Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedhelp, whats this spring for.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: help, whats this spring for.
    Posted: 19-April-2007 at 17:50
I noticed after Tuesdays fun and games at prodrive, that when I put my foot on the clutch I heard a metallic tap noise so I had a search on ETK for a schematic of the pedal box.

This afternoon I unscrewed the clutch pedal stop to fit a longer stop to reduce the clutch travel and a large spring dropped down from above the clutch pedal.

On the ETK diagram 35-0180 pedals/stop light switch, you can see 2 springs, one is listed number 22 a compression spring. The spring that fell out looks like one of those.

Question is what is it/ are they for? Clutch still works OK, and brakes work OK too. What do they compress? And how would I get it back in?

All help appreciated.
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
Sponsored Links

andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2007 at 18:15

Originally posted by M3Nally M3Nally wrote:

I noticed after Tuesdays fun and games at prodrive, that when I put my foot on the clutch I heard a metallic tap noise so I had a search on ETK for a schematic of the pedal box.

This afternoon I unscrewed the clutch pedal stop to fit a longer stop to reduce the clutch travel and a large spring dropped down from above the clutch pedal.

On the ETK diagram 35-0180 pedals/stop light switch, you can see 2 springs, one is listed number 22 a compression spring. The spring that fell out looks like one of those.

Question is what is it/ are they for? Clutch still works OK, and brakes work OK too. What do they compress? And how would I get it back in?

All help appreciated.

I'm assuming it is a return spring for the clutch pedal , but as the fingers on the pressure plate will return the pedal anyway you probably wouldn't notice any difference if it was missing or broken

Maybe just on the initial free play of the pedal

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
Lancastrian View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-April-2007 at 22:38
Originally posted by andyclient andyclient wrote:

Originally posted by M3Nally M3Nally wrote:

All help appreciated.

I'm assuming it is a return spring for the clutch pedal , but as the fingers on the pressure plate will return the pedal anyway you probably wouldn't notice any difference if it was missing or broken

Maybe just on the initial free play of the pedal

cheers

Andy

I have not looked at the diagram but I guess it is the clutch "helper spring". It does not return the clutch but makes it so that it requires less effort to push the pedal down.

I was recently changing my clutch master cylinder due to having a heavy pedal and no feel. I found that my car only had the broken end of this spring assembly (no actual spring present). Bought a new one and fitted it at the same time as the cylinder. The clutch was so lightweight afterwards - too light for me. Took the spring off again and now it is fine - much lighter than my E91 330.

Edited and re-edited to say: Fitting the new part is not quite so straight forward as you have to attach it to the pedal, detach the master cylinder pull the pedal up and flip the spring over (or something like that) so that the other end rests in a groove and then adjust a lock nut to set the tension - If you set the tension before you install it the part falls to bits and a little c-clip springs off and vanishes. I would leave it off - others may advise otherwise.

Peter

Edited by Lancastrian
E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic