Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedrecent disastrous trip to italy!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: recent disastrous trip to italy!!
    Posted: 29-January-2007 at 14:19
well folks was away in turin last week trying to buy a 320is

now as some of you may know im a hard core veteran when it comes to bring stuff in from the continent - been to the uk many times - germany and france as well - so i know the score!

now i knew italy would be tough but not this tough.
I had been in email and telephone conversation with the garage selling the car for a full week prior to flying out. I was assured both orally and by email that there would be no problem whatsoever what me taking the car away on the day with the licence papers

so i arrived at the garage at 10am that morning. met the guy i had spoken to previously and he told me that the car was elsewhere and was been valeted. at 11.30 car arrived. I inspected it and drove and was very haapy. this took about an hour.

deal was done and i paid by credit card. I signed about 6 bits of documentation and had to meet 2 provisios before leaving with the car
1. a copy of my insurance to show i was covered on that car - not a problem. rang FBD - explained the situation, got a temp transfer request and they faxed it through to the garage.
2. they would only give me a photcopy of the tax book. Once i returned to Ireland I was to post back the no plates and then they would send me the original - no problem with that

1.30 arrived and they were still completing documentation. I was told to go for lunch and come back an hour later and that everything would be ready

so after lunch i came and there was a problem - there was 3 15" wheels on the car and 1 14". they wanted me to sign a document to say I accpted that - I said no problem. While they went away to get this document the head sales guy came up to me to say that I couldnt drive the car out of the country as the no plate belonged to them and they were financially and legally resposible for the no plate.

so after arguing with them that i had met their conditions, was assured by email that there would be no problem, the only option they would give me was to have the car transported out of the country which I wasnt prepared to pay for or do.

at the latter end i said forget about it and got a refund on my credit card.

i then left and needless to say got absolutely twisted that night in Turin. had to stay an extra 2 nights more than planed cos ryanair only do 2 flights a week to turin

So I ve missed out on the car but I will be back!!

Edited by Eamo
Sponsored Links

KenM325Ci View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KenM325Ci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 15:31
Ouch sorry to hear about that!!
gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 16:09

Difficult trip that.

It just shows that the novice would be on a "hiding to nothing" in a similar situation, when as you said yourself you have experience of importing.

Hopefully next purchase attempt goes better

Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 16:28

I have always been lead to believe that bringing a car across from the continent is a 'piece of cake', but have never done it myself.

A friend of mine is currently half way through the purchase of a Porsche 993 RS from H&S in Germany....wonder how that is all going to pan out??????

T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 16:43

Typical italians!! I can only imagine the volume of shrugging, gesticulating, "tutti-bene"'s and jumpers over shoulders that came off during the whole debacle. Not what you want so far from home. It'd have been a nice razz back too.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
brybusa View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brybusa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 16:45
Ah mate..what an adventure to buy a car...at least your sense of humour shone thru reading that!
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 16:50
I've heard about the number plate difficulties before... Italy is a notorious place to get a car out of...

If I ever try to get a car from there I'll be making use of my tuscan family!!
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 18:46
really sorry to hear that!!!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 20:26
That's a bit crap. Buy why on earth were you going all the way to Italy to buy
a BMW? I might buy a Ferrari from there but I'd buy a BMW from Germany.
there has to be plenty of well looked after examples there and the Germans
are generally more efficient and speak better English then most of us!
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 21:14
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

That's a bit crap. Buy why on earth were you going all the way to Italy to buy
a BMW? I might buy a Ferrari from there but I'd buy a BMW from Germany.
there has to be plenty of well looked after examples there and the Germans
are generally more efficient and speak better English then most of us!

its an e30 320is - only made for the italian portugese markets. they had a 2 litre e30 m3 engine in them due to tax purposes. standard m3 engines were 2.3 till the sport evo came out with a 2.5.

these are rare cars - thats why
JohnH View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 22:48
How much of a pain would it be to  do it again (but come home with the cat), now you know what's involved?   

Edited by JohnH
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 22:58

Originally posted by Eamo Eamo wrote:

its an e30 320is - only made for the italian portugese markets. they had a 2 litre e30 m3 engine in them due to tax purposes. standard m3 engines were 2.3 till the sport evo came out with a 2.5. these are rare cars - thats why

I offered to buy SWMBO a 320is to replace the the 318is

should I mention the LHD bit?

Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 23:04

S14 block too IIRC Eamo..

Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2007 at 09:45
Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

S14 block too IIRC Eamo..

exactly!!!

192bhp from a 4 pot!
beemerchris View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beemerchris Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2007 at 10:32

sorry to hear that. Even in my days growing up in bavaria everone there was horified to buy a car in Italy (and the bavarians love the italiens so that wasn't the reason). My brother emigrated to Italy with his family 6month ago and he gets screamin fits ever so often.....

Try to get garage plates here and you should be ok to transit the car trough europe. Maybe they give you some money of seeing that they said it's ok but changed the goalposts while you were there?

Oh and to the german question they have special plates to export cars if the garage sorted that for you peace of cake.

I for sure

Chris
3rock-Car-Electronics-Services

Cars.:
e34 540t 6sp
e24 635csi
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2007 at 13:08
Can you not get ZZ plates here for importing, or do they only apply to export?
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2007 at 13:40
yes i did ask about temp plates but the garage were not keen on it
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2007 at 16:00
So what if they weren't keen - it wasn't as if it would cost them anything!!!
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2007 at 22:25
Never mind Eamo, 2 months later you'd only flog it anyway 

..right pain tho' going through all that and then being let down at the last minute.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Eamo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eamo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-January-2007 at 09:38
Originally posted by Fey! Fey! wrote:

So what if they weren't keen - it wasn't as if it would cost them anything!!!

i know that but the point is that they are legally and financially responsible for the no plates.

Its not like here where you can go to any aul motor factors and get plates made up.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic