Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedZ3M bitten the dust!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Z3M bitten the dust!!
    Posted: 23-June-2007 at 20:19

After only having the M roadster for a few weeks it has gone to the great car park in the sky!!

My wife used it to go to work on Wednesday (day after my 33rd birthday) and on a 'slow' roundabout lost control and skid out of control and went up a large kerb and took out a lamp post with the drivers side door!!

Due to the impact she had to climb out of the passenger door but luckily she only suffered cuts and bruises...still a bit stiff now mind.

Anyhoo the garage that are the authorised repair centre for my insurance company have told us they wont be able to fix it economically so looks like our Z3M ownership is short lived!

Now comes the tooing and froing with the insurance company over payout...Ive only ever had bad experiences in the passed so am very worried.

Z3M Roadster (gone....just...but not forgotten...yet)
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
BMW 330d (new work horse)
Daimler Double 6 (no idea yet)
Sponsored Links

lyndonbuck View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyndonbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2007 at 20:29
Bad luck, its always worth trying to buy it back as a write off and repair
yourself, must have been a big whack though, glad no one was hurt.
falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2007 at 20:36

I think the floor is shafted as she hit the lamp post at full force with the drivers door!

I didnt want to go and see the car as my stomach churns just thinking about it! Its not nice thinking about someone you love to bits having to go through that!!

Worse thing was I was day off and slept through her ringing me so she left a voice mail which makes me want to cry every time I hear it.....and Im not a big girls blouse!

Only thing the car will be good for is breaking but still worth a few quid in bits as it has had the brake upgrade (4 or 6 pots I cant remember but Ive got the receipt) and the engine only has 36k on it.

E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
M3cK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2007 at 20:45
Nooooooooo!

Really sorry to hear that, Chris!! Sounds like it could have turned out much worse than it actually was.

Both you and your wife take it easy, ok?
'89 E30 M3

Made in Munich
falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2007 at 20:52

Cheers mate!!

Maybe, if we do get another, we will get the S54 which has traction control to limit the risk!

E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2007 at 20:57
AS said already, glad your wife is OK sorry for the loss.

Don't take any crap offer from the insurers.

My wife wrote her car off a few months ago, surprisingly they paid out what she paid for it 18 months previously!

E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2007 at 21:16
Ouch!!!

Hope you get what you want insurance wise. must be really dissapointed but glad there wasn't any serious injury.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Simon325i sport View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon325i sport Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2007 at 21:22

Glad to hear your wife is ok mate, that is the most important thing, the car is just metal.

I work for a recovery company for the local police, and see this sort of thing everyday, lamposts do some nasty damage.

falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2007 at 21:42

Worse thing was it was getting recovered from the scene by the approved repairers but as we hadnt reported it to the police in time the recoverd it even though it was off the road!!

I/she felt a bit uneasy when we had a knock at the door and it was a policeman wanting to talk to me (registered keeper) about the incident!

He was a little arsey saying she shouldnt have been driving such a powerful car being so young and, in his words, inexperienced!!

His final words were 'I dont think we will take this further but you did leave the scene without reporting the accident'

Granted I got a little arsey back (knowing the rules). I said we had 24 hours to report the accident or as soon as practicable....which would have been as soon as I felt my wife was ok at home!

E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-June-2007 at 22:50

sorry to hear of this..

main thing is no-one was seriously hurt, metal can be replaced and the insurance company should cover the loss. Hope you both get over this quick.

rob

kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2007 at 09:24
Chris,

Sorry to hear this but glad that your wife is ok. It is times like this that help us put into perspective what is really important to us.

Hope the insurance co don't give you too much of a runaround.
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
95 E34 M5
89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2007 at 14:36

^^ +1.

Policeman can be such self righteous !! Take what further exactly?

Edited by Sporty1

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Kiko View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kiko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2007 at 17:38
sorry to hear that. I really am! My first Z3M bite the dust in a similar fashion when I had the unfortunate moment of putting a "friend" behind the wheel.

About the copper... one of the things that most impressed me during the 3 years I lived in England was the copper's blant arrongance, unparalled by anywhere else in the world I've been to. I'm pretty sure they're instructed for this.
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2007 at 17:49

That's awful. Glad your wife is okay and nobody else was involved. I'm a little worried now. My fiancee is driving my M3 at the moment because we sold our jeep and I still have to buy another car. She's going off for a week to Galway tomorrow for work experience (about 120 miles away) so I'll have to make sure she's extra careful. And we're having the worst weather in history. Non stop downpours causing mudslides, serious flooding and leaving standing water on roads everywhere.

Take no crap from the insurance company. Nobody else was involved and there are (hopefully) no medical bills to pay out. Keep at them to give you the FULL value of your car. They're getting away very cheaply. Then you can move on and forget about it. Let someone else buy the car for parts.

And I'd consider filing a complaint about the police officer. What a pr1ck.

1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-June-2007 at 17:55
I'm just pleased your wife is ok, stuff the car, its insured and hardly rare !
Best Wishes

Nigel

falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2007 at 16:13

Cheers all!!

Had some unexpected news today!! They are not writing off my Z and it will be returned to me in pristine condition in just under 3 weeks!!

I questioned the lady that told me this as two of her colleagues had informed both me and my wife that it wouldnt be repaired!!

Great news though.....I dont lose my number plate and I dont have to start haggling over payout or spend another 6 months looking for a car!

I suppose I will have to make sure I go over the car with a fine toothed comb to make sure the repair is 100%

Thanks again

Chris

E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2007 at 16:57
Hope it works out. But will it be recorded by the HPI etc. You'll lose money
when you go to sell it. Personally I'd always prefer to get the car written off
and buy a new one rether then have it fixed. Although I've never crashed a
car.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2007 at 17:52
I presume it will be recorded as cat d but to be honest Im not that bothered as we didnt buy the car to get rid in a year or two, it was the car Sarah wanted so we will still have the car that we bought.
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2007 at 20:24

Originally posted by falkster falkster wrote:

I presume it will be recorded as cat d but to be honest Im not that bothered as we didnt buy the car to get rid in a year or two, it was the car Sarah wanted so we will still have the car that we bought.

In my opinion a cat d makes a difference whenever it may be that you are selling, be it 5 years time, but I would not have thought that if insurer is repairing, without any pressure from you, that it would be a cat d, if it was I would not want it back. JMHO.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
neo1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2007 at 22:44

My opinion would be it won't be recorded anyway...

Cat D is classed a wrote off, this car is not its being repaired so it wont be recorded.

Cat D, Minor damage = un-economical repair = written off

CAT C, Major repairs required again un economical, = written off but requires VIC inspection to go back on road for safety

CAT B, Breaker only insurance will require evidence of vehicle being destroyed ie, shell returned etc.

Cat A, Not allowed anywhere but crusher...

A vehicle thats being repaired by insurence is non of the above as its there assessors that catorgorise them, a reapired vehicle will remain HPI clear..

Edited by neo1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic