Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockede30 no hot air from heater help!!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kizersozsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: e30 no hot air from heater help!!!!!
    Posted: 28-September-2007 at 13:29

Hi all, can any1 help me with this problem, my wee baur is'nt giving me any hot air in side at all, only cold, this happened once before but fixed itself after a good spin, I.ve drained the rad and engine and flushed the system to make way for fresh coolant for the comming winter, but its still the same, blowing out cold air, i bled it for half an hour but not much air is comming out

can any1 shed some light on it, its a 320i e30 1987 baur

kizersozey

current 90 E34 520,
        03 d4d avensis
Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2007 at 13:44

Sound like you have an air lock, I'll assume your bleeding the system witht the heater turned to hot?

If not then try that, if you are then keep going, try giving the system a 'head of water', i.e. get a large funnel or vessel that fits tightly into the expansion tank and fill it with water and run the engne, the weight of the water will help to force out the trapped air. 

I'm assuming that the temp of the engine  is normal and not unusally cold or hot, which would indicate thermostat or water pump problems.

HTH

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
kizersozsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kizersozsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2007 at 13:49

hi sporty

yeah the temp gauge is in the middle and and staying put, good idea with thw weight water method, i'll try that. she never gets hot at all so i think pump wise its fine, i have changed thermostat with new one, so that rules out the usual stuff. its probably an air pocket trapped, does this take long to get out?

jason

kizersozey

current 90 E34 520,
        03 d4d avensis
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2007 at 14:08

It could take a little while... it's one of those how long is a piece of string type things, although the head of water will help.

You could just drive it out, when you park back up leave car for 10 -20 minutes then remove the expansion tank cap and leave it off, as the water cools the air should work it's way out. If your doing this be carefull not to burn yourself.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
kizersozsy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kizersozsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2007 at 14:13

cheers i'll do just that first before any more bleeding,  you've been very helpfull,

jason

kizersozey

current 90 E34 520,
        03 d4d avensis
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2007 at 10:05
This could be the solenoid valve that shuts off water to the interior rad. These are known to fail. The solenoid is accessed from the passenger side footwell. Look to where the pipese come through the bulkhead and go the the heater. You will see acream coloured pipe with a black cube on it.

There is a wire going to this. Check that the voltage switches as you turn the heat dial from cold to hot. If it does, then the solenoid is bust. If it is doesn't, then the switch is bust. It is more normal for the solenoid to go.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic