Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked335i test drive

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 335i test drive
    Posted: 28-November-2006 at 14:04
hi lads, just back from duffers after testing the new 335i... i was very impressed with its power and comfort, i truely love it!! had to fight with myself not to order one.. i must sell mine before i can consider buying a 335.... obviously it is not an M3 but its damn close in my oponion.. i was thinking of a newer M3 , maybe 03/04 but it would be the same as mine only newer... the 335i is more appealing to me now as it grows on me the more i see it!! anyone else with oponions on this car please post!!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Sponsored Links

Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 14:45
I would stick with the M Luke, it's got 4 exhausts, that wins every argument! Does the 335 engine sound as good as the M3? I know it has more torque but the M3 powerplant didn't win engine of the year 42 times in a row for no reason! What kind of part ex are you getting for you M3?
past-01 318ci auto, '01 318ci
present-'04 325ci sport
future-no house and a 5 car garage
BM Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BM Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 15:05
Sometimes a change can be good - nothing to stop you getting the new V8 M3 when she has been out a year or so.

So was it a GT tourer kinda feel as opposed to a sports car like the M3. I  suppose if its just the GT feel then an argument could be made for a 335d auto as it would be quick, comfy and a little cheaper to run.  What was the turbo lag like or was there any?

Its interesting that you say the performance is close to M3. but I think thats just the normal evolution of design. Its possible a similar comparison when you look at the E46 330i and the E36 M3
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 15:14
Originally posted by Daveco Daveco wrote:

I know it has more torque but the M3 powerplant didn't win engine of the year 42 times in a row for no reason!

It only won the Engine of the year in one year. It won the 3L-4L class 6 years in a row.
Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 15:26
I was joking Kin! BM Fan makes a very good point though comparing the E46 330 to the E36 M3. The 330 is more refined, a bit slower, but a newer car against the E36 M3, which is raw engineering. They've done exactly the same this time around with the 335 ane E46 M3. 
present-'04 325ci sport
.: KK 328Ci :. View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote .: KK 328Ci :. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 15:35

I would deffo go with the 335.

There will be so many little improvments beneath the surface that it will be a better car overall.  From what I've read from some US owners the stock performance is as good as the E46 M3, so with a lil tuning.... 

Also I like the looks, its clean and modern

- M3 mirrors - lip spolier - 3M tints - JL 500/1 & 300/2 - JL XR-650CSi comps. - Alpine 9835R - Sealed 10" JL W7 -
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 16:06
Originally posted by Daveco Daveco wrote:

I was joking Kin! BM Fan makes a very good point though comparing the E46 330 to the E36 M3. The 330 is more refined, a bit slower, but a newer car against the E36 M3, which is raw engineering. They've done exactly the same this time around with the 335 ane E46 M3. 

Well I was guessing that when you said it won 42 times. I just wanted to give the facts
Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 16:10
Originally posted by .: KK 328Ci :. .: KK 328Ci :. wrote:

From what I've read from some US owners the stock performance is as good as the E46 M3, so with a lil tuning.... 

According to Autocar's test figures it's slower. Although I do agree with your points on how clean it looks and there are probably a rake of improvements everywhere else, but the E46 M3 is a modern classic. When the new coupe inevitably starts clogging up our roads like the E46 coupe has (I'm partly to blame for this!), I think opinions will change. I remember how good the E60 5 series M-Sport kit looked until just about every 5 had it. IMO the M3 wins it hands down
present-'04 325ci sport
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 16:11

Heres a review I posted on another site but basically I went in with high expectations and came out rather underwhelmed.  It feels like more of a V8 GT which is fine if thats what you want, but I just think they look very bland!!  Since I wrote the review I like it even less; I think its one of their sloppiest designs in ages; its like in an effort to appease the bangle critics they decided to take the front from an E60, merge it with the side of an E90 and just round out the back in god knows what manner.  I can't put my finger on it, but it just looks missing something to me.  Which is a shame because the fundamentals are so good, although it doesn't feel as fast as I know it is on paper.

------------------------------------------------------------ -----

So I went to Joe Duffy's on Saturday to take a look at the new 335i and see if it tickled my fancy at all. I had already had a good look around the cars on the Nurburgring trip and had a fair idea of the performance, but theres nothing like driving one yourself. One of the great things about owning an E46 M3 is that it gives you test drive credibility There is virtually nothing they won't let you test drive.

Anyway, Joe Duffys have a 335i in Sapphire Black Met, with the 19" wheels, beige leather, and the dark grey poplar wood trim & professional nav which is pretty close to the spec I would order if I wanted one of the cars.

Looks
The car looks good in Black but IMO is by no means a fully resolved design. It really is lacking in something. From the front it looks exactly like an E60 and I think if you saw one in your rear view mirror you would be hard pressed to tell them apart. There is something about the rear that I can't put my finger on that doesn't do it for me. The 19" wheels suit it, because the arches are enormous. 20" wheels will not look wrong on the car. I think it will look great once the M pack comes out........just as it transformed the E60. I think that once the side skirts are concave rather than convex (have I got that the wrong way around ) it will look super. Also the aero kit on the accessories brochure look much better than the standard car. Its also noticeable that the 335i comes 20mm lower as standard compared to the lesser models in the range.

Interior
A nice place to be. Period. The light coloured leathers really suit the E90 style interior IMO and the flat dash makes a lot more sense when the nav screen is there. Seats are comfortable and all told, the cabin felt nice and airy and a place you could spend a lot of time in. The seat belt holders (the arm that hands it to you) didn't work when we got into the car, and I have heard already that they are very flimsy and causing problems. Not sure if Joe Duffy had disabled them on purpose. No real complaints here except the ones I would apply to all modern BMW's. i.e. the Idrive is a bad interface and poorly executed. I am sure you could get used to it but when you see what can be accomplished so easily with touch screen lcd's these days you realise what a wasted opportunity it is. My garmin nuvi has a far better interface than the iDrive and is much easier to use. The start button is also a bit pointless in the context of a car without comfort access and smacks of typical BMW stingyness.

Performance
The car was an auto which really suits the diesel-like torque of the car. Its incredibly smooth, and the car will be a fantastic mile muncher. Interestingly however, it just didn't feel as fast as I expected it to and I gave it foot-to-the-floor welly a number of times. I know what the numbers say but it doesn't feel as fast as my own car. Maybe its the refinement (it is lovely and smooth with no hint of the turbos) and the muted engine note inside the cabin but it really didn't excite me that much. This truly is a Junior GT rather than a sports coupe IMO.

The big disappointment here was the paddle shift system. You pull either paddle to change up, but annoyingly you push either paddle (with these thumb buttons) to change down. It just didnt feel as intuitive as most smg/f1/dsg systems where you tug one paddle to change up and tug the other to change down. The gear shifts are really quick for an auto, but why they ditched the paddle shift system from the SMG is beyond me. I found myself in the wrong gear several times although thats not too major a problem considering the low down torque of the car, but irritating nonetheless. I guess you would get used to it.

Ride
I had heard really bad things about the runflats before I tried this but even on 19" wheels I felt the ride was excellent. Obviously its a liitle on the firm side but its a BMW not a mercedes and nothing to worry about. Its not as stiff as an E46 M3 for example.

Handling
No complaints here. I got the chance to throw it around a few roundabouts and the turn in is extremely sharp, grip is excellent and the steering is very direct. The game has definitely moved on from the E46 coupe. Obviously it was raining so I didn't get the chance to find the limits but I don't think you will find a finer car in this price range for handling.

Overall
I was very impressed with the car but almost gladly, I was happy getting back into my M3. I went to the test drive expecting to really want one of these cars, but came away with respect for it rather than a desire to own one. It is handsome, has great performance and is very comfortable inside. I would wait for the M pack before considering it though and altogether came away looking forward to the M3 version rather than feeling like running home for the cheque book.
BM Fan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BM Fan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 21:45
Good review Mick.  I have yet to have a good look around one myself in the flesh.  I did see one from behind in red at a first glance I thought it was a Hyundai Sonata - whatever way the rear lights looked and the colour (red). 
Martin
In BMW exile at the moment (Shame on me for lurking!!!)
Previous Models
2001 E39 520i Auto
1996 E36 M3 Evo Individual
1996 E36 328i Coupe
1997 E36 318i Conv
1992 E36 316i Sln

GusK View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GusK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 21:49

I agree with Mick, I had a go of the 335i a couple of weeks ago and even though it was an auto, the car felt almost E46 M3 fast. It looks smart, rides well and I reckon it would be a comfy place to be munching miles. And when the M-Pack is launched it'll only get better.

In fact I was so impressed, I gave serious consideration to doing the deal offered to me on part-ex for my car. Turns out that there's not that many 330d's around, and M&G had someone in mind for my car.

There were only two things that stopped me doing the deal:

-The E90/E92 335d

-The E90/E92 M3

I've come to love the low down grunt of the diesel engine and having done nearly 30,000 kms in the last 6 months I can only imagine what the the 335d will be like. Virtually all the go of the 335i, but with 35mpg, it's a hard car to argue against, especially if you do big milage and like a bit of performance.

And based on the 2,000 miles I did earlier in the year in an E60 M5, owning an E90 and having owned an E46 M3, I can only imagine what the new V8 M3 will be like.

I know their going to be more expensive than the 335i, but IMHO I think they'll struggle to sell new 335i's when there's secondhand 35d's and M3's knocking around in a couple of years.

Now.... how do I tell my wife that I need the cheque book to order a new  M3!!

Currently: E90 330d Sport

Previously: X5 3.0i Sport, E46 M3, E46 318ci,E30 318is.
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-November-2006 at 23:05
it was quite the opposte for me as it was for mick!! i went down to test drive the 335i with not expecting it to be as good as it was , especially getting out of an M3!! i really enjoyed the ride in the car , the grunt from the back and the effortless accelaration ! i thought the auto box was very smooth, if a little to smooth, did not get a feel of the turbos either!! i think that its time for a change and change for me is the new 335i coupe!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2006 at 12:02
Luke, wait til you test the 335d to make your decision. Just in case. Even the petrol lovin' car magazine journalists are saying the only problem facing the 335i is the 335d. However it is your decision (obviously) and I'm sure you'll be happy with whatever you buy. I kick your ass around Mondello though.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2006 at 12:05
diesel's just dont do it for me... havin said that i drove a 530 d before and i was well impressed... as for mondello... na!!! not even if i bought the 335d
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2006 at 12:40

Originally posted by lukeduke lukeduke wrote:

diesel's just dont do it for me... havin said that i drove a 530 d before and i was well impressed... as for mondello... na!!! not even if i bought the 335d

Yes the 530d's are very impressive but the twin turbo models are supposed to be ridiculously fast compared to the normal one. Anyway as I've said I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you buy. But as for Mondello,

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2006 at 13:25
ah sure ill probaly still have my E46 M3 by the time mondello is back on!! so enough said!!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2006 at 14:52
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

Originally posted by lukeduke lukeduke wrote:

Yes the 530d's are very impressive but the twin turbo models are supposed to be ridiculously fast compared to the normal one. Anyway as I've said I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever one you buy. But as for Mondello,

Alex, dont knock it till youve tried it, as they say!!!!

Anyone in an M-car expecting to p1$$ all over a 335i/d is asking for a rude awakening.  And given average levels of talent, most people will be quicker around a track with an auto vs a manual anyway.  The 335i is gonna be fast though because even if you are lazy on gearchanges, it still produces maximum torque from 1300 rpm which is insanely low.   So miss a gear out of a corner and it doesnt really matter, compared with our cars where you need to be in the right rev band.

Make no mistake, the game has moved on, and a good driver will still be faster in the M, but I reckon will have to work hard to truly distance himself from a well driven 335i.

mick

lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2006 at 15:08
well said Mick!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Gars Estoril View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gars Estoril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2006 at 16:16
I've always had diesel cars (Only ever owned 1 Petrol car) and I find driving d's give you the sense of driving a much more powerful car.

Had a lend of a '06 318i off maxwells while they tried to sort something with My car. I know the petrol has a little less performance, but I found it very boring to drive.
I also think driving a diesel is more involving with quicker gear changes needed. I would be hard pushed to buy a petrol if I could get a Diesel of the same power/performance.
Plus the fact that I managed to convince my work to give me a key to the onsite Diesel pump! (FREE DIESEL!!!)

Edited by Gars Estoril
Present:'04 Estoril Blue e46 320d
Previous: '02 Topaz Blue 320d
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-November-2006 at 18:22
@ Gars... i think ill buy the 335d so and then find out where you work!!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic