Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedForgotten M635csi’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 08:36
Originally posted by 635CSi 635CSi wrote:

Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

spotted a red english reg 635 in celbridge last night.

They are disappearing fast nowadays due to rust, I heard somewhere they suffer most of all from inner wing rust due to it not having any lining. This website currently has a really nice one for sale: http://www.the80semporium.co.uk

Dryle, where have you been by the way??

on holidays in france, she wouldnt let me take the laptop with me

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Sponsored Links

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 08:44
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

Hmm, if it's on a "C"-prefix plate, might be the same one that an acquaintance of mine sold to Ireland last year......and that was a proper M635CSi

i think it was a c prefix if i spot it again i will let you know exact reg plate.

did the m type not have the centre exhaust with the others at the side, Im not up on the different cars and remember seeing one old 6 series in the early 90's and liking the look, didnt the hamster not smash 1 up on top gear.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 09:55

....did the m type not have the centre exhaust with the others at the side...

No. All Sixes of every variation post-May 1982 had centre exhausts. RHD M635CSis (remember, only 524 RHD produced, including 101 of the later "Highline" edition) came to us from February 1985-ish. They were only ever 5-spd manual. Up to September 1987, you could usually spot them because of a deeper front air-dam (and sometimes they had a rear M-Tech skirt plus side skirts also).

Post-September 1987, the homogeneous Highline edition came in, and external differences basically disappeared.

I have no information whether any M635CSis were sold new in Ireland, though I doubt it. You'd have needed to be a political honcho receiving brown envelopes, or a Guinness boss, to have afforded one. By the end of production (1989), they were £45,000+ ex-works in the UK, so Irish ex-works prices would have been some way above that at the time. And that at a time when there was no Celtic Tiger, no Flood / McMahon Tribunals, etc. and the Irish were still emigrating.

Bayerische View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 12:53

The macau blue Highline in particular - please check whether it has a manual gearbox. If not, then it will only be a "Motorsport" at best, and not a proper M635CSi. Without having access to the engine bay, that gearshift will be your only clue, as the Highline Sixes did not have any body trim to differentiate between ordinary, Motorsport, and M635CSi, unlike the earlier chrome-bumpered versions. The "M" badge may be a clue, but some owners had a penchant for plastering it all over their plain Highlines!

QUOTE FROM HORSTAN

Gentlemen,

Both of the cars are definately the much rarer M635csi with the standard getrag 5 speed box,you can tell because M power cars have a small M power insignia on the rev counter, normal sixes just have the regular mpg gauge which was omitted on the M power models. I know because I own M635csi chassis no. 524 which was the last one ever built. I also own an e28 M5 which has the same arrangement.

As I said before, the Macau blue one looks saveable but if someone was to get it off the owner they would want to be getting it very cheap and/or be able to do alot of the bodywork themselves. Sixes especially M's are notoriously expensive to restore and there may indeed be alot more rust lurking in the usual places that I cannot see and that is before you start to work on the M88 engine which will require the timing chain changed if it has not already been done as this car has 98000 miles on it, and I dont think the engine having sat in the wet for the last two years will have done it any favours either.

Just to give some of you an idea of the costs that might be involved in restoring this old girl,

4 new TRX tyres (if you were to keep it original) £1000, 1400euro

2 new front wings @ £500 each, 1400 euro

Timing chain replecement labour and parts £2000 approx. 2800euro

and you will find plenty other things to fix on the car.

This one is not for the feint hearted but having said that I would love to see it back on the road. Horstan is quite correct when he said that only 101 RHD M635 Highlines were built (If you are to believe Munich Legends) so this particular car is very rare and collectible. Ultimately as prices for these cars rise it will become more economical to restore but I fear that if the Macau blue one is left out in the damp for much longer it will suffer the same fate as the red one and become uneconomical.

A number of you have pm'd me asking where the cars are, I will not give out the location to any more people until Mick finds out what the status of the cars is as I dont think its fair to the local residents to have alot of people knocking on their doors and the owner of the cars for that matter as he may not want to sell the cars and could see this as a big intrusion. If Mick is not interested in the cars and the owner does want to sell then perhaps he could pass the details on to whoever is interested.

As I said I would love to see this car back on the road and if the owner does want to sell and someone does take it on, it would be great if they could keep everyone on the forum updated on the restoration by posting photo's etc

Best of luck to whoever gets her (if anyone at all) I am sure there will be plenty of people here on the forum willing to offer advice if a restoration is started.

Regards,

Bayerische. 

Edited by Bayerische
Mick525i View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 13:08

I have left my details on the car so fingers crossed.

I will let you know what, if anything happens. I suspect we will never hear from the owner though.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 13:22
Originally posted by Mick525i Mick525i wrote:

I will let you know what, if anything happens. I suspect we will never hear from the owner though.

Mick

I hope what you left was laminated with this weather, or can you not put the details on cartel and get the last owners details.

Dave Ryle

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 13:24
Originally posted by Bayerische Bayerische wrote:

2 new front wings @ £500 each, 1400 euro

You could get pattern parts for a fraction of that price, they would need a little bit of work to get them fitting correctly but it would still be much, much cheaper.
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 13:28
They don't make pattern front wings for E24 sixes.
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 13:32

They don't make pattern front wings for E24 sixes.

So they don't, I'd say they definbitely do in the UK. Sure have you never seen Wheeler Dealers, they managed to get a new front wing for a W123 E Class!
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 13:38
I can assure you that no one is currently making a pattern front wing for an e24 six series, I know because I restored a regular 635csi highline last year. BMW Mobile Tradition are re manufacturing them but are charging an arm and a leg.
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 13:47

Mick

I hope what you left was laminated with this weather, or can you not put the details on cartel and get the last owners details.

That sounds like a good idea to use cartel, bit I know very little about it, can you access personal information? 

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 13:54
Cartell.ie is the official vehicle history records check for vehicles registered in Ireland.

Has a vehicle been:
Cloned
Imported
Used as a taxi
Written off*
Forged NCT
Forged logbook
Outstanding finance
Replaced engine
Colour changed
Numerous owners
Incorrect spec

if you know any Garda they maybe able to help you, you never know the owner is prob deceased and next of kin dont know anything about the cars.

Dave Ryle

Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 14:08

I would hazard a guess that the owner is still alive and has put the cars on the long finger or lost interest due to the way they have been neatly parked out of the way and the blue one being covered in wax. The blue one also has its rear sun shade up to stop the sun (if we ever got any) cracking the leather.

Regards,

Bayerische

Edited by Bayerische
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 14:36
There is a discussion on boards.ie at the moment - Autocheck.ie or Cartell.ie??
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 14:40

I would hazard a guess that the owner is still alive and has put the cars on the long finger or lost interest due to the way they have been neatly parked out of the way and the blue one being covered in wax. The blue one also has its rear sun shade up to stop the sun (if we ever got any) cracking the leather.

Regards,

Bayerische

The owner is alive and I know his address its just there was no answer.

I hope he is not reading this thread........ he might be abit freeked out

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 15:07

Regards,

Bayerische

Mick

Well that is good news, just keep trying every now and then in the evenings, you are bound to get him/her eventually.

Regards

Bayerische

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 17:19

I can assure you that no one is currently making a pattern front wing for an e24 six series, I know because I restored a regular 635csi highline last year. BMW Mobile Tradition are re manufacturing them but are charging an arm and a leg.

Really?? You should post some pictures up if you can.
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 18:38

Originally posted by 635CSi 635CSi wrote:

Really?? You should post some pictures up if you can.

I sold it a few months ago to make way for the M635csi as that is the car I really wanted.

Regards,

Bayerische

Edited by Bayerische
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 21:33

Regards,

Bayerische

Mick

Well that is good news, just keep trying every now and then in the evenings, you are bound to get him/her eventually.

Regards

Bayerische

Thats the plan

Thanks again

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-July-2007 at 21:35
Mick give me a call tomorrow!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic