Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHID conversion

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HID conversion
    Posted: 23-January-2007 at 19:49
Just ordered a Bosch 6000k HID kit for my car,couldn`t stand the crap headlamps any longer.
I am not expecting to much,as I have heard things like "the reflectors are the wrong shape and won`t forcus the beam for optimal performance" etc.
I would just settle for an improvement over the 100 watt bulbs I have fitted at the moment.Am I expecting to much?

Jon
Sponsored Links

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IamSpartacus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2007 at 19:55
Hope not, please post up some before & after pics!
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2007 at 19:56
Originally posted by jon90 jon90 wrote:

Just ordered a Bosch 6000k HID kit for my car,couldn`t stand the crap headlamps any longer.
I am not expecting to much,as I have heard things like "the reflectors are the wrong shape and won`t forcus the beam for optimal performance" etc.
I would just settle for an improvement over the 100 watt bulbs I have fitted at the moment.Am I expecting to much?

Jon

I have just fitted some HID's to the tourer. What a difference!
But back to your conversion. I have seen that Andrew's HID lights are from an Audi TT (just the inner lense).
Don't know of how much a fiddle that is, but he said the same about converting the stockers to HID than you. Bright, but still not good. And using the "proper" reflectors will enable you to use standard HID bulbs which are available on EBAY for reasonable money. Not like the conversion type bulbs. I have also been told that some of the higher K numbers bulbs live expectation isn't so good.

forgot to mention. I have a bulb holder conversion kit for H1 to HID bulbs. I wanted to fit these to the M3, but can't be bothered anymore. If you get stuck with yours let me know. You can have them for a tenner.
I also have bulb converters for H7 (E36) to HID.

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2007 at 21:50
Thanks for the offer Uwe.
Just had a thought,I wonder if they will fit in my black headlamps?Oh well too late now,fingers crossed.

Jon
MorganIRL View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorganIRL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2007 at 09:30

Originally posted by Derek M5 Derek M5 wrote:

Hope not, please post up some before & after pics!

I'd be interested also to see the difference!! The idea of doing the conversion was planted in my head the other night........also interested in which ones people have fitted/recomend??

1990 BMW E30 M3
18" BBS Split Rims Trekmiester Suspension
Full Miltek S/S Exhaust
Carbon Fibre DTM Mirrors (sweeeeet!!!)
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2007 at 16:54
Jon in case you're not aware 6000k isn't as 'bright' as 4300K (20% less). In that 6000k isn't white light it will have a coloured 'max power' look to it...

http://www.tbyrnemotorsports.com/hids/hids.html

Edited by 215DMX
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2007 at 18:47
Dave.
I really couldn`t give a sh*t what colour the light is I just want to see where I`m going

Jon
SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2007 at 19:51

Jon,

I fitted one of the hids4u kits to my M3 just over a year ago.  Fantastic is all I can say.  Lovely crisp light, and the standard lamp units focus the beam perfectly.  The cut off is brilliant, and they don't dazzle others on the road.

My car has the later "smiley" lights, which seem to do a better job of the directing of the light. Not sure which lights you have, but if the older ones don't do the job so well you could perhaps look for a pair of the newer type from a breakers?

I thoroughly recommend the change though, you certainly won't look back!

Edited by SFH3L
Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2007 at 20:04
Thanks for the encouraging news Sam.Do you remember what heat range you fitted?
Will post some before and after pics for those that have asked.

Jon
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2007 at 20:16

Thanks for the encouraging news Sam.Do you remember what heat range you fitted?
Will post some before and after pics for those that have asked.

Jon

Don't buy lights from the breaker. GSF is selling NEW single ones for not much money.
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2007 at 20:34
I have both clear and black new smiley`s,although I aquired a bullet hole in my new black ones at Brands
If anyone tells you the lenses are easy to change don`t listen because they are a right pain.

Jon
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-January-2007 at 21:33

I have both clear and black new smiley`s,although I aquired a bullet hole in my new black ones at Brands
If anyone tells you the lenses are easy to change don`t listen because they are a right pain.

Jon

LoooooL!! That's what I found when I had that angle eye virus. I gave up in 2 mins after examination of the lamp housing.
SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2007 at 08:05

Jon,

I think mine were 600K's, but I need to check on the original packaging.  Either way, they are very "white" and not MaxP in their look.  Any brighter would be offensive to others I reckon...

One other by product is that they take about 5 secs to warm up to the correct light, which is then totally constant.  With the halogens, if you sat at tick over with say the fan and rear windo heater on as well as the lights, they would surge and go a bit dim with rising and falling engine revs.  made the car feel a bit like a banger.  The HIDs are rock solid.  They only consume 35 watt too, instead of the 55 watt H1 bulbs.

Sam.

My Financial Blog
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2007 at 10:48
Jon, wasn't saying 6000k isn't better than halogen, just saying 4300k is even brighter than the 6000k, which will give even better light output.

There is also the option of HID 50w racing kits...
SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-January-2007 at 13:09

Mine are definitely 600K - just checked the box.

V Good.

Sam.

My Financial Blog
Bravo73 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bravo73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2007 at 12:38

Be very careful about the alignment.

As Irving Berlin said, 'there may be trouble ahead...':

Autoexpress video report

Edited to correct link (I hope!)

Edited by Bravo73
B73
'88 M3 EvoII
'03 M3 CSL
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2007 at 13:18
Originally posted by Bravo73 Bravo73 wrote:

Be very careful about the alignment.As Irving Berlin said, 'there may be trouble ahead...':<span style="text-decoration: underline;"></span>Autoexpress video reportEdited to correct link (I hope!).

Because of that I decided against conversion bulbs and bought proper BMW XENON Lamps. When I pulled them apart to clean the lenses, I could indeed see that the reflector is different to the Halogen unit.
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2007 at 15:27
That`s why I was glad to here from Sam saying that his had a good cut of and doesn`t dazzel other road users.Just hope I get the same results.

Jon
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2007 at 16:36

That`s why I was glad to here from Sam saying that his had a good cut of and doesn`t dazzel other road users.Just hope I get the same results.

Jon

just let somebody drive your car towards yourself. And if you don't like it take it off. You can still contact Demlotcrew and ask him about his conversion. I am sure FAB can supply plenty of broken headlights from newer models with the lensbit still intact.
I was even thinking to get one of the bi-xenons inserts and get rid of the high beams for an air intake
SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-January-2007 at 17:10

I lied....

No, only kidding.  They are just like a brighter, crisper version of the elipsoidal lights as per OEM. 

I saw the controversy about the Auto Express article on the Z forum, and wasn't best pleased.  This country eh? What a sh@te place it is getting to live in!

Sam.

My Financial Blog
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic