Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE36 316I Compact Engine Power

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporate dgnr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E36 316I Compact Engine Power
    Posted: 26-April-2007 at 22:37
What would be the best way to increase engine power apart from changing car or engine as have heard the 1.9l 316i is the same engine as the 318i which sports quiet a health 140bhp instead of the 117bhp or lower the 1.9l compact (late 2000 model has), any idea's i know probably a ECU remaap and exhaust changes would help performance just wondering if anyone knows Thanx

Edited by corporate dgnr8
Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 22:50
The 318ti has a 16 valve engine, the 316 compact has an 8 valve engine. Least you don't have the diesel one which is about 90 bhp.

For more on the compact, click my sig pic..

\/  \/  \/              
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 22:53

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Least you don't have the diesel one which is about 90 bhp.

and so much more enviromently friendly  (not!)

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
corporate dgnr8 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporate dgnr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 23:02
which section holds info no compacts just browsing through now and thanks
studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2007 at 07:51
If you click on Rhys' signature for the american 318ti site, then enter
DASC    into the search field, you'll find a ton of info on a small
supercharger specifically for the M42/43/44 engine.   I also have a year
2000 compact with the M43. The simplest and cheapest (assuming the
engine has been serviced, clean filters, plugs etc) is a re-map of the ECU
with someone like chippeduk.   That american site also has information on
"fogging" your air filter box to allow more air through. This modification
may only be of reasonable benefit to the 16v engine, though.

Hope this helps.

Edited by studyolic
Richard.

Current; 2000 316i Compact 1.9
previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2007 at 12:29
I'd forget the supercharger idea as it'll cost more than buying a 323/328 & the insurance co. will not like it because it puts you outside the standard demographics (unlike a 323/328).

There's some confusion on the engines here. Both the 316 & 318 were 8 valve 1895cc, the 316 with 105bhp & the 318 with 118bhp. The later engines were the valvetronic models. The 316 remained at 1895cc, 8 valve & 105bhp. The 318 became 1995cc with 16 valves & 143bhp.

So, if you have the earlier engine it may be possible to chip it & gain 13bhp (wow!) assuming there were no other mechanical changes eg. cam, inlet manifold, valve sizes etc. If it's the later engine it's a no go.

This kind of question gets asked all the time. The answer is always the same. If you wanted more power why did you buy the model with less power? If it was to save money on insurance or running costs then the numbers just don't add up. If you gained the extra power of the next model up your insurance company would want to charge you accordingly, unless you weren't going to tell them in which case your insurance would be null & void in the case of a claim. Trust me, they love any excuse for not paying out. No insurance means you are libel for damages (I'd be looking for 50k+ for my whiplash thanks). Any extra power would involve higher fuel consumption just like the more powerful version so you wouldn't be saving there either.

So enjoy your 316 as it is or sell it & buy a more powerful version which will probably have more kit on it anyway. If you feel the 316 badge is hurting your street cred then just take it off.
AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2007 at 19:39
Don't forget that moderate increases in power and torque in an otherwise
unmodified car can improve fuel consumption, because the weight of the
car is about the same,   therefore power-to-weight ratio is improved. This
explains why moderate power increases via chip / remap / induction /
exhaust mods can make a car feel much livelier than the outright bhp
figure would suggest; it's lighter than going up to a six-cylinder model.

It's just another way of looking at things.

Richard.

previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2007 at 21:15
The earlier 318ti had a 16 valve 1796cc engine not an 8 valve. There wasn't an E36 318i compact. The 1796cc 16 valve M42 was replaced with the M44 1.9 unit - same bhp, slightly more torque.

There was a 8 valve 316i compact, a diesel 318td compact (about 90 bhp) and a 16 valve 318ti compact. There was also a 24 valve 323ti compact which didn't make it over here (unfortunately)

J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2007 at 08:17
Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

The earlier 318ti had a 16 valve 1796cc engine not an 8 valve. There wasn't an E36 318i compact.

Good point Rhys. I was talking about the engines in general rather than those specifically for the Compact. Also those later (2000+) engines I referred to would have been in the E46. Is a 2000 model Compact still an E36?

Moderate power increases can provide slightly better fuel consumption but only if it isn't used (if you see what I mean). More power is produced by burning more fuel. If you can improve efficiency (say, less drag) then you wouldn't need to burn as much fuel to maintain a given speed.

Depends what you regard as moderate. You'll only get 5-10bhp or so from a filter change & chip. Hardly worth bothering with as production variances can account for much of that. The best way forward is still to sell the 316 & buy a 318.

Edited by AndyS
AndyS

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2007 at 11:13
I thought the E36 ti ended in 99, but a quick search found a 2001 model, maybe they still made them for a short while while the E46 came out (use up parts etc?)

I think the only thing you could do with a 316i is to change exhaust, alter intake (either a shielded induction kit it or a fogged air box) then a remap/chip - then I doubt there would be a great increase, it most probably would sound better with a small amount of gain. But as said, is it worth it? Induction kits aren't that expensive, but need maintenance (cleaning and re-oiling if a foam one) they sound good but can reduce performance.

You could always try a decat pipe, but this is a mot failure so be warned if you get caught without one.

J Reg Saab 900i 16v
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2007 at 12:24
The E36 compact lasted all the way until the E46 compact came out in 2001.

The valvetronic engines missed the E36 entirely because they didnt emerge until right at the end of 2001, just before the E46 saloon was facelifted.

(as an aside this means that the E46 318 prior to year model 2002 has a bit of an old hat engine for it's time and while it's a nice, smooth four cylinder engine it doesnt really suit the sporty coupe body in the 318Ci!!)

The larger capacity 1.9 M43 engine is just an evolution of the original chain cam engine from 1995 and is quite unlike the later N-series engine with a cambelt (I think) and valvetronic actuation.

There is one engine that doesnt make much sense to me in recent BMW manufacture and that is the one from the 116i. I believe this engine is not valvetronic and is therefore a bit of a lemon for its time. Imagine parting with ~14k to trade up from an E36 316i to a brand new 116i - you'd feel cheated IMO.

I looked into uprating my old 316i and found that you can do things wit forced induction but I would steer clear for the above mentioned reasons unless you're making a vehicle for track usage only.
Beating around the bush.
studyolic View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote studyolic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2007 at 17:55
Fozzy,

quite correct, the Compact version of the E36 continued well after the
introduction of the E46 saloon; The year 2000 version of the E36 316i
Compact had the M43 TU engine at 1.9L capacity with twin balancer
shafts, as was used in the first versions of the E46 Compact. They
restricted the power in the E36 316 Compact to 105bhp   as against the
118bhp they allowed it in the E46 Compact.    I have found the 2000
Compact to feel quite agile and reasonably nippy around town compared
to the previous 1.6L compact, although in absolute terms it isn't at all
quick (my previous car was a 535). However, it goes reasonably well
and feels quite light with fairly direct steering. I can understand someone
wanting another 10bhp just to see what it could do. For me, the really
interesting figure is torque, and although the M43TU was produced with
at least two output specifications, it was more the bhp that was fiddled
with, so that E46 Compact buyers would see a higher bhp figure than for
the E36 Compact. The torque figures were much closer.   All this being
true, one has to wonder how to get the 118bhp that the SAME engine
produced in the E46. I don't know the answer, but it's probably just the
mapping. If so, then it would be fairly easy, quick, and only extracting
from the engine what BMW did in a different car.

Richard.

previous; 1999 535i V8,    
1995 316i Compact 1.6
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporate dgnr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2007 at 22:57
Glad this topic got a good reply was just interested in options and thanks to all for replys and in responce to some post i purchased the 316 as im only 21 and insurance is a killer i used to work in insurance and know the rules etc but rules are there to be broken thanks alot for all replys
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2007 at 19:22
Well get yourself down to the Lakeside Wednesday night for the local meet.

See you there.

AndyS

Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corporate dgnr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2007 at 18:25
thanks for offer got some stuff to do tonight but try and get down for a future meet
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic