Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWandering rear end

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Ed J View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wandering rear end
    Posted: 31-January-2008 at 00:37
Different car same problem. On my E36 328 (now a bit leggy at 137k miles) I had the sway bar bushes replaced and it got much more planted.

Also have had different results with adjusting tyre pressures on various flavours of tyres. Oddly sometimes slightly over inflating works better (Avon) and under (Pirelli) but obviously recommended tyre pressures would be the safest option. With Continental didn't matter what I did, always stable but they did wear quickly !

Good luck

Ed
Sponsored Links

Stone-IslandV8 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2008 at 23:07
Just had the car back in for another seized handbrake problem which wouldnt make the car run as it should but all the bushes,bearings,joints etc all passed their examination.

Going to do the alignment. Also, getting ready to be flamed, my 328 has got 75k on the clock and is running orig sampers and springs so might look at getting those changed....dampers certainly.
Gentlemen I may not have a brain but I do have an idea

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
quarryman View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quarryman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-January-2008 at 15:24
I have this in mine (323i e36), albeit not as extreme as you seem to be experiencing.

I also had it in my 318is.

I had alignment done that made no difference, ball joints and steering rack.

No joy. This was on my 318is though, haven't tried anything on the 323 as it hasn't been as bad.

let us know if you find a possible solution.

Edited by quarryman
E36 323i Coupe
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2008 at 20:48
But to the uninitiated it might be worth a try!!!!

Past; E39 540T/E46 328CI/ E39 535/ E39 520/ E36 M3/ E36 318iS jet black Mtech/ E46 320d/ E36 318iS diamond black/ E36 318iS blue Mtech kit
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2008 at 09:43
 I see where your coming from on that one but some how i do not think it will sort your problems with the the rear end, unless they are being caused by the tyres/wheels which I doubt.......... may even make the wandering worse.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2008 at 22:03
Havent got round yet......not good I know.....I reckon an upgrade to 18s or 19s would be a worthwhile argument to put to SWMBO as a good diagnostic check and so much more interesting than alignment!!!!!

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2008 at 09:40

Buckled wheels should show up on wheel balancing.

Did you get the 4 wheel alignment done? If so did it reveal anything?

Edited by Sporty1

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2008 at 19:30
No glad it got bumped cos its a pain in the rear still.

The car feels nervous,jerky and bit bumpy. Not sure if its related but I'm having to add more air in the tyres almost on a weekly basis which seems to improve things a bit.

When going over white lines in the wet or going along the lovely N Somerset B roads its not unusual to be wrestling with the steering wheel.

Edited by Stone-IslandV8

Barry_Mc View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry_Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-January-2008 at 23:36

just to throw my bit in, i have no personal experience of this but could it be possible considering the fact you've already ticked alot of boxed that the alloys one or more might be buckled and regardless of tyres it will cause the same problem?

i would think as dougster suggested if you could borrow a set of wheels and see if it makes a difference.

P.S - Only realised it was originally posted May '07...was searching and came across the topic, did you get it sorted?

Edited by Barry_Mc
ally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2007 at 14:33

I had a broken rear spring also, & could hear it straight away, mind you, I changed the top mounts first as I thought it was them

I have to agree with Peter, it's amazing how much even the rear alignment & camber can affect handling & steering

E39 530i Sport Aegean Blue Edition
Saab 9-5T SE Estate
E36 318i loon...sold
E36 323i coupe...sold

Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-May-2007 at 09:06
I had a broken rear spring on my E36 and it only showed up when pusing through a bend with 'spirit' as coasting put it. It manifested itself as a juddering vibration.
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-May-2007 at 18:07

Hmm, could  be all manner of things, and all as suggested above too.

It did make me wonder about a broken spring too though. Very easily done on an E46 and can often go un-noticed until pushed round a bend with a degree of 'spirit'.

Edited by Coasting

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-May-2007 at 20:03
BMW's own KDS 4 wheel alignment system is supposed to be very
sophisticated, that's one reason why it costs more. I believe that they also
have to load the car with weights in a very specific manner to do it properly.
Takes a bit of time.

Richard.

Current; 2000 316i Compact 1.9
previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stone-IslandV8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 19:45
Originally posted by DSK328i DSK328i wrote:

The alignment is a major factor but its uselless getting the kwik-fit type tracking done, you got to get the proper 4 wheel computerised/infra red setup done, where they actually adjust the rear end as well as the cambers etc.  This costs about £50.

Been recommended to get it done at a dealer so I'm guessing theres an extra number to go infront of that £50.

Re the tyres, I reckoned it was down to knackered tyres so replaced all 4 with Goodyears 2 weeks ago.Same probs.
John

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 13:18

The alignment is a major factor but its uselless getting the kwik-fit type tracking done, you got to get the proper 4 wheel computerised/infra red setup done, where they actually adjust the rear end as well as the cambers etc.  This costs about £50.

I agree. Just getting a simple tracking done will not sort it.

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 11:37
Let The Good Times Roll

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-May-2007 at 08:22
Sounds to me like the alignment is the problem.
dougster View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 22:16

Originally posted by dougster dougster wrote:

Sometimes tyres can cause unusual senations as they wear as the sidewalls can flex.

If you can borrow a pair of wheels and tyres from someone it might be worth a try.

Or simply try rotating the tyres, front > rear, rear > front and see if that makes any difference. 

Even easier!

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 22:00
Originally posted by dougster dougster wrote:

Sometimes tyres can cause unusual senations as they wear as the sidewalls can flex.

If you can borrow a pair of wheels and tyres from someone it might be worth a try.

Or simply try rotating the tyres, front > rear, rear > front and see if that makes any difference. 

Let The Good Times Roll
dougster View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2007 at 21:47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic