to the club and its members because you are an enthusiast. Simon says his BMMC membership is only £27.50p but add to that his time spent marshalling, travelling to and from events, fuel costs, going for training etc, etc , etc thats a hell of a lot more than the membership fee. He does that because he is an enthusiast but it probably costs him hundred of pounds every year. To be a member of my local golf club costs £2k per annum then everytime you play its costs a green fee with a 50% discount so I might claw back £120 to £150 a year. I get 25% dicount on clubs and clothing so I probably save another £100 a year. Still would leave me £1700 out of pocket. So £35 to be a member of the BMWcc doesn't seem much. You don't get a magazine from the golf club just a one sheet newsletter every month.

Its all relative. You pay to join any club and its for you to decide if you wish to be involved or not but membership of any club is about getting involved and having a good time and if £35 seems too high a price to pay then don't bother. Personally I'd be willing pay a lot more because I get a lot of enjoyment from getting involved in all the events, days out and so on throughout the year.

1998 E36 318iS Saloon   
1989 E30 318i. Coupe
2000 E39 520i Touring

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2007 at 14:13
Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

Well my undecided festive mind has been made up..BMW Car Club member for another year..The contributing factors are:1. RAC Discount (which I forgot about)  2. Parts/ Labour discount at participating establishments (Service II due later this year re-coups the £40 in discounts)

that's about it... 

Based on your contributing factors, I still won't renew.

1/ I get RAC Discount by being a member of the British Motorsport Marshals Club - and that's only £27.50 pa  (and this club gives me personal insurance cover, not only when I am at a meeting, but also travel to and from)

2/ I can still get discount on parts from BMW dealers, GS&F, etc. (up to 20% has been known!)

3/ I still get on the display stands at Gaydon

Edited by thepits

But don't care.
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2007 at 22:27

Rudy ££££££ for the mag, I just don't have the time for anthing alse for me. and I got a demanding phone call on why I had not re-newed my membership on a sunday arftanoon Finished it off there are other things but I'm not going to say.

But It could be good 4 you. 

Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
Nick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2007 at 18:06
Originally posted by Pete330 Pete330 wrote:

3.I enjoy being involved in a club and would expect to pay a membership no matter if it was a Golf club or car club

and that's about it.. it's probably the only valid reason anyway.
topazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-December-2007 at 16:44
I have not bothered renewing mine since the little spat a while ago and I did not reciecve any benifit from joining it be it discounts or insurance. You guys in the Uk benifit more then us in Ireland at the moment but if the same benifits were available here I might reconsider 
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic