Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedM5 Oil Consumption

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Direct Link To This Post Topic: M5 Oil Consumption
    Posted: 17-December-2002 at 08:36

I have recently bought a E39 M5 (T reg) which has done 40,000 miles.  The engine uses a lot of oil (about 1 litre per 1000 miles). Assuming I get 15,000 miles between services then I am going to have to put in 15 litres of top up oil !!!!!!!!

The BMW dealer has said that 1 litre per 1000 miles in within the tolerances and OK for the M5 engine and my engine is fine and there is nothing they can do.

I think 1 litre per 1000 miles is way too much and the engine may not be fine.

Can anyone advise on this subject ?

Sponsored Links

m5 cup View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2002 at 11:39

It's normal.

Don't try and save money by downgrading oil

Don't wait 'til the warning comes up to top up

IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2002 at 08:45

I bought an E34 M5 through Munich Legends and they told me the same thing; 1 litre every 1,000 miles........ more if your particularly heavy on the loud pedal. I'd done just under the 1,000 when the light came on and when I checked the oil was just about half way between the markers on the dipstick.

What oil are people generally using, I was recommended Magnatech???

The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
M3AG View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
7 series & e36 m3 registrar! (Madness)

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2002 at 15:59
if you get stumped, try  www.bmwm5.com  although a lot of US owners there, they have loads of experience with the E39 M5 and have more or less experienced every sort of problem/failure. There is also a healthy E34 section, members who also belong to the club go on this and that site, and again are very informative.
we're the Sweeney son, and we ain't had our dinner.....
MattOz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-December-2002 at 13:48
Unfortunately it does seem to be the norm with M5's. Luckily mine uses very little in the way of oil. I check every 500 miles and so far I've not had to top it up. I've only done just over 1000 miles in the car, so yet to see what long term consumption will be like.

BMW recommends Castrol RS 10W60 fully synthetic for M5's of our age. I've got a 2000 W-plate. Even says so in the handbook and on the windscreen! It's good oil, as I've used it in my Skyline and Imprezas in the past, and if it can cope with turbochargers, it'll cope with the M5!
I understand that the reason behind oil consumption is that the pistons are forged and therefore take a little while to expand in the liners when cold. This is perfectly normal and once up to temp they will not allow oil to be burned off etc. Seems reasonable to me.

However, I can understand your concern. Still, at least the car is having a regular "oil refresh" as it were. Can't be too bad for it.

Cheers
Matt

PS - There is loads of info on BMWM5. com. Worth a read. In fact, I think you've posted on there already!
MattOz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2002 at 13:49
Now done 2000 miles and still not used a drop of oil! Guess I must just be lucky

Matt
IamSpartacus View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-January-2003 at 16:41
Have just completed a two week 2,000 mile return run from Dublin to and around Bordeaux in my E34 M5 and had to top up 2 & 1/2 litres over the duration of the trip. There was some fairly enthusiastic driving though which may account for the extra 1/2 litre! I've now done 4,500 miles in mine and have put 4 & 1/2 litres in so the book and the dealer  seem to be spot on.
The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think.
stevie53 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-January-2003 at 13:57

I was beginning to get worried myself, i haven't actually done a mileage check on the oil comsumption but it is has been quite high compared to my previous motors. I do have a right foot made of lead so I can expect consumption to be high.

after reading some of these threads I can relax a bit knowing that this is normal, now I can get down to what M cars are meant for.

///2000 E39 M5 Imola Red/// NO MORE

una volta lei ha avuto l'italiano lei non andrą mai tedesco di nuovo haha
frank View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-January-2003 at 01:44

Just done 1000miles since I had my oil service done by local main dealer and gong has just gone off. Strange as this is much better than before and I have done some "comfortable" speeds courtesy of a run from London to Paris and back. Some of which was in the company of a French X5 nut acting as my nightime pathfinder. Will see how long before the Gong goes.

Frank

1993 E34 //M5 3.8 "nurburgring"

MattOz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2003 at 09:19
I guess I must be the "lucky" one then. I've got an E39 M5 and it's used about 200ml of oil in just over 2000 miles
This includes a gentle amble around Donington at the weekend, but apart from that it is mostly motorway mileage. Would
recommend Castrol RS10W60 oil for both E34 and early E39 M5's. I understand that the post 2001 E39's have different pistons
and therefore use different weight oil, a 5W40 from memory.

Judging by the posts above I must be driving mine like a pansy! LOL

Matt
frank View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-January-2003 at 14:01

Matt

My Owners Handbook says "oils must be of viscosity class SAE15 W-40/15 W-50" 

Any comment?

Frank

`93 ///M5 3.8 

MattOz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2003 at 12:21
Frank,

Not sure about that one! My handbook specifies a 10W60, that is either Castrol RS or another make beginning with a V, that I can't
remember. I called in at my dealer on Monday to confirm that 10W60 was OK for my car, and they confirmed that it was. BMW is now using a
Castrol oil that is effectively RS10W60 under another name. I think it was called Castrol TWS Motorsport.

As you have an E34 and mine's an E39, I reckon that's why yours recommends a slightly different weight of oil. You might find that if you changed to
a 10W60, that consumption rose a little. I've alway used RS10W60 in all my high performance cars, Skyline, Impreza, etc etc, and it's always been spot on.

Cheers

Matt

frank View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-January-2003 at 14:17

Matt

Rang up BMW and they told me they had used standard semi-synthetic in the oil service (forgot which spec of oil). Must be expensive stuff it came to over £50 for the oil alone,

Cheers

Frank

MattOz View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-January-2003 at 11:35
Frank,

I think that BMW charge about £15 per litre for the Castrol oil! Nothing short of scandalous really, considering my M5 takes approx 7 litres! However, I luckily have a contact who can get me the required oil much more reasonably.
Might be worth trying to source the oil elsewhere. My dealer has been fine with me supplying my own oil.

Cheers
Matt
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic