FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSpeed bumps - what damage?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-December-2006 at 09:24
I hit a few of the really narrow sharp ramps yesterday (on the way into
Hilltop Quad) and something under the car was banging off the ramp also. I
went over really slow and it seems that when the front suspension
compresses the car hits the top of the ramp. Went over a little faster on the
way out (like 5mph) and the car didn't bang off the ramp but if felt a lot
harder on the suspension. Poxy ramps.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Sponsored Links

topazman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2006 at 23:54
I have hit a few ramps and heard a clang and it was the lower contol arm also some ramps cause the plastic lip to scrape of the drop  
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
milltown View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote milltown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-December-2006 at 23:47

When I bought my 320 coupé I didn't think it was much lower than the 318 saloon it replaced but a couple of speed ramps have made me guess again. I do slow right down for them but in a few cases not enough. I hear a horrible thud as the suspension is compressed when the wheels reach the bottom. I haven't had a chance to crawl under the car to see what part is meeting the ramps, maybe I don't want to know!

So, two questions I guess:

1. Is this normal for an unmodified E46 320Ci? The only way to avoid it is to stop when the front wheels are atop the ramp and eeeease down the far side on the brakes.

2. What is it that's hitting the ramps? It's very solid, so it's not bodywork. Is it a ball joint or wishbone, or am I hammering my sump and working toward a monster bill for sump, oil pump etc. at my next service?

Posted here because of the wealth of knowledge and the fact the 3 series technical board seems to move slower than an asthmatic tortoise.

Edited by milltown
'02 320Ci Auto
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic