Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedO/S/R suspension sagging query

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: O/S/R suspension sagging query
    Posted: 16-April-2007 at 11:45

Since I had my 328i, the drivers side rear end was always soft and sagged excessively during normal and enthusiastic cornering whilst the all the other 3 corners felt spot on.  I put this down to perhaps worn suspension (shocks & springs) with may be the added issue of the common broken coil spring etc.

The other week I had new M-Tech shocks fitted front and rear, with new top mounts as well as a Boge Lowering Spring kit.

The car does ride and handle brilliantly now, but the drivers side rear end is still far softer than the other 3 corners and makes country lane driving annoying.  Does anyone have any ideas what could be causing this problem?

Let The Good Times Roll
Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 12:07
Bushing?

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 12:54

Sporty1 - I am having the rear trailing arm bushes and rear control arm bushes done in a few weeks time as all the bushes up front were done during the suspension work the other week. 

However, which bush(es) would cause the drivers side rear to squat/dip excessively during conering?

Let The Good Times Roll
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 13:56

Rear axle carriers bushes, my car, and E30, was sagging when these were worn, once changed the car reverted to 'normal' height and handling, although I realise the rear suspension on our respective cars is not exactly the same.

Rear top mounts have also cause problems with sagging IME, although as you've just changed these unlikely but still possible.

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-April-2007 at 14:26
Ok, i'll look into that and see if those bushes are available for mine, for the sake of what they cost I'll get them regardless, thanks
Let The Good Times Roll
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2007 at 12:05

Just phoned GSFCP and they have those axle carrier bushes which come as a pair for about £10 - for the sake of it, I'll be getting them delivered to the garage on Saturday - worth a shot for £10

Thanks Sporty1 - I'll let you know how I get on

Let The Good Times Roll
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2007 at 12:14
Originally posted by DSK328i DSK328i wrote:

Just phoned GSFCP and they have those axle carrier bushes which come as a pair for about £10 - for the sake of it, I'll be getting them delivered to the garage on Saturday - worth a shot for £10

Thanks Sporty1 - I'll let you know how I get on

Just a note, a friend used to have an 325i E36 which ran very low/and firm and knocked out one on the top mounts, the top of the shock was sitting on the rear shelf speaker casing, he replaced these with GSF top mounts, they only lasted a week before same thing happened. Then replaced with OE's and all good.

Personally I would go OE, at least, for all bushing JMHO.

If your top mounts are from GSF I'd check them before doing anything else, again JMHO.

Edit; Don't ask why the font has suddenly changed towards the end of the post.

Edited by Sporty1

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-April-2007 at 14:49

Thanks for that, I am aware that whilst cheap parts are offered for people who want to pay the bare minimal amount for parts, I always request the premium brand option and if the brand I want is not available I get it from the dealer. Lemforder items (used them across several vehicles in the past without any problems).  Also I have been using Febi bushes from GSFCP which again have not let me down across a few Vehicles.

Let The Good Times Roll
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2007 at 12:21

Just had a look at the above on the BMW parts catalogue, as there are a few bushes on there (number 2, 3 and 4), which specific one(s) are they, do you know?

Let The Good Times Roll
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-April-2007 at 21:47

The ones that mount the carrier to the frame/body, I would say 2 and 3 if my car is anything to go by.

Having said that looking here

http://bmwfans.info/original/E36/Cou/328i-M52/ECE/R/M/1998/0 1/mg-33/ill-33_1004/

the sagging could be down to the trailing arm mounts, 2 in the diagram. not quite the same set up as the old E30 loads of rubber in the e36 set up.

DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-April-2007 at 01:04

Thanks Sporty - I am getting the carrier bushes (2 & 3) tomorrow morning, well in a few hours judging by the time now lol.

I'll see if they have the trailing arm mounts too.

Let The Good Times Roll
Starfury View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 08:43
I had this on my E46 328i and it was cracked rear springs, both sides. Failed an MOT on it and cost me a lot of wonga.

Edited by Starfury
BMW 328i SE (E46/M52TU - I think) 99/T
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic