Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSo close to buying an E46 M3... but....

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GWatson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So close to buying an E46 M3... but....
    Posted: 30-August-2007 at 21:53
Always wanted an M3 and I have found the exact spec but I am still a little nervous to complete the deal.

The car is an Sept 03 with all the toys inc TV and Sat Nav. Dealer is asking for £25K with 19K on the clock. If I can get it for £24K with warranty, serviced etc I'd be happy. But with the new M3 what's going to happen to depreciation? Will it really effect it, afterall the new M3 is a completely different market. Saying that I've lost £10K in two years on my Z4.

Other questions, how much is a SAT Nav update? Or rather what's the cost to a dealer, are they likely to just throw it in if I ask?

G

BMW E36 M3 Evo Track Car
Ford Mondeo ST TDCI Estate for everything else
Sponsored Links

Bravo73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2007 at 08:58

£25k for an '03 seems a bit steep. With current prices, you should be looking closer to the £21-22k mark.

The new M3 probably won't have a great effect on 2nd hand prices (especially for '03 cars.) This is mainly due to the fact that anybody who is getting the new M3 probably isn't chopping an old M3 for one. He's probably changing an RS4, 911 or AMG for it. These cars might potentially take a knock in prices.

A new SatNav disc (07-02) should only cost the dealer £100 or so. I would definitely be looking at getting that (and the current software upgrade) thrown in for free.

I notice that you're up in Aberdeen. I don't know if it will help at all but if you're willing to travel, M3 prices (and availability) are much better down south.

HTH
B73
'88 M3 EvoII
'03 M3 CSL
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2007 at 09:45

Don't think you need to be too concerned with the E92 M3 hitting residuals just yet as there sold out for this year and next (so I heard), so they will be fetching list, possibly a little more, even slightly used ones.

E.G.

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/228945.htm

Until supply doesn't free up or demand calms down wouldn't worry about that, just buy at the right money.

The car your looking at doesn't sound to badly priced, especially with the low miles, although I'm sure there would be some movement.......JMO.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Joey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2007 at 12:56
GET THE SAT NAV DISC OFF E BAY IT'LL COST YOU PENNYS MY MATE GOT ONE FOR HIS X5 AND IT WORKS PERFECT PLUS IF YOUR DOING A CASH DEAL MAKE SURE YOU SCREW THE DEALER FOR AS MUCH AS YOU CAN COS AT THE END OF THE DAY THERES TOO MUCH CHOICE OUT THERE TO BE GETTING RIPPED OFF
its not what you drive its what drives you
(INITIAL D)
E36 M3 Cabrio Cosmos Black
m3tiko View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m3tiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2007 at 22:11
G...Don't think we've met but I (well H Fairbairns) am/are having a horrendous selling my M3. It's all the usual high spec'd and more but the car has been with them for almost 2 weeks now and they've had 2 test drives to date.

I feel people ARE concerned with the "outgoing" model either that be buying or selling. I myself am waiting in anticipation that I don't get the unfortunate result of having to take a huge hit on the car as I'm banking on some equity to help pay the deposit for the new M3(Sept delivery).

So, yes if you're in the market for an e46 you should be able to semi-dictate what you'd rather pay than the other way round. But and a big one at that is depending on how the ownerships(good or bad) of the new M3 go will imo have a significant influence on the prices of the e46. I believe and correct me if I'm wrong this was the case form the transition of the e36/e46. Prices were pretty stagnant for the outgoing as there were a lot of teething issues with early 46's.

FYI mine is a 2004,31000 miles and has a sticker price of £26995. I left all the bits on it including remapp so car is not "usual" m3...

Best of luck

Tiko

335d evolve 354bhp/742nm....M3 SEE YA!!

Swanny View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie
Individual Mora Metallic E36 328i Conv

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Swanny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-September-2007 at 09:21

G, BMW are doing the SAT NAV update program where you return the old disc from the nav unit and get a new one. The cost of this update disc is £99.99 inc VAT and the cost to us dealers about £71.62.

I would defo chance your arm and get them to throw it in, if they appreciate your custom then they should be able to help you out on this.

Regards

Chris

BMW Parts Advisor, Feel Free To Ask Me Anything !!!!!!
Nico G View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nico G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-September-2007 at 16:44

Let me apply a spanner to the works here !!!

Forgive me for suggesting it, but, for that money, unless you are hell-bent on a low-mileage car wouldn't you do well to think about a E46 CSL ?? If depreciation is a concern, it's a no brainer, sure you'd be looking at £32K+ for a decent example and there are already some rough cars to avoid... Most will still be in warranty (and from what I've heard that's a VERY good thing!) and are a better steer overall.

Despite the higher outlay, you need to look at what the period of YOUR ownership will cost you in depreciation. If you can stretch that little bit more, you might be onto a winner. Only problem apart from the extra cost, and lack of toys, would be the impact on the value by putting many miles on it, if of course you'll be doing that. If not, better still !! and then, there's the NOISE

2p

Nick.

SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-September-2007 at 18:42
I agree with Nico, but its finding that right one, as he says, there are already alot of rough ones out there.
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic