15 [34.88%]
4 [9.30%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daytime Running Lights
    Posted: 31-August-2007 at 15:56
...but front fogs only light up a few feet in front of you - not much use if you are travelling at more than 30mph.

Fogs are dazzling too, just to different degrees. They have a dispersion pattern.
Sponsored Links

cr1272 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I
Rockstars get up at the crack of noon..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cr1272 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2007 at 14:36

I've used dips during the day for years, to be seen. Especially having a black car.At night, I also use my front fogs, to light up the sides of the road close to the car, for potholes etc

(Didn't help the other night as I drove home from footie in celbridge, just at the end of westin airport near lucan, there is a mother of a hole in the road. BANG...  all ok though.)

Current: Black '00 e46 323 CI auto
Previous: Black '02 Peugeot 206 XSI
www.fairuzamusic.com
www.myspace.com/fairuza
www.DogTrainingIreland.ie

bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2007 at 14:04
I run fogs and side's all the time I don't count them as fogs there not dazzaling The fogs I need on at night because the heads are so C*** and HID's on e23's are a as to fit I would still run them all the same never uses rears unless its very fogy I hate rear fogs in the rain

Edited by bmw1066
Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-August-2007 at 13:19
If it is bright out I run without any lights. If it is any way dim (mornings and cloudy weather usually these days), I'll run sidelights. If it starts to rain where I need the wipers on more or less continuously I'll put on dips.

I never use fogs. Fronts are only useful in foggy conditions where visibility is under 20 feet or so. For the rears I put them on only when visibility is about 100feet or less and there is no one behind me (i.e. if I they can see the car, I don't need the fogs).

I get peeved when I see front or rear fogs on. 99.9% of the time they are being used inappropriately. It is disappointing to see so many people using front fogs when dipped headlight are what should be used. Not so bad with the brightness of summer, but with autumn on its way the constant glare of lights causes me eye fatigue - accelerated by un-necessary use of fogs.

Worse still are the guys at night driving around with front fogs and no headlights on.
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2007 at 22:04
I've had to use my front fogs quite a bit living up the mountains. (because it's foggy quite a bit) I find them very useful. They point low and out to the side so it's easier to see the side of the road and the white line (if there is one). I also really like the look of my car with the front fogs on with the angel eyes and dipped heads so I will have mine on most of the time.

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-August-2007 at 21:50

Into car - switch on dims.

Out of car - switch off dims.

Sin é.

I never use front fogs. I think they're pointless even in fog, after some experimentation. Reef em out and put in more brake ducts

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 10:28
I always use dipped headlights, its just a habot now and i dont even realise i do it, sometimes use the fogs, generally only in the BM as the jeep is a bit too high and i end up getting flashed the whole time to turn them off!
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 08:58
Originally posted by thepits thepits wrote:

Originally posted by BeemaBoy BeemaBoy wrote:

My car can been seen from far away cos I fitted the Blue LED parking lights... Looks strange from far away because you only see 2 bright blue dots... Combined with fog lights...it looks the dogs bo$$ocks on my silver 5...BB

So even more illegal then  - lol

Not in SA

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-August-2007 at 04:09

I always drive with my dipped headlights on. I have done it since I started driving 9 years ago when it was me and 7 other people in the whole country and I'd get flahed every 4 seconds. Attitudes have changed a lot since then and more and more people are copping on. I sometimes use my front fogs too as this adds to my visibility. I don't think front fogs do any harm because they are aimed low. I'm also careful to check my bulbs are aligned properly.

Right now I'm in Toronto where everyone must use running lights. Most use dipped lights but some just have the factory set up which is the indicator bulbs on full time. It's much safer as the cars go in and out of shadows because of the tall buildings.

1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 15:58

My car can been seen from far away cos I fitted the Blue LED parking lights... Looks strange from far away because you only see 2 bright blue dots... Combined with fog lights...it looks the dogs bo$$ocks on my silver 5...BB

is coloured reg lights

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 15:57
Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

Rear fogs occasionally used

a) when the idiot behind is trying to drive so close to me that he could be in my boot

b) when the idiot behind won't turn down his headlights (this is sometimes coupled to slowing down to an unbearably slow speed).

yes me too..
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 15:45

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 14:55

Originally posted by beemerchris beemerchris wrote:

I use the side lights when the conditions are overcast
Waste of time IMHO

Normally can see the car before spotting side-lights (which should be re-named Parking Lights, f-all use for anything else )

My car can been seen from far away cos I fitted the Blue LED parking lights... Looks strange from far away because you only see 2 bright blue dots... Combined with fog lights...it looks the dogs bo$$ocks on my silver 5...

Only problem with using your lights in the day is that it halves the life of uber expensive Osram Cool Blue light bulb

I end up putting my lights on when I leave work because I wear dark glasses when driving and forget that I have them on...so everything looks 3 times darker than it actaully is ...

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 14:25

Originally posted by beemerchris beemerchris wrote:

I use the side lights when the conditions are overcast
Waste of time IMHO

Normally can see the car before spotting side-lights (which should be re-named Parking Lights, f-all use for anything else )

What ever happened to the good old Dim-Dip Headlights I used to have on my old E30 325i? That made it impossible to drive on only Parking-Lights

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
The blue bullet View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Surfs Up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The blue bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 12:58
Fogs for fog. My rule of thumb for running lights is if you can notice the dash light up, regardless of the time of day, it's dark enough to leave them on.
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 11:42

DRL's do have to be quite bright to be effective in daylight. My fog lights are not much more bright than my dipped headlights (they both use 55 watt bulbs. I am almost never bothered by other peoples front foglights, unless they're "upgraded" to 110 watt).

I find it odd that the legal requirement (as quoted by some posters) is "visibility of less than 50 meters", since front foglights are specifically designed to spread light wide rather than far forward.

In my view the best use for front foglights is as DRL's.

I would consider daytime front foglights an extremely minor traffic violation that, in my view, redeems itself by having demonstrable safety benefits. I think there are many far more serious offences deserving of enforcement: Unstrapped children, unaccompanied learner drivers, inadequate or faulty lighting, mobile telophony etc etc.

Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 11:32

I use the side lights when the conditions are overcast an side lights and front fogs when its really bad.

Never really use the rear ones other than to get idiots of my tail. (not that that happens to often tho)

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Bayerische View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 11:19

I think it is a very good idea to drive with daytime lights on, I used to drive with my side lights and front fogs but I have been pulled over by the Gardai and the PSNI in the north and told that it is illegal unless the visibility is less than 50 metres to drive with front fogs on so now I just use my side lights.

Regards,

Bayerische

Edited by Bayerische
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 10:55
Returning from Connemara I had a little Japanese car following very closely with full-beam on; I tried to signal with my rear fog, to no avail, eventually pulled over and let him pass only to discover he had his two rear fogs on as well - AAAaarrrrghhh!
Larzyh.
Previously or currently, in the family: '77 E21 320, '78 E21 320, '79 E21 320, '87 E28 520i, '88 E30 325iC, '95 E34 525i, '98 E39 528i, '98 Z3 2.5, '98 E38 740iL, '95 E36 Compact, '99 E36 318iT, '02 E46 318iT, '96 E34 525tdsT, '98 E38 740iL...
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-August-2007 at 10:49

Dipped light all the time, front fogs only in bad visibility conditions.

Rear fogs occasionally used

a) when the idiot behind is trying to drive so close to me that he could be in my boot

b) when the idiot behind won't turn down his headlights (this is sometimes coupled to slowing down to an unbearably slow speed).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic