Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedtrailing arm bushes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: trailing arm bushes
    Posted: 22-June-2007 at 17:01

Just thinking out loud here but my bushes need replaced. I can imagine that this is a fairly major job and I don't think I would be able to do this myself as I do not have hydraulic press, ramps etc.

However, how much would I expect to pay for this i.e how many hours labour are we talking. Just so that I am not gonna end up being taken for a ride.

Also if this is a big job am I as well replacing them with up-rated polyurethane ones to save having to do them again in years to come?

Sponsored Links

rr_ww View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rr_ww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2007 at 18:22
Probably going to be around 3-4 hours labour. Maybe more if they are seized in there. I cant picture the bushes in my head. But ive been shown a way that might work for you.

Firstly hammer out the centre main rubber part (A)
Then you should be left with the outer shell (B) Then cut the shell at 90 degrees. (C) [Little tip is take the hacksaw blade out of the saw. Feed it though the shell then reattach it to the saw again] That should mean that when you get a chisel under the edges and hammer the sections should fall out quite easily. Then just clean up the contsct surfaces and you should be ok.

Technical drawing below!

What Ive heard is that Poly bushes are easy to fit as the centre sleeve comes out of the bush. So you just lube it up (ooh err!) and it pushes in without a press. Then you just slot the sleeve in afterwards.

HTH
Rich.
jpboost View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpboost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2007 at 09:17

Just saw this...

Rear trailing arm bushes do not have the steel collar around the edge as the diff bush etc have.  So the above is not the way to do it.

They are a bit of a pig to do, but essentially need to be heated (blowtorch) and then pressed out.  It is possible to do on the car (in fact I'll be doing it soon). 

If you have a look on s14power.com there is a thread by jake (it's in project cars, titled 'my 320is' or something like that).  In there there are some pics of the tools he uses to press them out. 

I fyou can't find the thread, give me a shout and I'll send you a link.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic