Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Lockedthermostat & cooling system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: thermostat & cooling system
    Posted: 09-January-2007 at 16:49

Hi guys,

I require some guidance on a small matter with regard to my cooling system. Firstly, the other day I had been for a long drive to an out of town shopping centre. Upon return to the car and having sat waiting to leave in traffic my engine overheated and suddenly blew its load all over the road.

I managed to nurse it to services not far away before the coolant warning light came on and refilled the cooling system as I could not see any leaks or broken hoses (I attributed the failure to me not putting the cap back on the expansion tank 100% properly a couple of days prior). This is because all of the fluid was around the expansion tank not the radiator and the cap was a little loose.

However, after letting the car cool down I drove off and soon the engine got up to normal temp. (about halfway on the gauge) the needle was moving pretty erratic and occasionally reading in the red. I stopped the car a few times on the way home to check the coolant level which was fine no stem etc and the heater matrix was all good too. I spoke to a local garage and they reccommended replacing the thermostat as a precaution even though I thought it could have been a dodgy sender unit as the engine appeared to run fine.

Nevertheless, I got a new thermo and began the renewal today having drained and flushed the system only to find that the thermo I had been provided was the wrong sort . Having found what I do need  it is a sealed unit which turns out is reasonably expensive.

Therefore, here is my dillema do I go ahead and purchase the new thermo (anyone know the part number its for a '90 E30 M3 w/ S14 engine) and will this fix the problem or is there some other gremlin I don't yet know about, so some advice would be appreciated folks.

The gauge did jump about a little before this ever happened but never ran into the red and the engine always ran fine even though its a bit lumpy but apparently thats normal for this car.

Sponsored Links

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2007 at 17:03

Part number for your stat is 11531315537.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1005&mospi d=47266&btnr=11_0784&hg=11&fg=35

My M3 had a problem with the temp gauge doing little 'flicks' of the needle, normally when on the move after about half a hour of continuous driving. Left it running one to get a paper from the petol station, w hen I can back to the car gauge was in the red but  when I closed the drivers door it jumped back to the normal sort of position.

I changed the temp gauge sender, problem solved.

Some have found this to be the connections on the back of the SI board, loose nuts that earth the gauge I believe?

If the gauge rises very quickly, past it's normal position and does little 'flicks' then it's likely to be electrical. 

Not sure about the boiling over though, my car never had that problem, may have been the cap as you said, get a new cap first, it's the cheaper option.

HTH

Edited by Sporty1
Timsteren View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Timsteren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2007 at 18:47

Hi,

if the car boiled over, then it can't just be a problem with the temp gauge and could possibly be a problem with a loose (or faulty) radiator cap or damaged hose. But it could also indicate a thermostat problem or that the electric fan isn't coming on (I guess you don't have a fan on the front of the engine). A thermostat problem could give the temp gauge symptons you describe - going up into the red then dropping back down as the thermostat erratically opens and closes. I don't think I would like to take too many chances and for peace of mind would change the thermostat (it's a small price in comparison to a warped head) and radiator cap - make sure you get the cap for the M3, I believe it is different to other E30s and is rated to a higher temp/pressure.

Cheers, Tim.

SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-January-2007 at 19:51

When the car boiled over (and later when it read high on the gauge) were you moving or standing still?

If standing still I would check the electric fan, fuses and two or three pin fan switch down by the stat (and the associated wiring.

If it got hot while moving, check stat, water pump and also flush cooling system in case there is any debris in it which temporarily slowed or blocked circulation.

As others have said, you may well have sender and/or gauge problems, but the boiling over is a physical symptom of something more fundamental.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 03:55

I have known all the above faults, and can't really add to them. My temp gauge needle on the Evo2 never goes above the 1/3 mark on the gauge. As it creeps above the third mark the radiator fan comes in on slow speed, if the temp get just over half way it switches into fast speed, then quickly falls back to the 1/3 mark. I fitted a new thermostat, radiator and cooling fan switch to it. Previous to the fitment of those components, the car used to run 2/3 all the time with the fan cutting in just before the red.

My SE though, used to run 1/3 of the way up the gauge and the fan cut in at the 2/3 point. But I changed the thermostat on that one and it now seems to run more 1/2 to 2/3 all the time. This may also be something to do with the slow speed fan not cutting in. Also I have replaced the instruments (getting rid of dreaded grey faces) and temp gauge sensor and since then the gauge has flicked up and down. I am sure this is me not tightening the gauge securing nuts up tight enough though.

I'd imagine the flicking of your gauge would more than likely be the gauge or securing nuts to the printed circuit for the gauge. Or it could be a wire shorting to earth too? Your overheating, I would check the connection to the radiator fan (EDIT) SWITCH - usually fitted in the thermostat housing. Infact I would replace that connector as a matter of course.

HTH

Edited by SHEPSM3
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 14:28

Thanks for the info guys,

Yes it did get hot while on the move although when I stopped and checked the coolant on the way home the level was fine and there was no excessive heat. By the way mine is air cooled, I don't have a fan (wish I did though).

Sporty, that diagram you sent is a peach but I have a question relating to it though. On item 17 (thermostat) there is a double temp. switch (item 18) and a temp switch (item 19). Do you know what is the difference between these two? On my thermo item 19 has been replaced with a bolt and I still have the connection for it sitting idle in my engine bay.

Furthermore, with regard to the temp. gauge sender is that item 5 or 7 in the diagram?

Cheers,

Kermitt.

BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 14:49

I know that when this happened on my aluminum engined 525i, it blew the headgasket and I had only driven it for a few miles before I noticed the steam from under the bonnet. The service attendant had left the cap off and all the coolant boiled out, letting the engine run dry. I got no warning though from the temp guage...it stayed dead centre. It only moved into the red once I put the cap back on and sealed the system again...

I am sure an E30 M3 engine is VERY different, but worth adding the words

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 14:49
Originally posted by kermitt kermitt wrote:

Thanks for the info guys,

Yes it did get hot while on the move although when I stopped and checked the coolant on the way home the level was fine and there was no excessive heat. By the way mine is air cooled, I don't have a fan (wish I did though).

Sporty, that diagram you sent is a peach but I have a question relating to it though. On item 17 (thermostat) there is a double temp. switch (item 18) and a temp switch (item 19). Do you know what is the difference between these two? On my thermo item 19 has been replaced with a bolt and I still have the connection for it sitting idle in my engine bay.

Furthermore, with regard to the temp. gauge sender is that item 5 or 7 in the diagram?

Cheers,

Kermitt.

Mate. Some how I don't think your car is air cooled unless it's a M3 made by Porsche. If it was truely air cooled it would not have a radiator or water to boil over.

Look through your front kidney grill you should see a fan, these cars have electric fans as opposed to viscous [in most cases at least, think air con cars or is it just US that have both?] If you cannot see a fan then I'd say thats your overheating problem sorted. It's missing a fan.

Temp sensor is item 7, the brown sensor with single pole connection.

My car only has one temp switch which is 18, the double temp switch as the fans are two speed thus the double switch, don't know about the other one.  

HTH

Edited by Sporty1
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 14:53

You must not have a fan... It shows it on realoem nut does not list it?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1005&mospi d=47266&btnr=11_0613&hg=11&fg=35

BB

Edited by BeemaBoy
87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 15:08
Originally posted by BeemaBoy BeemaBoy wrote:

You must not have a fan... It shows it on realoem nut does not list it?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=1005&mospi d=47266&btnr=11_0613&hg=11&fg=35

BB

My car does not have the fan that you have found on realoem, thats the viscous fan. My car and kermitt's should both have the electric fans in front of the radiator, visible through the kidney grill.

Edited by Sporty1
kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 15:53

Roger that chaps it does have a fan just could not see it before in the engine bay. I'm just going to warm her up just now and make sure the fan works. Will let you know.

kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 16:12
Okay, been for a quick run and when I got back there was a little steam eminating from the front end even though the gauge read roughly 3/4, however, the fan still has not come on. I'm now going the check the fan motor first if I can find a battery to use.
kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 16:22
Okay chaps, anyone know how I can test the fan without removing the radiator first seeing as it sits right in front of the radiator and underneath the front panel.
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 16:37

Okay chaps, anyone know how I can test the fan without removing the radiator first seeing as it sits right in front of the radiator and underneath the front panel.

Have you bleed the system out properly?

I think, but am not sure that there is a relay for the fans.

Remove the front grill and the centre 'kidney' comes off in three pieces screws in bottom corners and clips at the top, you'll need bonnet open. This could give you some access to the fan.

kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 16:47

Yes, completely flushed yesterday and the water ran very clear.

You are right there is a relay so there is another possibility. Will give it a go and will let you know how I get on. Thanks very much for your help.

Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 16:54

Yes, completely flushed yesterday and the water ran very clear.

When I asked have you bleed the system properly I actually meant bleed it of any trapped air, ie heater on max hot setting when you run the engine up?

Andy S View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 17:02

Try taking the plug on the thermostat housing off and bridging two of the wires together ( i can't remember which two ) using an old piece of wire.  If this is wrong someone will correct me. This should make the fan run but if it doesn't then look at fuses. It is a common problem on M3's and usually means a new fan. They are about £200 from the dealer or try Kirby at C3 as he is slightly cheaper.

E30 M3's never die
andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 17:18

i guess from reading your earlier post where you say you have a bolt in the thermo housing that your car is an early model which has the switch in the bottom l/h corner of the rad.

if it has 2 spade terminals then the low speed fan should come on with the ign on and the high speed come on when temp gets to around 3/4 if it has 3 round pin terminals then the low speed fan comes in automatically around half way and the high sped fan comes in around 3/4

The fuses for

1. low speed no3 15amp

2. high speed no18 30amp

As stated the s14 engine will boil over if it is not bleed properly.

You need to have the engine running heater on hot and run with rad cap off until a constant flow is seen coming from the return pipe into the expansion tank .

I found it helped if the car was facing downhill slightly .

When you have a constant flow check the heater is putting out hot air , replace cap and go for a drive

Cheers

Andy

p.s if its the 2 spade terminals connect them together and the fan should run at high speed

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
Lancastrian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lancastrian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 17:36

andyclient has summed it up fairly comprehensively. The only thing I would add is that each of the two fan circuits is also controlled by a relay.

Slow speed is K1 - This is in the fuse box, the row nearest the centre of the car and the one nearest the front of car in this row.

High speed is K6 - This is in the fuse box, the row nearest the wing of the car and the one second from the front of car in this row.

And there are two further fuses involved - Nos. 19 and 20.

E30 M3 Project - Specification TBC
kermitt View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kermitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-January-2007 at 17:49

Hi,

Unfortunately I can't gain access to the fan to check the motor. I have taken the grill off and got everything else undone however, there must be a fixing at the bottom of the fan shroud that I cant get to and I cant get to the back of the fan either.

As we speak I am bleeding the system just now then I will try Andy S suggestion next to bridge the connection at the thermostat housing.

I have had a good poke round to find these swithces on the rad and can't find anything of the sort. There is two small round indentations on the bottom l/h of radiator opposite the bottom rad hose connection where I thought the switches would be however these holes are blank.

Any other suggestions as to where they might be?

Also, I have checked the fuses and they are ok and at the correct rating.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic