Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedForgotten M635csi’s

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Forgotten M635csi’s
    Posted: 17-July-2007 at 22:37

I was out walking the other day and did a double take when I spotted two BMW 635's parked very close together. I went up to them to see what they were and to my amazement they were both M635csi's. I have posted a link to photo's below.

The darker of the two cars is a 1989 Highline in Macau blue with a white lotus leather interior. It has 98000 miles on it, the interior is in pretty good condition, the bodywork is starting to show sighns of rust around the rear arches and rear panel but it doesn't look too serious. The Trx tyres are starting to perish. Someone has covered the car in car wax in an attempt to stop it rusting which is why it looks so dull. The NCT and tax disks were last valid in 2004 so I guess she has been lying there since then. This car could be restored in my opinion but I have not seen the engine. Could be a nice project for someone in the trade who could do alot of the work themselves.

The red car is Zinnobar red I think ,with a beige leather interior. It has 190000 miles on it. It is rusting very badly on the roof and arches and I would say that it is too far gone. My thoughts are that it was purchased as a donor car for the blue one and the owner has lost interest in the project.

Its a real shame to see both these cars rotting as they were BMW's flagships in their day. It would be great to see at least the blue one back on the road. I have no idea who owns them.

http://community.webshots.com/album/559917323qWNpKN?vhost=co mmunity

Regards,

Bayerische.

Edited by Bayerische
Sponsored Links

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-July-2007 at 23:09
That's a proper shame... Ireland has become so affluent in recent years it has forgotten about cars like that. I remember about 10 years ago or more Maxwell Motors had a red M635CSi with a Galway registration for sale, I think it might have been '86 or '87. I've always promised myself one since I first set eyes on the first one I saw.

Edited by 635CSi
llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llatsni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 08:27
are they round the ballsbridge area?

shame.
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
Mick525i View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 09:22

Go knocking on doors. You might get them cheap.

Often people dont know what they have. They might be afraid of what it might cost to get rid.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Bayerische View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 09:24

No, Dun Laoghaire.

Regards,

Bayerische.

Edited by Bayerische
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 09:31
Originally posted by Mick525i Mick525i wrote:

Go knocking on doors. You might get them cheap.

Often people dont know what they have. They might be afraid of what it might cost to get rid.

Mick

Yes I agree,but you would want to be getting them very cheap and perhaps the owner would be glad for someone to take them away for nothing which is unlikely. It is not something I would get involved in as my mechanical skills are non existant,but if anyone wants to go knocking on doors or leave a note on the cars, PM me and I will let you know where they are.

Regards,

Bayerische

Edited by Bayerische
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 14:58
The '89 looks in relatively sound condition exterior wise, but then again it is hard to tell from the photo. I doubt you would get them for a song, they are a very rare car and the '89 is a late model making it very desirable. I would love to see them go to a good home, where abouts in Dun Laoghaire are they?? I might check them out next time I'm around the area.
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 15:05

PM sent.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 15:07
Are you planning on heading over for a gander Mick?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 15:10

Yep.

Might be worth a look.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 15:37
you taking passengers?
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 15:47

Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

you taking passengers?

Passenger yes, passengers maybe not.

Ill let you know when I find out where the cars are.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bayerische Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 16:50

[QUOTE=635CSi]The '89 looks in relatively sound condition exterior wise, but then again it is hard to tell from the photo. I doubt you would get them for a song, they are a very rare car and the '89 is a late model making it very desirable. I would love to see them go to a good home, where abouts in Dun Laoghaire are they?? I might check them out next time I'm around the area.
[/QUOTE

635csi,

I will PM you.

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2007 at 16:57
spotted a red english reg 635 in celbridge last night.
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2007 at 18:39

Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

They are disappearing fast nowadays due to rust, I heard somewhere they suffer most of all from inner wing rust due to it not having any lining. This website currently has a really nice one for sale: http://www.the80semporium.co.uk

Dryle, where have you been by the way??

Edited by 635CSi
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2007 at 18:51

Mick, if your not interested or it doesnt work out id be interested in taking a look but i appreciate first come first served and you got there first, if you could let me know how you get on?

Many Thanks,

Ben

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2007 at 19:17

Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

Hmm, if it's on a "C"-prefix plate, might be the same one that an acquaintance of mine sold to Ireland last year......and that was a proper M635CSi

Originally posted by 635CSi 635CSi wrote:

They are disappearing fast nowadays due to rust, I heard somewhere they suffer most of all from inner wing rust due to it not having any lining.....

The Dun Laoghaire pair will at worst probably be good for parts only by this stage, sadly, but we need more detailed photos to look at. It may well be that both turn out to be saveable if you're prepared to put in the time and money - and you will need both

The macau blue Highline in particular - please check whether it has a manual gearbox. If not, then it will only be a "Motorsport" at best, and not a proper M635CSi. Without having access to the engine bay, that gearshift will be your only clue, as the Highline Sixes did not have any body trim to differentiate between ordinary, Motorsport, and M635CSi, unlike the earlier chrome-bumpered versions. The "M" badge may be a clue, but some owners had a penchant for plastering it all over their plain Highlines!

If you leave them sitting around in the open for any length of time - and those two look as though they've been out there for at least a year untouched - then you will be looking at a fair degree of metalwork needing letting-in and/or new panels.

Inner and outer wings were only ever lined with underseal. It's not just the wings, but. Roof will eventually rust in the vicinity of the sunroof panel (moisture trap). Rear wheelarches also deteriorate - again, no seals here (I've got to have my o/s/r one looked at)! 

Sills also go, usually around the jacking points. Door bottoms: check the channel there that holds the door seal. They can and will rust away to nothing - ask me how I know.

Floorpan rusts at the join to the sills, and water ingress can happen from the engine bay bulkhead into the footwells. Windscreen seals perish and water will drip in. There are other things you will need to look for.....

M635CSis have the single-row timing chain in their M88/3 24 valve engines. This chain needs to be obsessively serviced every 100,000-miles, otherwise you'll be driving something with an Achilles heel, and you will need to change the chain tensioner at that stage anyway. But it counts as a major job to pay for, unless you have the skills and facilities to do it yourself.

If you're not put off, and can do something with them, fair play to ye. For meself, I settled for taking the suspension off the M635CSi and installing it in my ordinary 635CSi. Things have been a lot firmer since, and going round corners is now good craic

irelandoffline View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandoffline Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2007 at 21:05
That blue one looks great, love the colour coded kidney grills, real mean looking. Would love to restore that, maybe change the exhaust though, not mean enough for a car like that.
E39 Black, DSG off.

elara.ie - boards.ie
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2007 at 22:32

Ok here is the update..

I looked at both cars and knocked on some doors. No one claimed to own them. One nice chap I spoke to said that they hav'nt moved in atleast 2 years. The disk in the window back that up.

As for the cars... the Red 85 D is a shed. Rust all over the roof in big blisters. Under the arches and just generaly a ruined car. If it was a runner which I doubt I would only take it as a "field" car.

The Blue car how ever looks good to me. However only viewing it from the out side its hard to tell. The owner has covered the whole car in a wax of some sort. (Some sort of protection messure) It has ok Gray leather elec seats and a manual gear box.

Id like to get the blue car but I think the owner may have a big value on it. If thats the case Im not interesed.

I left my contact details on the window so we will see if they want rid of it or not.

Thanks

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Curley View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Curley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-July-2007 at 22:56

Best of Luck Mick,

I'm also interested but I'd say there could be a big money/ it's priceless factor involved... It's amazing how many of these motors rot because the owner has an inflated value of what a condition 3 six series should be, so in the mean time I'm off to scrap out a '81 M535, ( saor in aisce !!) hopefully by that stage you'll have a positive result on the sixes.   

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
  Share Topic