Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHot air only when accelerating

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmwgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hot air only when accelerating
    Posted: 02-October-2007 at 06:14
I just got a new radiator, water pump, fan clutch and coolant sensor...but it did not fix my problem...

When I accelerate my heater blows out hot air...but when I am not accelerating and only "coasting" my heater blows out cool air...

Anybody know why???

It is a 1995 325IC
Sponsored Links

TRACKPIG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRACKPIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2007 at 07:44
air in coolant system
REMEMBER- POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT KELLY REMOULDS
E30 325 Sport - Gone but not forgotten
E36 M3 evo
Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Piece
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2007 at 07:55

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a thermostat problem.

You did not mentioned if you got that changed at the same time as the other stuff.  Pity cos you need to take the fan clutch off to make room to get to the thermostat housing.

If your temp gauge goes up and down at the same time as the heater blows hot and cold, this will confirm a thermostat problem.  I had this on my E39.  New stat cured that problem.

The engine will get hotter under load (acceleration) and cool down slightly when you are off the power or coasting.  My old Vauxhall Senator used to do this.  The heater was hot on the Motorway and I could feel it getting cold when coasting on the slip road leaving the Motorway.  Problem went when I changed the thermostat.

Remember to get new seals and gaskets fitted when changing the thermostat.

Hope this helps.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2007 at 09:56

What was the original problem? Same as the current problem?

BTW; Hello and welcome

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2007 at 07:34
sent via email:
Originally posted by bmwgirl bmwgirl wrote:

No I noticed the heat/no heat thing right before summer...but then I didn't run it all summer.  So I didn't think much about it.

Just about 2 weeks ago it started to have intermittant heat surges into the red (usually when I was idiling with the A/C on) with no rhyme or reason.. and about the time I was going to take it in...it would regulate and seem normal again...and it would never "smell hot".  But then it went into the red...had "check engine lite" and was steaming...with a lot of water underneath...this is probably when water pump went and heat cracked the radiator.

Another strange thing it would do before (but I was told I had a broken coolant sensor so I never worried to much because my coolant level always checked out ok)...was when I would shut off the car it would say "check coolant level"...it is not doing that now...I got a new coolant sensor when I got all the other new stuff...I also forgot to mention I got a new thermostat too!

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2007 at 07:44

Hmm so you got a thermostat fitted then.

Could be something more serious and sinister like a cracked head or cylinder head gasket gone. 

I would get a compression test done on your cooling system, that will check for any leaks.

If you remove the oil filler cap, what does the underside look like?  It should look brown/black oily and not white like mayonnaise.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
TRACKPIG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRACKPIG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2007 at 08:18
stills sound like air in the system to me
REMEMBER- POWER IS NOTHING WITHOUT KELLY REMOULDS
E30 325 Sport - Gone but not forgotten
E36 M3 evo
Suzuki GSXR 750 Track Piece
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic