Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > BMW Related News
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - BMW planning takeover bid for Volvo!! & greenie issues
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBMW planning takeover bid for Volvo!! & greenie issues

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Fushion Julz View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 14:42
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Don't forget the 1602 & 2002 weren't BMW's they were made by glass if I remember correctly.

I don't believe that is trictly true...

Firstly the company was Glas (not Glass)

The 02 were, indeed, built at the old Glas plant in Dingolfing...But they were a BMW design, based on the Nueue Classe 4-dr saloon floorpan suitably shortened.

But Dingolfing is currently the largest BMW production facility...Perhaps the Rolls Royce is really a Glas, too?
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 13:48
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

...that said of the rape seed stuff that if you needed one extra pass with a tractor for weed control or whatever, then the farmer would have used more diesel growing the crop than the crop would make.

Which I don't belive for one minute.

I'm interested as to why you don't think thats the case Peter, as even though we don't often see eye to eye, you talk sense sometimes lol.

It was a serious program with no agenda one way or the other, it was on something like "your planet" or whatever, where some greenie types try to answer listeners questions regarding these issues, and the question was something like "why isn't there a bigger take up on bio diesel by governments ? "

Its the same sort of thing as these energy efficient light bulbs, what is the actual carbon footprint ?

Nobody seems to want to tell us, sure they use less energy, but how much more do they use to make, and more importantly, dispose of ?

Best Wishes

Nigel

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 12:35
Originally posted by larzyh larzyh wrote:

I think threads should be allowed to develop "organically" (notice the green connection), in whatever direction the contibutors deem appropriate...

Larzyh.

I get enough organic at home thanks very much

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 12:30

Ah yes, the irreverant Mr Pink

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 12:29

I think threads should be allowed to develop "organically" (notice the green connection), in whatever direction the contibutors deem appropriate...

Larzyh.

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 11:04
ah because i knew noone would start a new thread on the whole green house gases issue. However i am willing to start a dedicated "green" thread if any one else is interested. No doubt certain "mods" will post up green pics for a laugh, not naming any1 but seems to like pink cars afaik
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 10:48

LOL, your first post says the thread is going off course and the environmental issues should be moved to a new thread. Your next one then adds to the environmental debate.

Now how's that for inconsistency

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 10:37
Dave Ryle

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 10:27
how has a thread regarding BMW maybe buying ovlov out become an argument regarding the environment, i recommend that there should be a separate thread for this discussion and get back to BMW buying the old mans car disc
Dave Ryle

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 09:49

...that said of the rape seed stuff that if you needed one extra pass with a tractor for weed control or whatever, then the farmer would have used more diesel growing the crop than the crop would make.

Which I don't belive for one minute.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 09:45

Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

That bio fuel is a scam.  Anyone can make an engine run on
alcohol.

Why exactly is it a scam?

The fact that anyone can do it is a good thing surely.

larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 08:53
We're having it again...
larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 08:52

I wouldn't be totally averse to a degree of state (EU) subsidisation to farmers growing fuel; we've been subsidising farmers in other areas producing less needed products like butter!

And I do think the BMW 2002 is a classic (BMW).

Larzyh.

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 08:50

we had a discussion on biofuels

http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=36748&am p;KW=bio

also biofuels fuel economy is less than petrol

Dave Ryle

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 08:42
Originally posted by larzyh larzyh wrote:

Are we back to the whole "this car isn't a BMW because it is not made in Bayern in a factory with a BMW logo on it" debate?

I consider the X3 a BMW (even the motorcycles produced by Cagiva, I consider BMW's) and the 2002 is, for me, in many ways the quintessential BMW.

Larzyh.

I wasn't suggesting that, I was just pointing out that a car most people seem to think is a BMW classic was actually from a company they took over.

On the subject of bio fuels, there was a prog on BBC radio four some time ago that said of the rape seed stuff that if you needed one extra pass with a tractor for weed control or whatever, then the farmer would have used more diesel growing the crop than the crop would make.

Best Wishes

Nigel

larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 07:56

Are we back to the whole "this car isn't a BMW because it is not made in Bayern in a factory with a BMW logo on it" debate?

I consider the X3 a BMW (even the motorcycles produced by Cagiva, I consider BMW's) and the 2002 is, for me, in many ways the quintessential BMW.

Larzyh.

larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-May-2007 at 07:50

As I see it, bio-fuel's main advantages are sustainability and the lessening dependancy on fossil fuel.

With regards to "poor africans", there never has been a shortage of food in the world and there probably never will be; the problem is inequitable distribution of resources and that is unlikely to change.

I am considering converting my car to run on bio fuel - get some farmers back to the land and stop lining the pockets of some very dubious regimes in the Middle East.

Larzyh.

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 22:29
Don't forget the 1602 & 2002 weren't BMW's they were made by glass if I remember correctly.
Best Wishes

Nigel

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 21:41

Originally posted by 635CSi 635CSi wrote:

Originally posted by Nostrils Nostrils wrote:

IIRC Ford own much if not all of volvo and its probably their way of finding more money to get them out of the hole they are in at the moment. The Ford Focus ST has the 5 cylinder Volvo engine which is why it sounds familiar to the older V70!
Volvo have come a long way in modern times and are certainly catching up with the competition. BMW could be using Volvo to concentrate on newer combustion engines with so-called Bio fuels, the swedes are good at all this environmental stuff!!

It's amazing how the S40 T5 has the same chassis and the exact same engine as the Focus ST, but drives nothing like it!!

Biofuels aren't really revolutionary but they definitely make more sense than hybrids. I'm not into them really though, you would need to be wearing slippers and grow your own clothes to drive one!

the biofuels produce more bhp than petrol. saab are producing a 300bhp 2 litre 100% biofuel engine. the production of hydrids and the disposal produces a hell of a lot more co2 than ordinary petrol engines.

Dave Ryle

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-May-2007 at 21:39

Originally posted by Nostrils Nostrils wrote:

IIRC Ford own much if not all of volvo and its probably their way of finding more money to get them out of the hole they are in at the moment. The Ford Focus ST has the 5 cylinder Volvo engine which is why it sounds familiar to the older V70!
Volvo have come a long way in modern times and are certainly catching up with the competition. BMW could be using Volvo to concentrate on newer combustion engines with so-called Bio fuels, the swedes are good at all this environmental stuff!!

ford own 50%.

with regard to the biofuels there is major concern that although they are "greener" to burn in the car the production produces more co2 and there is also a concern that the likes of corn crops are not meeting requirements which is pushing up prices, who will be able to afford them the motorist or the poor african. the production of palm oil produces 33million tonnes of co2 per acre of virgin land burned.

Edited by thepits
Dave Ryle

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic