Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Worried - loud creaking noise and some vibration - oooerrrr
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWorried - loud creaking noise and some vibration - oooerrrr

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Worried - loud creaking noise and some vibration - oooerrrr
    Posted: 13-March-2007 at 08:25
Hi all...

OK this has been happening now for just over two months. I have had two garages look at it on a ramp and neither can find the cause of the creak. I asked them to check the subframe for tearing, the guibo (not sure on spelling), general suspension, etc. One garage said I had a bit of play in my drive-shaft but it would be fine for at least a year possibly more (the other garage didn't mention the drive-shaft at all. Its not just a "older car creak" as it only happens under certain circumstances as detailed below. I don't seem to have any noticeable reduction in performance or handling.

It does it when I am in gear and letting out or putting in the clutch, more noticeably in lower gears.
It doesn't do it when I push the clutch in and out when not in gear.
It doesn't seem to happen when i go over bumps (however I have heard it faintly on high speed cornering).
It seems worse when the car has warmed up.

I also have a vibrating that's started recently that I am getting on medium to heavy acceleration.
This also seems worse when the car has warmed up.
This seemed to happen when I made a sharp exit from a car park a couple months ago.
There is the possibility that this may be tyre wear and/or balancing as I am, lets just say, an enthusiastic driver. However it seems a lot more severe than I have experienced in either this car or previous cars.

I don't want to take to BMW as they will charge me £60 and could come back saying they can't find the problem, (at least the indi's haven't charged me for having a look).

Vehicle is a BMW 328i E46 (1999/T) with 128k miles on it.

Any thoughts.

Edited by Starfury
BMW 328i SE (E46/M52TU - I think) 99/T
Sponsored Links

Starfury View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-March-2007 at 08:26

Edited by Starfury
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2007 at 10:19

Close to impossible to diagnose without actually hearing the noise ... maybe try putting grease on the exhaust rubber mountings, check the exhaust mountings...maybe even check the engine mounts...could really be a million things ...

I wonder if you could get it onto a rolling road and see if you can hear the problem? Would tell you if it was mechanical or suspension related then?

Sorry

BB

Edited by BeemaBoy
87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-March-2007 at 12:50
There is a rubber jount in the center prop wear the gear box is that can wear would notices on gear changes low gears and when leting on off the throttol.
Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
Starfury View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2007 at 00:10
Got a name for that bit that I can ask the garage to look for...
neileg View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote neileg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2007 at 10:53
Known as the flex disk or guibo.
Cheers, Neil
BlueBeemer View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlueBeemer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-March-2007 at 17:30
Ermmm could it be the dreaded re subframe tear?
2000 328Ci vroooooooooom
Other drive:- 2006 Mini Cooper
Also have had:-
318iS 1994
non BMW
Viva, Fiesta 1.3S , Nova, XR2, Polo, Peugeot 405, Rover 216 Coupe, Merc A Class,
Starfury View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 08:31
I have had it up on a lift and its apparently definately not the subframe tear.
When I left it with the garage to look at they werent exactly aggressive with the driving and barely heard it.
So I took them out in it and he reckons its something in the drive-train, which they will only find out by taking the thing to bits. So they can't give me a price to up front.

I had the tyres changed and the vibrations have dropped considerably but are still there.

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 10:21
Engine and gearbox mounts? Have these been checked?

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Starfury View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 11:27
Noise is coming from the rear of the car and isnt the gearbox in the front?
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 12:03

Well, it's in the middle-ish.

Shall I get my coat?

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Starfury View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 13:39
I dont know lol.... 
Starfury View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-May-2007 at 13:40
I just want someone to fix it without me having to remortgage the house.
Starfury View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 18:14
Update:
OK apparently my Near-side-rear rear subframe mount, chassis / floor is cracked...

They reckon they gonna have to weld it and they will put a steel plate over it to reinforce it. That and the rear left wheel bearing for under £500 maybe bout £400...

I had a knock on the rear left two years ago... they had to change the rear panel and respray the wing. Whats the chances that caused a hairline crack in the above thats taken 2yrs to show itself?

Whats the chances of me getting someone else to pay for this?

Starfury
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-June-2007 at 18:43

Starfury - call the service manager at your nearest dealer and tell him you think you have a problem.  Describe it to him but don't offer more conclusion as to the cause other than to say that it appears that the floor seems to have ripped near the rear subframe mount.  Ask for them to inspect it and confirm if there is a problem. 

If they confirm then ask them to have it inspected by BMW because you feel it is a safety issue and an unusual structural defect in a car such as a BMW (especially one as easily driven and well minded as yours!).  If BMW inspect and confirm it then they should offer to undertake a proper repair (welding in reinforcement will repair it but it is a bit of a botch - BMW will remove most of the rear floor and weld in a new reinforced floor part).  There is actually a specific part number for the new floor used in the repair on www.realoem.com

I went through this with BMW here in Ireland a few months ago on my sisters behalf with a 328i Touring and the job was done with no fuss or arm twisting required, and no cost.  I'm aware of others in the UK and Ireland that have had it done in recent times.

I have some web links to background info that might be useful if you do have to twist arms to get anywhere.  I casually left copies of some of this stuff on the passenger seat when it went in for BMW to inspect it so that they might be aware that I knew something of the problem and BMW's approach to it.

PM me an e-mail addy and I'll reply with some links that might be useful.

Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
Starfury View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Starfury Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2007 at 09:50
OK I told them that whilst I was getting a wheel bearing looked at I was told that the N/S/R Rear Subframe Mount had torn from the chassis, (edit) and that it was a safety issue and an unusual structual defect for a car like a BMW (/edit). They will inspect it tomorrow to confirm, then speak to BMW. Receptionist was a bit "why do you want to speak to the manager", "how old is the car???" I was like look, this isn't your job, just push the damn button.
So we will see what happens tomorrow.

Edited by Starfury
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2007 at 09:59
Originally posted by Starfury Starfury wrote:

I was like look, this isn't your job, just push the damn button.

Originally posted by Starfury Starfury wrote:

So we will see what happens tomorrow.

Best of luck with that!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2007 at 10:02

Hmmm... was always told, and unfortunately had to learn, that you should always be nice to receptionists and PA's... They have a LOT of influence with the boss...

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
Dergside View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dergside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2007 at 10:22
Starfury - e-mail sent this morning.  Sorry for the delay, had a prob with e-mail at home last night.
Now: BMW 523i SE '00, 318i SE - e91 '07, 325i Coupe '93.

Prev:
e46 328i SE Touring, 330Ci, 318Ci.
e39 523i SE.
e36 325i Coupe *2, 323i SE, 316iSE.
e30 325iSE 2dr, 320i Conv, 320i 2dr, 316i.
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-June-2007 at 10:58

If they don't repair it then have a look at this.

Turner Motorsport do a subframe reinforcement kit which might be a better option than "welding in a bit"

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=T DR4675412

Hopefully they sort you out though..

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic