Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedZ3M bitten the dust!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-June-2007 at 23:11

I agree 100% with neo1, Not written off therefore not recorded.

I would expect the repair to be to a very high standard and the car should drive like it did before the accident.

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
Sponsored Links

playo View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote playo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2007 at 03:57

Ouch!!

Hard luck mate, but the missus is fine so not all bad.

'98 M3 evo conv'-Sold
'91 E30 M3'
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2007 at 12:43
I agree with neo and lancastrian. Not recorded.

Call them to put your mind at rest. If they are repairing it it should be good as new when finished.
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2007 at 23:14

Phoned them today and it wont be recorded!

As for the condition of the car when it comes back, I wont accept it back unless it is perfect. It drove perfect before the bump so it needs to be perfect when I get it back!

Z3M Roadster (gone....just...but not forgotten...yet)
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
BMW 330d (new work horse)
Daimler Double 6 (no idea yet)
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-June-2007 at 23:28

Thats awfull bad luck. Glad your wife was'nt hurt.

Ill never give out to my wife for scratching my wheels again..

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2007 at 09:01
If it won't be recorded and is going to be repaired properly by BMW then I
suppose it's a good result. Enjoy it when it comes back. Weathers cat now
anyway.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
neo1 View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2007 at 18:59

Falkster if i could give you advice it would be this...

1,Collect car from them, dont get it delivered

2,inspect it in dry conditions

3,take someone with you as 4 eyes are better than 2

4,look at area's away from the repair, where other damage could occur, like transportation damage and scuffs etc.

5,dont accept it back till your 100% as even that little phrase of, "thats no problem sir bring it back in a week or two and we can sort it out for you"

Has little leverage once the insurance company has paid the body shop, and all interest will be lost on there part..... the insurance company wants you to be happy but once you have accepted the car, your on a hiding to nothing if its not correct and you fiond out later. try and get someone whom worked as a painter to go with you unless you are up on the stuff yourself....

Remember its easy to miss stuff when its your own car, as you just want it back etc etc....

hope it all goes ok in the end...

Rob

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-June-2007 at 22:47
Just picked up this thread & I was surprised & a little annoyed at some of the comments directed at the police officer in question.

To take them one at at a time,

Originally posted by falkster falkster wrote:

He was a little arsey saying she shouldnt have been driving such a powerful car being so young and, in his words, inexperienced!!

Well it may have sounded a little "arsey" but in view of the circumstances he did have a point. No insult intended towards your wife but the car didn't crash itself. In all single vehicle RTA's the accident is down to one of two reasons - inappropriate speed for the road conditions due to an inexperienced driver or stupidity. At least he gave your wife the benefit of the doubt. 320 horsepower in a twitchy rwd car is a very different thing to 150 horsepower in a fwd car. Luckily she's unhurt.

Next;

Originally posted by sporty1<span =bold><span style=font-size: 12pt; font-family: "Times New Roman";></span></span> sporty1 wrote:

Policeman can be such self righteous !! Take what further exactly?

If anyone is being self righteous it's you. You're forgetting the damage to the lamp post. The council will want compensation for that, either from the insurance company or the driver. You are also forgetting that this an almost daily occurrence for police officers. In this case he tried to put across the point (perhaps too subtly) that he could have been knocking at the door to inform Falkster that his wife had just been killed in a road accident. The intention is to avoid this happening again.

Then we have a particularly dumb comment;

Originally posted by kiko kiko wrote:

one of the things that most impressed me during the 3 years I lived in England was the copper's blant arrongance, unparalled by anywhere else in the world I've been to. I'm pretty sure they're instructed for this.

Well you can't have been many places because I can name half a dozen straight off - France, Germany etc.,etc. What you mistake for "blatant arrogance" is actually exasperation at having to repeatedly explain the obvious to people (like yourself) who always think they know better (but don't).

Lastly, taking first prize for the stupidest comment;

Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

And I'd consider filing a complaint about the police officer. What a pr1ck.

What complaint would that be? For pointing out the bleeding obvious? You haven't had an accident (yet) but try standing next to a fatal RTA with the body still in it & see how smug you feel! What a pr1ck indeed.

Rant against anti-police comments over, back to the question of the repaired Z3. I would refuse to sign acceptance until the car had been for an alignment check by an independent source ie. BMW main dealer.

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2007 at 10:25

Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

Just picked up this thread & I was surprised & a little annoyed at some of the comments directed at the police officer in question.

Guess this Police Officer, in quetion, is related to you in some way for you to be so offended......... your experience of the police is obviously different from mine.

In all single vehicle RTA's the accident is down to one of two reasons - inappropriate speed for the road conditions due to an inexperienced driver or stupidity.

Is this official is it? Single vehicle RTA's are always due to speed/road conditions or inexperience/stupidity?

Originally posted by sporty1<SPAN =bold><SPAN style=FONT-SIZE: 12pt; FONT-FAMILY: 'Times New Roman'></SPAN></SPAN> sporty1 wrote:

Policeman can be such self righteous <!--[if !vml]--> <!--[endif]-->!! Take what further exactly?

If anyone is being self righteous it's you.

Self righteous def 'certain that one is totally correct or morally superior' [REF: Oxford Dictionary]

Being stopped and told your cars not insured and implying it's going to be impounded unless I can prove [roadside]  otherwise, without gathering all fact and doing all checks first, as I recently experienced I'd say allows me to make the comment I made. The officer that pulled me over was convinced I was not insured because his information said so, eventhough he did not know who the car was registered to until I asked him. How wrong was he?

You're forgetting the damage to the lamp post.

You make me laugh, an inanimate lifeless object, which will be covered by insurance, after all that's one of the reason why we have to have insurance, to cover third party damages as a minimum.

You are also forgetting that this an almost daily occurrence for police officers.

No i'm not, but are all cases the same? Obviuosly in your book they are. 

In this case he tried to put across the point (perhaps too subtly) that he could have been knocking at the door to inform Falkster that his wife had just been killed in a road accident. The intention is to avoid this happening again.

Think any point that may have needed to be made had already been made.... and telling falkster that the accident had not been reported when he has 24 hr hours to due to was, im my opinion the officer trying to be clever and failing. [Note; moral high ground]

Right to reply over........

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
rr_ww View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rr_ww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2007 at 21:22
TBH The only other situation I can think of where a single RTA is not down to one of those would be mechanical failure. (Im not sure someone/thing running into road is considered a single vehicle accident though) Not a dig at the people in this case. Im not innocent of getting it wrong by any means.

Regarding the lamp post. I guess its up to the police as to whether they persue for the costs for the damage on that. If they dont thats a good thing as Lamp posts are (ISTR) several grand each!

And in the case of the MX5 above. Unless you have proof of who did it thats the sort of vandalism that is very difficult to solve. Hence the crime number only.

So far all bar one of my "chats" with the police have been sensible. So I cant comment on others peoples experiences.

Im also guessing that AndyS knows Police people.

Edited by rr_ww
Rich.
M3sportEvo View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3sportEvo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2007 at 21:46

I suspect that the above comments have done little to comfort Falk.    who no doubt will be just be glad to see his pride and joy looking as good as it did before.

comments on the inspection pre taking the car back are sense particularly if not bmw dealer bodyshop as most customers will not hold their car so dear.  best of luck and keep us posted.

obviously best regards to your other half.  

rr_ww View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rr_ww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-July-2007 at 22:45
TBH Just because its a BMW dealership that doesnt mean the job will be better than a good independent.

Might be worth trying to get some recommendations from other people regarding other bodyshops nearby that may do a better job before just accepting BMW.
Rich.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2007 at 10:44

Sorry to read this Falkster, but glad to hear your wife is okay.

It was nice example of the car too, having seen it at Cars in the Park.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-July-2007 at 18:54

Originally posted by rr_ww rr_ww wrote:

TBH Just because its a BMW dealership that doesnt mean the job will be better than a good independent.

Might be worth trying to get some recommendations from other people regarding other bodyshops nearby that may do a better job before just accepting BMW.

Got to agree with that

My Hartge 325 suffered a very heavy side impact (damage at the time was estimated at £5000 and it was a few years ago now.

Anyway it was repaired by a local , very reputable body shop (meant to be the best in my area)

On getting the car back it looked great but just didn't feel right so it went back to the bodyshop who assured me it was all ok ,but i still wasn't happy so the insurance company agreed to a second opinion .

I took it to the local dealer who had the car all day but also said they couldn't find anything wrong with it , but they did say they had little experience with lowered E30s ( yeah right , so 75% aren't lowered then ?)

After still not accepting it as being ok

(It was scrubbing rear tyres down to the cords on the inside edge in just 2000 miles and just felt wrong)

The insurance company agreed to a third opinion , but i had to pay and they would re-inburse me if there was a fault.

So i then took it to Birds , the UK Hartge people who told me what was wrong after a visual check in the carpark and then put it on the lift to show me and verify the fact.

Just goes to show you dealers and a top notch body shop ain't always the best

Long winded yarn i know but hopefully helpfull

cheers and good luck

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2007 at 16:07

Cheers All!!

Havent been on for a few days due to busy schedule.

As Ive said (and been advised before) I wont accept the car back unless it is right. The garage it is at is a very reputable place and Ive seen alot of their work. They are even sorting out a few chips around the car FOC.

I do have an odd worry. Due to the car going up a large kerb would they replace the alloys if they are kerbed?? I dont want kerbed or buckled wheels back do I??? Also the air bag didnt go off and now the light is on the dash, would that be fixed as the light wasnt on before the crash??

As for the policeman, I only commented about him being arsey because I was a little concerned at the time. It was a single car RTC so could have only been my wifes fault as there was nothing wrong with the car but she isnt a joyrider and doesnt drive fast....she was caught out hence why I thought a little more compassion would have been expected. I nor my wife had the usual 'chip on the shoulder' attitude that the police have to deal with daily but was faced with that sort of behaviour back! I wouldnt consider a complaint as the policeman was only doing his job and everything he said was correct....the lamp post didnt jump out in front of Sarah.

Anyway many thanks for all the advise on here and via PM, its all been very valuable......Sarah is now fine and I have forced her to take my car out a couple of times to get her behind the wheel and all is well

Thanks again

Chris

Edited by falkster
E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2007 at 16:13

I do have an odd worry. Due to the car going up a large kerb would they replace the alloys if they are kerbed?? I dont want kerbed or buckled wheels back do I??? Also the air bag didnt go off and now the light is on the dash, would that be fixed as the light wasnt on before the crash??

All 'damage' caused by or a result of the accident should be covered, as long as in the repair quotation.... and any consequential stuff to... eg. car going up kerb bent trailing arm etc.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
jpboost View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpboost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2007 at 16:14

I do have an odd worry. Due to the car going up a large kerb would they replace the alloys if they are kerbed?? I dont want kerbed or buckled wheels back do I??? Also the air bag didnt go off and now the light is on the dash, would that be fixed as the light wasnt on before the crash??

They should be repairing the car so it's as good as it was pre-accident.  I'd check with the bodyshop that they are putting new wheels on and I'd mention the airbag bit.  You shouldn't have any problems getting them to do it, but you might have to prompt them/highlight the extras.

falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-July-2007 at 17:09

Ill pop down on Friday and see them!!

Cheers

Chris

E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
trackM3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trackM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-July-2007 at 15:51

the police have to deal with daily but was faced with that sort of behaviour back! I wouldnt consider a complaint as the policeman was only doing his job and everything he said was correct....the lamp post didnt jump out in front of Sarah.

Anyway many thanks for all the advise on here and via PM, its all been very valuable......Sarah is now fine and I have forced her to take my car out a couple of times to get her behind the wheel and all is well

Thanks again

Chris

Police have a to deal with daily ? i always seem to find them in macdonalds and it seems getting the whole stations lunch, never there when i need them ? 

Oops i went and got an E36 !
falkster View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote falkster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-July-2007 at 03:50

Another spin to the story!!! They have written the car off!!!

The issue I now have is that I have found my counter part of my license and found that I have 3 points from an SP30 I recieved around 4 years ago that I didnt tell them about as I thought they were older than 5 years and the website asked if we had any convictions/claims within 5 years.

I have a gut feeling Im not going to be paid out!

I know I didnt tell them but its not like Ive not told them about a Drink Driving ban or Driving without insurancr etc!! Those 3 points wouldnt have made any different to my quote at my age and with my history but I know how insurers work........the wording of the letter they sent me sums it all up (going from working on my behalf to working against me) 'you may be interveiwed by one of our local investigators regarding your claim'!!!

Irony is I wasnt even the driver!!

Views???

E30 M3 (Toy)
Alfa 147 (just gone)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic