Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > General Forums > General Off Topic Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedBest Driving/Scenic Routes

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Driving/Scenic Routes
    Posted: 07-March-2007 at 19:49

I am collecting some info to do a feature in the BMW Car Clubs Mag and wondered if anyone has anything they would like to add to it

It is based on the best Driving/Scenic Routes in UK,Ireland and over seas.Ideally a little about the route and maybe a photo

so far i have the following

A701-Moffat to Edinburgh

Approx Distance-40 miles

The A 701 road from Moffat to Edinburgh passes the deep valley of the Devil's Beeftub, the Source of the Tweed, and the 'John Buchan Country' commemorated in 'The Thirty-Nine Steps' and 'Greenmantle'.

Six miles north of Moffat you get a great view of the Devil's Beef Tub, a vast, deep natural bowl once used by Border Reivers (rustlers) for hiding stolen cattle

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v36/pete323/BeefTub.jpg

A39-Lynmouth to Minehead

Approx Distance-16 Miles

The A39 Lymouth to Minehead Road Goes thru the Exmoor National Park

Abington Services Round Trip

Approx Distance-35 Miles

Start from Abington services on the M74 , Cross over the Motorway and go north on the B7078(old A74) for a few miles and turn left onto the B740 towards Sanquhar,Just full on twisty road . Road ends at the A76 , turn right and go through Sanquhar. Nice open road for a couple of miles then look out for the left turn onto the B797 to Wanlockhead and Leadhills . Now the road just get real mad .If you fancy a stop try the Hopetoun Hotel in Leadhill (37 Main Street,Leadhills,Near Biggar) the Highest Hotel in Scotland , Decent pub food and a coal fire.

Then just when you thought it could not get any better drive the rest of the B797 to Abington, it is a joy .

Thanks to Rachael from Hopetoun for allowing us to use there photo

Ullapool to Tongue

Approx Distance-100 miles

Starting off on the A835 Garve road in Ullapool head north on the A835 to Ledmore,At Ledmore  take the A837 North to Unapool where you will join the A894,This route see you taking in the North West Coastline with the breathtaking Atlantic Ocean on your left,At Scourie continue North to the A894 heading for Durness A838.Durness is fantastic place to stop off for some lunch and visit the John Lennon Gardens and Smoo Caves.Continue to Tongue on the A838 taking in some of the best roads and scenery Scotland Offers

Edited by Pete330
Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv
E92 325d M Sport(3.0),With Loads of gadgets

Current:
116i Sport F20
Sponsored Links

muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2007 at 10:32

A response --Love the A 701 Beeftub road  First shown it when running about on a CBR 600 , It will be my route home from the Moffat show.

Pete re Abington lap , post my pics to show how beatiful it is. ..Done thanks Pete

North of Ullapool great roads and at places the scenery looks like the moon!!!

Edited by muppet 2
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

Jack735 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jack735 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2007 at 13:40
Originally posted by Pete330 Pete330 wrote:

Ullapool to Tongue

Starting off on the A835 Garve road in Ullapool head north on the A835 to Ledmore,At Ledmore  take the A837 North to Unapool where you will join the A894,This route see you taking in the North West Coastline with the breathtaking Atlantic Ocean on your left,At Scourie continue North to the A894 heading for Durness A838.Durness is fantastic place to stop off for some lunch and visit the John Lennon Gardens and Smoo Caves.Continue to Tongue on the A838 taking in some of the best roads and scenery Scotland Offers

Tongue to Inverness on the way back down (although I did this trip the other way round) is stunning in its 'untouched by human hand' look.  A836.  Single track roads.  A real sense of adventure.  Try wondering round the other places up at the top too; Hope, Betty Hill and the like.

Oooh, The machine of a dream, such a clean machine With the pistons a pumpin', and the alloys all gleam, When I'm holding your wheel, All I hear is your gear, With my hand on your grease gun, Mmm it's like a disease son, I'm in love with my car, gotta feel for my automobile, Get a grip on my .......
Nigel View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nigel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2007 at 17:50
A44 from Worcester to Aberystwyth  
Best Wishes

Nigel

fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2007 at 19:28
The roads around Llyn Brenig and the denbigh moors

The A470 towards Blaeneau from Betws

The Nant-y-Garth Pass near Ruthin

Llanberis Pass (A5) from Betws to Bangor

Llanrwst - Colwyn Bay old road

Horseshoe Pass from Ruthin to Llangollen

from the top of my head, probably alot more local roads.

Don't have the photos but since I've just acquired a tripod that can be fixed...

Can wax lyrical about them on request.

Edited by fozzymandeus
stevesingo View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevesingo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2007 at 19:55
Tebay (M6 J38) to Appleby on the A66. Great strech of road with some well sighted sections where you can stretch the legs a little.

Steve
1990 Sport Evo No.47 Motec EMS
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2007 at 20:14
Originally posted by Jack735 Jack735 wrote:

Originally posted by Pete330 Pete330 wrote:

Ullapool to Tongue

Tongue to Inverness on the way back down (although I did this trip the other way round) is stunning in its 'untouched by human hand' look.  A836.  Single track roads.  A real sense of adventure.  Try wondering round the other places up at the top too; Hope, Betty Hill and the like.

Yes done all them

Thats the Tour`d`Ecosse Route for the BMWCC

Previous:

E36 318is coupe, E36 323i coupe, E30 316 saloon, E30 318 saloon, E46 330ci Sport Conv

Current:
116i Sport F20
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-March-2007 at 20:16

Originally posted by fozzymandeus fozzymandeus wrote:

The roads around Llyn Brenig and the denbigh moors

The A470 towards Blaeneau from Betws

The Nant-y-Garth Pass near Ruthin

Llanberis Pass (A5) from Betws to Bangor

Llanrwst - Colwyn Bay old road

Horseshoe Pass from Ruthin to Llangollen

from the top of my head, probably alot more local roads.

Don't have the photos but since I've just acquired a tripod that can be fixed...

Can wax lyrical about them on request.

Nice list there

If you have a brief discription about the routes and would like to add it to BMWCC Mag then that would be great

Previous:

Current:
116i Sport F20
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 10:45
pm sent
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 15:40
The Ring of Kerry.....

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 16:06
Originally posted by Horsetan Horsetan wrote:

The Ring of Kerry.....

Doubt it, bit inflamed at the mo... But I'll pass on your compliment
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
dryle View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dryle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 16:08
the lakes of killarney, gap of dunloe, the burren and through wiklow from blessington to glendalough
Dave Ryle

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -- George Bernard Shaw
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 17:25

Originally posted by dryle dryle wrote:

the lakes of killarney, gap of dunloe, the burren and through wicklow from blessington to glendalough

...via the Sally Gap!!

NOISUFNOC View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NOISUFNOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-March-2007 at 18:05

Scottish Driving roads pete, one word

APPLECROSS

http://www.pistonheads.tv/clip182

528 for now
Pete330 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pete330 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2007 at 18:26
Originally posted by NOISUFNOC NOISUFNOC wrote:

Scottish Driving roads pete, one word

APPLECROSS

http://www.pistonheads.tv/clip182

Tour `d `Ecosse 2007 route

Previous:

Current:
116i Sport F20
Horsetan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Say Neigh to Gatsos

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Horsetan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-March-2007 at 19:30

Have also driven Westport, Co. Mayo to Donegal Town, Co. Donegal, via:

- N59 to Newport

- R317 / R312 / R316 / R315 Glen Nephin route to Crossmolina

- rejoining N59 on to Ballina, Corbally (you're into Co. Sligo now, so!), Owenbeg, Dromore West, Templeboy, Beltra....

- joining N4 North at Belladrihid, and on to Sligo Town;

- picking up N15 North passing Drumcliff, Grange (briefly going through Co. Leitrim) and on to Bundoran (you're in Co. Donegal now), Ballyshannon, Ballintra, Laghy and finally Donegal Town

Takes a good three hours' drive in a hired Fiat Punto, but well worth it. Even in the depths of December, the sun often shines in from Donegal Bay and the Atlantic

muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2007 at 20:42
I don't just suggest them i do them . I have have just been back over the Abington servives circle. I set out about 5 pm top down fuelled up and set out towards the route , on the way had a few commuters to overtake but gentle driving in general 36 mpg, then on the final approach the traffic thinned out . It was only the second time I have done this route and it was better than I remembered, stunning views not a straght bit of road  and traffic was almost non existant . on the way back up to Lead hill stopped fora few pics but mostly just sher driving pleasure . Big speed are not the way of things with the road so tight but the corners are wonderfull.
Once I had finished it was back home on a road which was a favourite blat in my motorcycling days , by then i just was pretty much looking at the views , then a tractor at the head of a queue of traffic so it was a right turn onto another short but mad ribbon of road  before the last gentle pootle home .
Car back onto the garage  dust on the body panels and brake dust on the wheels I was a happy man , thoguh mpg was now 24.
Don,t just read these routes go and Drive them . Better still come up with your own so we can all join in
I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

finnie View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote finnie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-April-2007 at 21:53
A82 and A87 Spean bridge to Kyle, see the photo's in my recent thread, Couldn't resist here or Gorgeous day gorgeous drive in the scottish section
Silverstone Blue 2006 E60 M5, 1999 Caterham Superlight R, 204bhp!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic