Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhich tyres do you use?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which tyres do you use?
    Posted: 22-April-2007 at 11:16

A few weeks ago I had my (second-hand, genuine) MV-72 wheels put on my car. I considered a number of different tyres including Pirelli P-Zero and Bridgestone Potenza but after several delivery related issues ended up with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2. I had Michelin Pilot Primacy on the car before that (size 205/55/16 all round). I must say the PS2's are fantastic; obviously the wider tyres and bigger wheels (225/40/18 and 255/35/18) may have somthing to do with it but still; I would greatly recommend this tyre to anybody looking for a high performance tyre.

I note in the latest BMWcar magazine that both the new M3 and the Alpina B3 featured are shod with these tyre (as well as the M-B McLaren SLR).

Least impressive tyre I have put on a car was a few years ago; the Falken Ziex (502, I think), nice thread-pattern but very little grip!

What tyre do you have on your car and what is your experience?

Larzyh.

Sponsored Links

garyg View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote garyg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2007 at 13:12
I'm using Vredestein Sportrac 3s (205/60/15).

See the following thread:
http://www.bavarian-board.co.uk/forum_posts.asp?TID=36630

I'm happy with them anyway. Very good grip!
"History"
- 97' 318is (Boston Green)
- 90' Civic DX (White)

beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2007 at 13:34

I used Dunlops Michelin Primacy and PS2's Bridgestone Potenzas and Falken 502 and now 452's on a variety of cars.

Bridgestone Potenzas and Falken 502's are total b.lix, followed closely by Michelin Primacy, Dunlops Sp 9000 and 2000 are ok but get quiet noisy and grip goes when tread goes under 3mm. Michelin PS 2's are quiet good but extremly overpriced the new Falken FK 452's exeeded every expectation as I don't use traction control I would feel/see any short coming perfect in wet and dry. Half the price of the PS'2s as well

Oh and I never give a monkey about the tread pattern "look" as long as they do what they should.

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Brianp View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brianp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2007 at 13:54
I had Potenzas on a previous car, and didn't think they had the promised grip. Fine tyres, but not what you'd be led to believe.

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-April-2007 at 15:11
I have Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3's on my M3. Great tyre for the road and a
good looking pattern. But I will say that the level of grip on the very very wet
Mondello track last October was just incredible. I couldn't believe how far I
could push the car in the wet. I was expecting far more understeer but very
little came.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
highbeem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highbeem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2007 at 20:11

Good year F1 as alex above

Read this article called "The quick and the tread" in American magazine Car and driver they used 325's for test.

This made up my mine for me.

hope this link works

www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=4&article_id=10252 - 73k -

and it does'nt= bummer

maybe a gifted soul could help. 

Edited by highbeem
Highbeem
E46 323Ci
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2007 at 21:07
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
highbeem View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote highbeem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2007 at 21:23

thanks for sorting that link out Killian

Highbeem
E46 323Ci
Barry_Mc View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barry_Mc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-April-2007 at 23:34

Toyo Proxes T1-R with rim protection....can't fault them, great grip rain or shine and nice pattern.

Toyo/PROXEST1-R.jpg

larzyh View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote larzyh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2007 at 07:51

I think the Michelin PS2's are priced as one would expect from a top brand premium product. I notice that the Koenigsegg wears PS2's as well; I think they must be doing something right.

I do believe the Goodyear F1 is a very good tyre.

A note on Bridgestone; there are Potenza's and there are Potenza's. I wanted to buy the RE050 but no; the Irish distributor could only supply RE040, which I believe to be a much less good tyre, so no sale there!

I agree with beemerchris in so far as tyre thread pattern is a very poor indicator of performance and as such is irrelevant. I mentioned the look of the Falken's in my original post precisely to illustrate that point.

Larzyh.

Fey! View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2007 at 11:49

I use Falkens, and have done on several cars now.  I find them excellent.

As BeemerChris mentioned, the tyre model differs a lot, too.

T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-April-2007 at 12:08

Most of what you buy, unless they're obviously made of plastic and manufactured in Uzbekistan, have adequate levels of grip, rolling resistance values, wear characteristics etc etc.. Personally, I think it's not all about grip unless it's straight line braking.

I'm more interested in how they go about the slip part as it's this that defines how your car feels in extremis. I've found Pirellis a joy. They don't have the limpet-like grip of F1s, but they consistently go from grip to slip better than any tyre I've had.

Falkens, Bridgestone, Yokahoma.. they all do the job with varying degrees of excellence in one area or another.

Nankang mud and snow tyres are also very progressive in the wet on track, though they do overheat a bit in the dry!

Edited by T.J.
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
b318isp View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b318isp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-April-2007 at 10:10
Originally posted by Brianp Brianp wrote:

I had Potenzas on a previous car, and didn't think they had the promised grip. Fine tyres, but not what you'd be led to believe.

What type of Potenza as there a quite a few? The RE720 are average, but the S02's and S03's were very, very good. The latter are the best tyre I have ever owned.

I'm using the Toyo Proxes now as I can't get the S03's in my size anymore. The give good feedback and gradual breakaway but are not anywhere near as grippy when cornering as the S03's.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic