Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedEver lied to to get cheaper car insurance?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ever lied to to get cheaper car insurance?
    Posted: 19-July-2007 at 16:09

Read this and wondered if it applied to anyone here?

I have in the past but not for a lot of years.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/17072007/389/lied-insurer.html

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Sponsored Links

brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brybusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2007 at 16:26

I always thought "social, domestic and pleasure driving" covered your commute to work...so Yes, i have lied...ive never had an insurer ask me if ill be using my vehicle to commute to work before..i understand business use is a different case but commuting...?

NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISUFNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2007 at 16:30

Ive often wondered about the added extras question, if you buy a bmw with 18" wheels and they say bmw on the wheel and the badge in the centre then to the untried eye they are standard wheels.

After all it like your house flooding due to a washing machine fault, was that the standard washing machine that came with your house sir?, did you notify your house insurance that you changed your washing machine.

I can see it getting to the stage where you have to get an assesment done before you can get insurance.

528 for now
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 08:49

WRT alloys, in theory if the alloys the car has fitted are not standard fit then it is modified. I once got a quote for a Mondeo V6 that had been fitted with an RS bodykit from new and optional bigger alloys. All ordered by the first owner when he originally bought the car. However according to my insurer the car was modified and so they added an extra 20% to the premium.

At the end of the day I guess it depends on how thorough the insurance company check the car and how much the assessor knows about that model. It is unlikely that most would know if you've fitted different BMW alloys, as long as they're not massive and so obviously not what the car would have been fitted with originally.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 08:53

jeepers,

i always thought that when they said modified they were referring to the engine/mechanics of the car, and not alloys or such

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic