Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW 5 Series
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked530DA E39 Self Destruct

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2007 at 09:53
Originally posted by jabuk jabuk wrote:

To clarify the failure, the high pressure fuel pump was leaking diesel in to the sump. When the sump reached a certain level (takes some time) the mixture was drawn up in to the intake via the turbo. The engine then ran on its own engine fuel mixture, at maximum rpm, and would not shut down. Within 3 minutes the engine was a write-off.

Any see Top Gear last night?

Their 330D doing the Britcar 24Hr at Silverstone had exactly the same problem after a turbo failure at 44,000 miles. Obviously not an isolated incident.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Sponsored Links

M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2007 at 12:39
Sporty1,

Yes I saw it, they did have the problem but placed the blame on the methanol additive used in the fuel for wasting the seals.

E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2007 at 13:24

Originally posted by M3Nally M3Nally wrote:

Sporty1,

Yes I saw it, they did have the problem but placed the blame on the methanol additive used in the fuel for wasting the seals.

Don't believe that for a moment as there grew SFA in that fields, which incidently is not far from were I live.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2007 at 13:19

Yeah no suprise to me when they said they had to replace the turbo and all the fuel injectors on the car.

Obviously cost wasn't an issue.  Injectors £300 each?  Turbo £2-3k

Ouch.  Which is why I don't have a diesel beamer!  Even though they are great to drive.

I think the clue is in the first three letters of the fuel.

DIEsel

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2007 at 13:50

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Blimey.. hope all goes right in the end. Was thinking about a disco at one time but the turbo issues put me off - same with the 5.. Good luck 

Never hard off any probloms with the Disco turbo's ? and I a avid land rover fan

Mark 735 se 1982
RED BARON A E23 is for life not just for x-mas
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2007 at 13:52
Just out off intrest how many people let the turbo's cool down arfter a drive?
Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
Andrew Rolland View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Go away rain

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew Rolland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2007 at 15:09

Landie Turbo problems?

Well the Landie we used for site, you could drive into the site compound, switch off the engine, walk into the site huts, sit down and still hear the turbo run.

No oil to the bearings and the red hot turbo is still spinning. 

They are a time bomb waiting to go off.

Not enough people know to let the engine tick over before switching off.

Andrew

Be exclusive and drive a Petrol 5 Series!

Current
'13 62 F10 535i MSport Auto

Previous
'04 04 E60 545i SE Auto
'03 53 E60 545i SE Auto (Stolen)
'98 S E39 523i SE Auto
stephenperry View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenperry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2007 at 18:07

maybe "turbo timers" should become standard fitment

2007 Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCI Titanium X Auto

1983 Ford Sierra XR4i
    2000 Alpina B10 3.3 #118
    1999 BMW 323Ci
    1995 BMW 318i SE
    1994 Vauxhall Omega 2.0 GLS
    1995 Ford Mondeo 1.8 LX
    1990 Honda Concerto 1.6 EX
    1986 Ford Orion 1.6 GL
    1989 Ford Fiesta 1.1 Firefly
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-December-2007 at 18:32
Originally posted by bmw1066 bmw1066 wrote:

Originally posted by Rhys Rhys wrote:

Blimey.. hope all goes right in the end. Was thinking about a disco at one time but the turbo issues put me off - same with the 5.. Good luck 

Never hard off any probloms with the Disco turbo's ? and I a avid land rover fan

I could tell you a few Discovery horror stories. I wouldn't have one given and that's not just because I hate 4x4s

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2007 at 11:11

Well I am a big land rover fan And have a v8 Disco never had any mager probloms v8 still running great 140+k. I also know of plenty of people that have had more probloms with there Ford Focus that the Range rover.

I can list Horror storyes From all mager Man's, Ford, Voxhall, BMW, VAG. Been in the trad I get to see all maner of things and ford voxheep are bye fare the worst affenders. Yes land rovers ant great and the p38 is very very bad but you will onley eve hear horror storyes. Look at BMW Turbos going at 50k and Then you have the Nickeal, VAG have gear box and fule injecters going, Ford and voxhepp mainley love to eat ECU's land rover any the best in the world but knowing people that have driven to cape town and back in the 230k Disko and one guy in his 170k RR drove to and arout SA for over a year.

Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2007 at 12:49

I know a bloke who's wife has had 3 Discoveries Diesels in a row and all of them have had serious problems ranging from gearboxes going bang to head gaskets blowing. The latest one was bought brand new and has still had issues.

My sister has a landrwover freelander that is three years old and just outside of the new car warranty. Recently the window mechanism in the drivers door failed so she went back to the main dealer who told her that the window runner had rusted away due to water ingree and would need replacing. When she questioned if this should be covered by landrover they said no. For a just over 3 year old car to be suffering from such problems is, IMO, totally unacceptable.

I went on a work team building event once that included some off road driving in ladrover defenders. The guy who ran the offorad centre told me that no other 4x4 could do what a defender does, however he also told me that they break down quite lot and that unless you need to do a lot of serious off roading a japanese one was a better buy. Oh and he used to work for landrover, taking new customers out to show them what their new car could do etc.

Lots of cars have problems, my ford focus is a perfect example, however I suspect that the reason you may see more fords and vauxhalls with problems that other makes is down to how many there are. There are litterally 3 times more focuses in my work car park than any other single make of car let alone model.

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
bmw1066 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
GOOD OLD E23

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bmw1066 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-December-2007 at 18:23

Fair point but I could list the same as you have just said for Ford BMW and Voxheep. Jap 4+4 are very relible but then it's a jap car. I used to work for a land rover non main dealer. AS 4 the window mec I too have replaced them on a free lander at to years and the sun roof mec but having sain that so have I replaced them on a many ford's and other makes at simaler ages. I know land rover are bad and It's not very good there arfter sails is crap but no other mrke is a lot better. My mate at Part's Copers BMW has had his toyota in the main agent 8 time this year thay have had the car for near 4 in totol.

I'm just a sad nuptey that love's Land rovers and other unrelible trash

Mark 735 se 1982
BMW e34 530 v8 Sport kit
Spelling always Bad
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic