Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhat are the odds on this ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DecMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are the odds on this ?
    Posted: 02-September-2007 at 20:41

I've been looking for a nice 530d Touring to replace my '99 523 Touring for some time. I usually buy in the U.K. and suffer the VRT so I was looking for an early pre-facelift car in order to minimise the damage. Most cars that come up of this age are pretty mileagy but a few weeks ago one appeared that looked promising. 

Private sale, 1999, one family owned with 46k miles. SE with steptronic, leather and full main dealer history. Sounded great but the price was way out so I did'nt bother. Two weeks later and the price drops to just "very expensive" so I decided to give a ring. If the car was as good as described and as it appeared in the photos and he was willing to talk money - then just maybe !

Anyhow, in the course of the conversation he mentioned that the car had belonged to his mother who had retired to Co. Clare taking the car with her about six years ago and yes she had registered it here under "chage of residence" - 99 CE plate - and then subsequently in mid 2005 she passed the car (with just 26K miles) on to the seller who had put it back on U.K. plates. Bingo, no VRT.

Needless to say I have bought the car and it is as good as I could ever have hoped to find - 5 dealer stamps in the book (3 of them from Pat Keogh in Limerick) and loads of paperwork.

Just wondered what the odds would be on this happening again - think I'll start doing the Lotto !!!

Regards to all.

Dec.

Edited by DecMcD
Sponsored Links

denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
What’s this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2007 at 20:58
Ha ha, well wear... sounds like a good buy!!! 

I picked up my old E34 in England back in 2004 - it was taken over by an Irish guy but never re-registered. I only had to NCT it when I got it back to Ireland!
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-September-2007 at 23:49
Thats brilliant Dec. A three grand saving. Best of luck with the car. The 3.0 diesel has to be one of the best engines out there. The torque is amazing and I think it works great with the steptronic box. You might look into getting the gearbox software updated or cleared. God knows what way it will try to change gear if it was driven by an old woman in Co. Clare for most of it's life. And remember to let it idle before switching off the engine to allow the turbo to slow down.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2007 at 07:40

I'd be seriously worried about those Pat Keogh stamps... Only joking!

Congratulations; sounds like a great buy and well wear!

Good advice from flyingalex on the turbo wind-down procedure, btw.

Edited by larzyh
Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2007 at 12:24
great result! I'd say you had fairly smug look on your face when you went into the vrt office!
Bayerische View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2007 at 12:32

Great story, makes it all the sweeter to get one up on the VRT man and save a shed load of cash. Best of luck with the car.

Regards,

Bayerische

Current: 1989 E24 M635csi
        1996 E36 323i coupe

Previous: 1989 E24 635csi
           2001 E46 330ci
           1987 E28 M5
The blue bullet View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Surfs Up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The blue bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2007 at 12:58

Nice one

Your luck is in Dec.... Buy a few scratch cards on the way home!

DecMcD View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DecMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2007 at 19:50

Thanks to all.

I've put a thousand miles on the car so far and all is fine - including the tranny which changes much like the 523 though the tranny in the 523 is a ZF box while that in the 530d is a GM unit.

I am aware that the turbos in the early cars (to 2000) are known to fail so I am being very carefull with the shutdown procedure, allowing the car to idle for some time before switchoff, particularly if it has had a bit of welly.

This is my first diesel car so the driving experience is a little new to me. I LOVE the torque but am finding it difficult to adjust to the narrow power band. I also love the mpg - did the ring of Kerry last week and it returned 45+ per gallon on the computer.

Anyhow, it's tucked away in the garage for now 'till I sort out a registration document for it and decide what to do with the 523.

As an aside, I'm doing a transmission fluid and filter change on the 523 next weekend, it's coming up on 90K miles so I figure it's due. Does anybody have any advice - I've checked out the procedure on other forums and given that I have a pit (earmarked for the wife) in the garage I imagine I'll have a pleasent few hours away from the phone and the shopping !!

Again thanks for all the good wishes.

Dec. (Not quite sucking diesel - yet)

Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2007 at 19:56

Congrats, and best of luck with the new wagon.

Oh, yeah; welcome to the forum.

lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2007 at 22:42
well done Dec, i'm glad to hear that news... welcome along also!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic