Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Scottish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedI have a sick puppy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I have a sick puppy
    Posted: 10-June-2007 at 18:43

Well.  Today I was I was in Douglas Park eyeing up a nice E46 325i convertible whilst my baby sat outside.  I think she must have heard me.

I was taking off from the house tonight and the car dipped in power between 1st and 2nd. The power came back (well ive not driven hard since.  Highest 3rd gear)

There is a loud whirring noise coming from the engine bay.  This happens when I rev the car.  It did happen a lot when I changed gears before, but now it happens all the time.

As you know it is a 320d.  It seems to drive fine after this, but the loud whirring is disturbing.  I have tried to fone Davie to ask but there was no answer :(  Any suggestions?

Edited by Allan320
Sponsored Links

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2007 at 18:46
Also.  There are no warning lights or EMS lights on
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2007 at 20:34
Trade it in for the vert
Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2007 at 20:45

:D  If the turbo has gone.  I am.

I have read that the turbo is more likely to go on models pre 2003, when the black dot turbo was introduced to combat the failure.  Unless you have a full BMW service history, if you are out of warranty... you are screwed. I got mine serviced at BM motors last month, thus breaking my service history.  The turbo has been found to give way without warning.

If it is the turbo where do I stand?  It is a problem BMW know about, shoudl they foot the bill for their shoddy turbo, if this has been the problem?

I have a video of the noise, just waiting on it uploading.

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2007 at 21:27
muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2007 at 21:39
As lomg as Dave used BMW parts and followed the service schedule warranty should still be valid
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2007 at 22:09

It is out of warranty at the moment.  What people were saying on line was that if you have a full BM service history they will sort it because it is a known problem. 

Davie will probably know what the script is, if it is a well know problem with the 150 bhp M75 engine.  Ill give him a call in the morning :)

jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2007 at 22:15
im as far away from an expert as you can get but my van sounded  like that for ages and when i eventually got round to  putting it in the garage it was a turbo hose or something.

hopefully nothing serious

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2007 at 22:21
That would sort of make sense James.  I spoke to ewan and he said it could be a pipe that is blowing.  Hopefully so   Thanks
jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-June-2007 at 22:25
good luck anyway

good to know im not the only person that hears noises

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2007 at 13:42

Blown turbo and a glogged something or other.

Luckily didnt draw oil up from the sump and fire out the exhaust, thus f***ing my cat.

A nice 1400 pounds bill on the way.

Just about to fone BMW customer services to kick up f***!

vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2007 at 14:14
Ouch!!! Nice bill....... At least you found the problem!!
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
The blue bullet View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II
Surfs Up!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The blue bullet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2007 at 14:26

Out of curiosity, what mileage is on your 320d? The turbo on my 2003 320d (Jan build) went at 69k miles.

Robbie.
Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-June-2007 at 19:13

The car is currently sitting at parks in Hamilton just now.

Argyll Diesels diagnosed excessive play in the turbo and a suspected crankcase breather blockage.

I foned customer services and told them the problem and that I wasnt happy with a 43,000 mile car having a blown turbo.  The car has never been abused!

Anyway, after me forking out £69.91 to the nice people at Argyle Diesels (really helpful people and know their stuff with diesels)  I called Parks.  I told them that the turbo is f***ed and argyle had diagnosed this.  He said, you need to bring it to us to diagnose this.  £80 please. 

So they are putting in a claim to BMW.  Im not paying the £80, I can tell you that right away!  For them to have a look and say, oh look lads, the turbos f***ed... Guess what... I already know that!

No mention either of a courtesy car so were struggling at the minute to get Elaine to and from hospital.  Think they will give me one if I call tomorrow?

as you can tell.  Raging with this!

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2007 at 10:05

I have just had a call from BMW

They are paying half of the parts and no labour.  £801

Is it just me or is this BMW admiting liability.  If you google 320d turbo failure, there are plenty of pages on this, so they know it is a problem.  Why are they not paying for it all?

Can anyone give me any advice please?

alun View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-June-2007 at 20:57
A friend of mine who has an X5 3.0d, his gearbox all of a sudden blew up and he was stranded at the side of the road. It was out of its warranty period also, they agreed to pay 'so much' of the bill and he wasn't having any of it, a few phone calls and all he paid was £300 out of a £3000 bill.

That was at Un-Fairbairns in Irvine.

Don't let it go! Especially on a car of such low mileage.
Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-June-2007 at 13:13

well. car is now fixed. Was fixed on monday.

still in Douglas Park tho.

still waiting on them to get back to me from Monday with my updated good will offer.  supposed to be 24hrs max.

Foned the BMW UK guy that I have been dealing with 3 times and 3 times he has blanked my call.  so im leaving it.  They are only making it worse for themselves.

They gave me the option of paying for the repair, then gettign a refund when the updated goodwill offer comes in.  But if this is me not having paid a penny yet, and the c**ts have blanked my calls, whats the chances of them calling me back if I had paid the money.

Strongly worded email was sent yesterday too, but havent had a reply to this yet either.  So the car still hasnt moved from Douglas park since it was fixed.

We have been ferrying Elaine up to yorkhill for chemotherapy in the works van cos they didnt have any courtesy cars to give us.  well Pissed off.

Allan320 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Obsessive Detailer!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allan320 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-June-2007 at 13:06

Well car is back... and my wallet is extremely heavier than it should have been.

Moaning like a bitch does help :D

jamsieboi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamsieboi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-June-2007 at 18:02
Good  stuff

Glad you got it sorted, terrible it took you all that hassle tho just shows what companies will do hoping that you will just go away.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic