Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Bought incorrect alloys for my 318i :( Please help
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBought incorrect alloys for my 318i :( Please help

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bought incorrect alloys for my 318i :( Please help
    Posted: 25-November-2007 at 23:46

Hello Guys,

This is my first post.

I was planning to buy new wheels for my 3 series existing ones were not upto mark. So looking at the manual of BMW 318i 2001 e46 model I bought 2 pair of wheels 2x225 / 40 / 18 ZR FRONT and 2x255 / 40 / 18 ZR REAR. When I fitted those wheels front one fitted seamlessly and was looking good. But the rear ones are more wider then what it should. It is actually coming out of car body by 1/2 inch, which means they are touching body under load, or without load if you take sharp turn/go on humps.

These wheels are taken off M3 and they are in very good condition. I am shocked by this as these tyre width is listed even on my front door tyre pressure sticker.

I am not sure what is is size of rear wheel rim (8J or 8.5J), how to solve this problem? Do I need to replace full kit and loose most of the money I put in to buy these? Can I fit 225 tyres (if I buy new) to wider (8.5J) rims?

Please suggest the best way out.

Regards,
Afsar Imam

Sponsored Links

kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdevitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2007 at 23:51
The offset on M3 wheels is too aggressive for your car, and they'll never fit. Sell them on eBay.
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2007 at 00:30

Can I fit 225/45/ZR18 in REAR ?

JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2007 at 00:36
No, it's the offset's that's wrong, not the tyres
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2007 at 00:44

Ohh now I got the point, so where can I find offset which will fit in my 3 sereis?

Btw. thanks a lot for your quick response.

Regards,
Afsar Imam

Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2007 at 10:30

Have a look on ebay etc for another 2 front alloys from an m3

Problem solved

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
alym786 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alym786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2007 at 20:02
Pop up some pictures.
E46 328ci now sold :(
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2007 at 21:22

Don't know how to attach pics but I am pasting ebay link I bought this from.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1& ;item=130173876419&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=003

--Afsar

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2007 at 21:46
As said above, the rear offset ( 20 IIRC) is too much for the non-M car.....so keep the fronts,sell the rears and replace with 2 more fronts.....or flog as a job lot and go M3 replica route...or talk to Mark at BMAutosport who'll do p'ex against his wheels.

BMAutosport

If you go down the route of selling the set then, since the tyres would appear to be decent, take the tyres off and sell the wheels only then keep the tyres for a set of other 18s or flog the tyres off.

Edited by Stone-IslandV8
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-November-2007 at 21:59

The problem is I am unable to buy just two front of same (already bought) design as no one on ebay is willing to sell a pair, they want to sell all 4 in a go (and makes sense also). This indicates I may have trouble in selling just a pair after I buy.

I really like these wheels very much and they are almost new (driven 4-5k miles only) and branded absolutely no crubing/scuffing. I would love to keep them if there is any way to solve rear wheels problem. btw. what is M3 replica route?

Thanks for providing all this info.

--Afsar

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2007 at 19:12
Not sure bout solving it but if you really wanted to then the wheels might be able to be machine down to fit??? Not sure, someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to shed some light on this.

M3 reps.....replicas ie made by another company to look almost exactly the same as the originals. If you get a good quality make of rep then you shouldnt have any problems.

Mark at BMautosport may well take your genuines in p'ex so reducing any cost to you.
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-November-2007 at 23:02

Stone, after few email exchange with Mark I learned that he isn't interested in 18" M3 wheels because they are stock one and everyone wants upgrade to 19 or else they already have that.

Can some expert please shed some light on machine down thing before I mourn for lost money.

~Afsar

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2007 at 09:31

No expert but machining the wheels down will result in the whole wheel move in towards the centre line of the car, so you need to make sure you have enough clearence on the inner wing and your shock absorber and strut......... remember a E46 M3 has bigger arches to allow for  clearence of these wheels.

Once machined no one will want those wheels........... sell them and buy something that fits.

BTW Welcome to the forum.

Edited by Sporty1

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2007 at 11:38
Is machining down really worth? I have heard that they can't machine down more then 3 mm which is not enough to fit my 3 series, the offset has to brought down to 43-45 mm.

I guess wing depth should accommodate these tyres because they do accept 255 wide tyres with proper offset rim.

Where can we find more info about it, any number, web link? How much does that cost?

Thanks for all the info mate.

Regards,
Afsar
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2007 at 11:55
Standard E46 3's run 8.5j x 18 ET50 on the rear, what you have is 9j x 18 ET 26. So you would have to machine off about 25mm to get it to sit right.

Edited by Sporty1

afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2007 at 12:17
And do you think this is possible? Gimme any link and any hint how to find garage where I can get it done mate.

-Afsar
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2007 at 09:57

Mate... the wheels (and tyres) are the only thing keeping your car on the road and in the direction you want it to go in. I would not machine a wheel down to that sort of level, as I said I'm no expert but the wheel was designed in a certain way and removing that much metal has got to be unsafe.

Like I and other have said sell them and get some thing else, if it was an easy job to get OE 18" M3 wheels on a non M car then loads of people would have dont it. JMHO 

If you really like those wheels then buy some replica's........

http://www.replicaalloywheels.co.uk/index.php?page=catalog&a mp;cat=bmwreplicaalloywheels

alym786 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alym786 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2007 at 19:23
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Mate... the wheels (and tyres) are the only thing keeping your car on the road and in the direction you want it to go in. I would not machine a wheel down to that sort of level, as I said I'm no expert but the wheel was designed in a certain way and removing that much metal has got to be unsafe.

Like I and other have said sell them and get some thing else, if it was an easy job to get OE 18" M3 wheels on a non M car then loads of people would have dont it. JMHO 

If you really like those wheels then buy some replica's........

http://www.replicaalloywheels.co.uk/index.php?page=catalog&a mp;a mp;cat=bmwreplicaalloywheels

I totally agree... I would just buy a new set!
E46 328ci now sold :(
afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2007 at 22:04

Now even I agree to this expert advise. So, already advertised on gumtree and ebay. :-) Someone is coming to see tomorrow.

I really appreciate your help on this. I love this community.

-Afsar

afsar View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afsar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2007 at 17:27
Sold them for £370. Going to buy one very soon.

--Afsar
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic