Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General BMW & Bavarian-Board Chat
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked1 series coupe ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 10:21

Father Inlaw has a rover 600 and he said it is the best car he has had, he had a fuego as well. He felt that you had to really push the accelerator to get it down he may have been pushing at the base of the pedal rather than the top.

it really is peoples personal opinions and people shouldnt knock them for it as we have people here who feel other fwd cars are better than bmw (volvo's)

i have also heard that rwd is easier to work on than fwd as well from non mechanics, dont know how true that is.

Edited by dryle
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Sponsored Links

Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 20:20

The Rover 75 wasn't a modified 5 series floor pan, or so I read,but it could have been, it also wan't intended to be rear wheel drive, which seem to be another myth.

This is a great site : http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/

It seems to put those myths to bed

Best Wishes

Nigel

thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-April-2007 at 21:53

Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

Bikewise I'd like another guzzi to remind me of my youth,

Your youth? Then surely you mean one of these?

"a vintage bike"

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2007 at 01:29
Originally posted by Peter Fenwick Peter Fenwick wrote:

AndyS. The MG ZT isn't a bad car, it might not be in the same league as a 5 series but that doesn't make it bad. Be careful, your BMW blinkers might just be as bad as their MG Rover ones :D

Don't get me wrong, I have a soft spot for the older cars, Triumphs in particular. You're partly right in that the basic 75 was a good car. However, the MG versions were a cynical attempt to cash in on a name that had already been devalued by previous attempts. They were also at odds with the original design aims of the 75.

My main derision is aimed, not at the 75 but the 400 series and it's MG derivatives. The 400 was based on a rather poor version of the Honda Civic line & sticking a crass body kit on it only made it worse.

As for the K-series engine, this never lived up to the hype. True, I was coming down a bit from the little beaut that powered my CRX but I expected more from the design. It was no better than anything from Ford or Vauxhall and not a patch on Hondas designs.

Having owned a Rover I feel qualified to comment on them. How many of the Rover owners have owned a BMW?

AndyS
Live each day as if it's your last - one day it will be.

dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2007 at 08:54

@andys

i had a rover 200se, great little car but of course it is no comparison for the 5er as they are completely different cars and marketed as such. the zr, zs, zt are really just looking as though they have sporty bits stuck on. you can get away with come cars looking sportier by hanging bits onto them but a rover 75 aint one of them, zs maybe, zr yes.

There are people with blinkers on all forums including here and "some" of them bang on about other cars being better than the cars the forum represent and can get quite stroppy about it.

Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2007 at 12:52
Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

There are people with blinkers on all forums including here

You're right of course & I've been guilty of it myself though I do try & base my comments & opinions on facts (well, most of the time ).

For years I ignored the good points of the 3-series (E30) & Golf Mk 2 because of their yuppy image. It was because of that obstinate streak I ended up with a new Rover rather than a second hand Golf. Trust me, I paid the price.

I only ended up with an E30 when I was offered a low mileage Touring at a very good price allowing me to retire the Six to gentler duties. After 2 1/2 years & 19k miles all I've replaced is one ball joint & 2 or 3 bulbs. I've come to respect the E30 for it's simple, robust nature & enjoy it for it's eager nature on back roads. Sure, a 2.5 six cylinder would be better but this is my daily commuter car after all.

I wish I could have praised the Rover in the same way but sadly I can't. Maybe it was just too much of a come down from my '88 CRX.

AndyS

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2007 at 13:36
Originally posted by AndyS AndyS wrote:

They either don't know or choose to forget but the Rover 75 was based on a modified E34 floor pan with a modified Z-axle without drive shafts. Turning the 75 back into rwd wasn't that hard.

Are you sure?? I honestly never heard that, it's very surprising I would have never thought that it was. Considering it was based on the E34 you would've thought it would have been better to drive.
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2007 at 23:01

It isn't based on the E34, although according to the unofficial site info, the E34 stuff was offered.

Why do you think its not nice to drive ?, mine seems ok

Best Wishes

Nigel

AndyS View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The Last of the Few

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndyS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-April-2007 at 08:36
According to Autocar's big spread on the development of the car it was based on the E34 in order to speed up development & cut costs. It's standard practice in the motoring world, eg. Chrysler Crossfire based on the old SLK, 300C based on the old E-Class platform etc.

Of course, Autocar could have been wrong but you would have thought Rover would have put them straight, especially as they provided all the info for the article. The guy on the website could be wrong too. If you read what he says, he avoids being absolutely definite about it.

There was never any doubt about the 75 being a good drive, it just wasn't a sporty drive (as intended).

AndyS

635CSi View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 635CSi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-April-2007 at 19:56
Originally posted by Nigel Nigel wrote:

It isn't based on the E34, although according to the unofficial site info, the E34 stuff was offered.

Why do you think its not nice to drive ?, mine seems ok

I mean it's not a sporty drive as AndyS said, it was engineered to be more of a cruiser. Although the MG ZT 260 is supposed to be bags of fun! I always quite liked the 75 though.

Edited by 635CSi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic