Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE46 Sat Nav

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E46 Sat Nav
    Posted: 27-January-2007 at 10:24
Hi fellas

I have just bought an 1999 E46 323i, it has got sat nav and the disc player is in the glove box which struck me as a bit weird so I got the print out from the dealer as to how it left the factory, it has the harmon kardon upgrade with leather and speacial order paint which is avus blue an e36 colour, leather multi function steering wheel but no mention of the sat nav. I am assuming it has been retro fitted but it doesn't work it keeps asking me to insert the CD, I do this and still nothing happens. Has anyone else had similar problems or knows of a fix.
Cheers
Sponsored Links

mickstreet View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mickstreet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2007 at 16:57
My E46 has sat nav with CD changer and H/K upgrade. Both the CD changer and sat nav DVD player are located in the boot. Are you sure the CD player in the glove box is for the sat nav or could it be a CD changer and have the sat nav box in the boot? Probably not I guess but worth a check??
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-January-2007 at 17:48

Where are you putting the disk?

It should be pretty obvious if it's an aftermarket system.

Codhead View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 12:05
The sat nav cd player is in the glove box which is where I am putting the CD and there is only a BMW multi changer in the boot space and nothing underneath

I don't know whether I am being thick but why should it be obvious that it's an after market system is it because the player is in the glove box? That is the only reason for it to be after market system because the screen and controls are in the right place.

Edited by Codhead
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-January-2007 at 14:21

Originally posted by Codhead Codhead wrote:

The sat nav cd player is in the glove box which is where I am putting the CD and there is only a BMW multi changer in the boot space and nothing underneath

I don't know whether I am being thick but why should it be obvious that it's an after market system is it because the player is in the glove box? That is the only reason for it to be after market system because the screen and controls are in the right place.

Aftermarket systems usually look very different to BMW OE systems, they will be branded as Becker, Blaupunkt etc, and branding is usually fairly obvious...... not suggesting that your being thick..... pictures may help.

Edited by Sporty1
Codhead View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2007 at 11:10
Here are some photos from inside the car

Hope someone can help from these
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2007 at 14:29

IRRC that's the BMW dealer fit unit made by VDO Dayton [MS 3000?].

Are you sure it's the correct disk?

Have you tried the normal sort of stuff like cleaning the disk?

If that doesn't or hasn't worked try a 'down power', or if there is a rest switch/button,normally recessed, on the front push that.

Worst case it may have laser/pick up problems, which is why it does not recognise the disk when inserted.

Edited by Sporty1
Codhead View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-January-2007 at 17:40
Cheers Sporty1 will try and let You know
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic