Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 3 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked15BHP Power Mod/Chip BMW

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasgrif11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 15BHP Power Mod/Chip BMW
    Posted: 30-December-2006 at 20:56
These mod chips being sold on ebay for £15-£30, do they really work?. I would like to get rid of the lag under 2000rpm on my 318 but something tells me these chips are rubbish. Any views?

Edited by jasgrif11
Sponsored Links

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-December-2006 at 23:34
Hi jasgrif11. Welcome to our fantastic forum. Yes these chips are rubbish.
There's no such thing as a free lunch and all that. Some of these chips just
fool the engine into thinking it's cold and give more fuel etc, which you don't
want. If you're going to modify your car there are plenty of worthwhile mods,
but these will add up to a little more than 30 pounds. Performance air filter
with heat shield, exhaust and maybe a remap will all help. What model/year
do you have?
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
What’s this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2006 at 11:06
Welcome  jasgrif11!! 

Like  Alex, i would say avoid those chips like the  plague!  The guys here had a remapping day earlier this year with some very good results. Anyone know if there is another remapping day in the pipeline? I could use getting the tds done!

Where in Limerick are you  based?
Ady530i View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ady530i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2006 at 11:11

the best chip to get ive been told is a viper 2 chip.

ady    

93 (K) E34 530i V8, Granite silver, black leather, a/c, 18" M-Para's, clear indicators, s/s exhaust, angels, black grille
jasgrif11 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jasgrif11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2006 at 11:49
Cheers guys

My car is 2003 318i. What kind of price are we talking about for "Performance air filter with heat shield, exhaust and maybe a remap"? who has done this and what are the results like?

Denis I'm in Raheen. I would definately be interested in a remapping day.
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2006 at 12:15

Hey,

There was a remapping day over on bmw-driver.net and i used this to get my TD chipped with good results, however some e46 owners had problems and i dont think a repeat day with the same tuner would be in the pipeline, in saying that there are plenty of people doing it so if there were enough interest we may be able to approach someone else? or the same agent who did my car as i understand he is using other software now,

I would be interested in getting my 525i Sport done. Maybe if people who are interested could pm me and ill get a list together and check for prices??

Oh and hey to another limerick member!

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
kdevitt View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kdevitt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2006 at 13:58
Originally posted by Ben O Brien Ben O Brien wrote:

some e46 owners had problems and i dont think a repeat day with the same tuner would be in the pipeline

And some E39 owners...

I wouldn't recommend anyone doing a remapping day - if you're getting it done you want to remapper to actually spend some time customising the map for your car, not just throw on the generic map for your car. I'm sure you can get a discount based on a number of guys getting it done at different times - I've had one or two places contact me about this since the remapping day disaster!

Also make sure you get a rolling road readout before its done - I'd recommend getting it done somewhere that has no connection to the person doing the remap. Then go back afterwards to the same place to check the results.

mick o c View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mick o c Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-December-2006 at 15:08
ive had this done on a few audis that ive owned and ive got them done in westward engineering in enfield, and i never had any trouble with the work he done and it made a big difference to the cars performance however i never had the cars on the rolling road before or after so i wouldnt know the exact bhp gain
mick
2001 530d steptronic
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2007 at 00:41
Is yours the 1.9 litre or 2.0 litre engine in the 318i? I've heard that e46's
don't respond too well to remaps. Dave F seems to do the best air filter with
heat shield and are custom made to fit each individual type of BMW. They're
about 160 pounds sterling but he'll give a discount to forum members. This
will give a couple of extra ponies but will make the engine a bit more
responsive. And of course it will sound a lot better. Diddo for a new exhaust.
I'd go for an Eisenmann one. Look HERE
Lots of guys here have these exhuasts but I've
only heard them on 6 cylinder cars so maybe get some opinions before
buying one for your car just to make sure.

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
DJ Genius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Genius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2007 at 21:40
Where would be the best place to by performance chip for a bimmer? Do you know any websites or something?

I know one German site, they are like pro racing team and they sell Pro Performance chips not only for bimmer.
Give it a try:
Pro Performance chips

Edited by DJ Genius
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-January-2007 at 23:38

As said DJ, Generic remaps arent really worth their weight, especially on a N/A car. I have heard nothing but good reports of martin treacy at westward and id also recommend martin at autoremap too. it would be best i think to phone up a few of the companies first and ask their honest opinion of e46 mapping and take it from there. Alex does make good points there on the induction/exhaust route, generally the most effective mods on N/A cars, but try talking to some of the mappers about the 2k flatspot you spoke about and take it from there would be my advice.

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
94' M3 3.0 Convertible

*E36 M3's Breaking*
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2007 at 00:31
The only advice I would offer is to get the car dynod both before and after the remap to see how comparable the map is against the 'advertised' figures.
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
DJ Genius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Genius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2007 at 00:43
Originally posted by kbannon kbannon wrote:

The only advice I would offer is to get the car dynod both before and after the remap to see how comparable the map is against the 'advertised' figures.

Yeah, I think I would like to do that. But where can you run DYNO around Dublin?
kbannon View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
E39 525i Sport Individual

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kbannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2007 at 00:52
Martin in Westward in Enfield is your only man!
Current: 2009 E60 520d "Sport" tractor
Previous: 1989 E30 320i SE
1997 E39 523i
2003 E39 525i Sport Individual
DJ Genius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Genius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2007 at 01:00
So, he's the same Martin Ben was talking about? Basicly, you're suggesting me get in there, run on DYNO, remap and run DYNO again? Well, we would get real HP gains than :) How much would remaping be?
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-January-2007 at 01:34
Well i mentioned two martins, one martin treacy in enfield, other is martin duffy at autoremap in dun laoghire (sp?). Cost varies a lot, can be anything from 300euro - 600euro depending on the company.
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
94' M3 3.0 Convertible

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Estate_Guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estate_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2007 at 07:36

I have an E30 with a 1.6 litre M40 engine. Not an ideal starting point I know but the car is a great little goer on the roads. Buddy of mine was telling me the best way to unleash some more ponies would be to get an aftermarket exhaust manifold....he said it is expensive but the best option if money ain't any object...that and a K&N filter. Does anybody agree/disagree with the above plan of action? And where can I source a decent aftermarket exhaust manifold?

Rgds, Colm

1993 E30 1.6 M40 Touring with 114k on the clock!

Colm
'93 BMW E30 316 Touring with 117k on the clock!
DJ Genius View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DJ Genius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-January-2007 at 13:40

Well, yes, it is true. But it is very hard to say which mod is the BEST. That's why the best thing would be to mod as much as you can. Exhaust manifold would help a lot though, cause reworked gas would leave the engine faster giving you more about real 20-30HP. K&N filter... well filter one alone would not help as much as a change of a filter + cooling system. The best thing would be changing all Cold Air Intake, which would give you real 10-15HP. But then again, you might have some problems passing your NCT test.
Anyway, aftermarket exhaust would cost you about 900-1000 euros (good and known brand, not eBay s***t). I would suggest you buying M power exhaust manifold. I am not sure about E30, but E36 M3 exhaust manifold fits E36 non-M3. So you might need to check that info with E30 more experienced guys at first.

Edited by DJ Genius
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 11:52

Ok valid points but an exhaust manifold is not going to give 20-30brake on a 1.6 e30 engine, or morst engines for that matter.

On a naturally aspirated engine like that your friend is right, promote airflow, and make it cold air, but you wont be seeing anything near 30 brake extra but it will breathe easier and feel more responsive. Im not sure how an M40 respnds to chipping but id imagine there wouldnt be a huge benefit,

The most bang for buck you will get though is by having a look in adverts here and buying eamos 325i conversion off him, as they say theres no replacement for cubic displacement.

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
94' M3 3.0 Convertible

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Estate_Guy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Estate_Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-January-2007 at 12:02

Cheers Ben, just sent Eamo a PM.

Colm
'93 BMW E30 316 Touring with 117k on the clock!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic