Forum LockedICV location?? 1990 320I

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ICV location?? 1990 320I
    Posted: 15-October-2003 at 10:34

Hello to you all!

Me and my old man are going to attempt to solve my poor idling by cleaning out the ICV. One thing tho...

where is it and how do you remove it, is it something that can easily break?? do I have to drain anything before I remove??

Pictures speak a thousand words (as my grandparents used to say) so if anyone can post a piccy or two that would be great!!

Also, I have read that cleaning the AFM helps too, the same applies.. how do I remove it? is it easy to break? I know where it is tho!

Please excuse my lack of technical knowledge!

Any advice is a much needed help..

James.

--------------------

1990 320i Conv.

Sponsored Links

kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2003 at 10:44

The ICV is found connected midway along a kind of small bypass which brings air from the air filter housing to the intake manifold. If you stand on the passenger side of the engine bay, you will see a 4" pipe coming from the air filter housing (just in front of you on the left) to the intake manifold (silver/grey 6 piped claw [any better descriptions?]).
The ICV is half grey metal (the end connected to the air pipe) and half black plastic (connected to an electrical lead).

The AFM is attached on the top of the air fiter housing and has an electrical lead going into it.

Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
Mark R View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I
Wimborne, Dorset

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-October-2003 at 13:50
As you said, a picture makes it easier!

Part number 5 hilighted in RED

Picture kindly stolen without permission...

Use brake/carb cleaner, don't use WD40...

You don't need to drain anything, etc. Just undo the hose clips and pull off the hoses. Do check any of the hoses for splits, replace if cracked through.

Best of luck
Mark Roberts
E30 318iS

Wessex Region Secretary
E30 Registrar & committee member

Someone left a note on my windscreen. It read 'Parking Fine' that was nice
mactaff View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-October-2003 at 13:37
The picture shows the part but it won't be exactly the same on your 1990 320i.  I've just swapped mine and it is T-shaped.  The picture shows the L shaped version which was used on the larger displacement straight sixes of that time.  The simplest way to identify it is that it has a cast body with an arrow on it pointing from the direction of the AFM and to the throttle assembly.  Swapping the thing is very easy.  You will need a pair of pliers to remove the metal clip on the hose that fits to the ICV on the side next to the tail of the arrow.  Remove the clip, unclip the electrical connector, gently pull the unit from both ends of hoses either side of the T.  Clean thoroughly and allow the cleaner to evaporate.  Refit (replacing the connector with a small jubilee clip).  I bought a new one and fitted it in less than two minutes outside the parts shop I bought it from - doddle!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic