FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedDyno result with Carbon airbox

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dyno result with Carbon airbox
    Posted: 08-December-2006 at 14:38
As Uwe has infered, the removal of the standard airbox is the cause of the sound increase. This is due to the sound dampening within the standard airbox volume.

It's often refered to as a "Helmholtz resonator" , which is basically a 'air damper' in this instance and can be tuned to decrease intake noise. The volume is whats important, it works by being in tune with the oscilating sound waves produced by the combustion process.
BMW used something similar on the e34 M5 (item 17 in the below pic.)

It 'could' be possible to have a tublar take-off in between the airbox and the snorkel to a chamber similar to the one on the e34. I ONLY SUMMISE at this point however, but I think it could work.

Sponsored Links

lancelotII View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lancelotII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-December-2006 at 13:59
I think noise is the biggest issue with them. For a track day car it's a nightmare for quiet days. We got Dawie's car quieter at Donington by putting cardboard over the top of the airbox and by sealing the sides of the bonnet to wing. But this is hardly recomended....if you could make a quieter version I think it would be a seller, especially for the track day crowd.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2006 at 20:39
Originally posted by M3Nally M3Nally wrote:

Uwe, with regard to the extra noise the CF airbox makes, is this down to resonance and if so would making an airbox in thicker CF or fibreglass be quieter like for everyday use.

If no fibreglass option available, then thicker CF would be much more expensive no?

Are the gains purely down to the increased airbox volume, or down to the design improving airflow or both?

Most of the noise is come from than MASSIVE SQUARE HOLE behing the grill which is the intake snorkle.
Whatever layer thickness you do with the box, it will only make a small difference.
Regarding your other questions, I don't know. But who cares, it works

Even this was already LOUD

Edited by UweM3
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2006 at 19:44
Uwe, with regard to the extra noise the CF airbox makes, is this down to resonance and if so would making an airbox in thicker CF or fibreglass be quieter like for everyday use.

If no fibreglass option available, then thicker CF would be much more expensive no?

Are the gains purely down to the increased airbox volume, or down to the design improving airflow or both?
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
paddym3 View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote paddym3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-December-2006 at 18:02
how much for the carbon unit and how many differernt types are there as there is a few different kits for it?

Edited by paddym3
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2006 at 18:54
Originally posted by SHEPSM3 SHEPSM3 wrote:

Uwe, thats great results

I made a huge difference. I could really see the difference when coming on homestraight in Brands on Thursday where non airbox M3's just ran out of puff in higher speeds compared to mine.
SHEPSM3 View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
UK Sport Evolution.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SHEPSM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-December-2006 at 17:03
Uwe, thats great results
[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1a1.jpg">[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y135/ShepsM3/New-1b1.jpg">
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 19:37
Originally posted by Hoover Hoover wrote:

i can see those are wise words

what about the carbon plenum though and airbox, that must have some benefit on its own?

Not without changing the engine management. By fitting a carbon airbox you delete the AFM.
Hoover View Drop Down
black beast with four legs

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 19:18

i can see those are wise words

what about the carbon plenum though and airbox, that must have some benefit on its own?

Edited by Hoover
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 19:13

Mmmm..

youre getting me going now uwe, can't stop spannering as it is..where to start...

I can tell you where to start. Build up a savings account first and do it when you have th efunds to do it all in one hit. Will be cheaper than adding bits at a time.
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 18:50

Mmmm..

youre getting me going now uwe, can't stop spannering as it is..where to start...

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 18:43

appart from the carbon air box Uwe what else had you changed to get that, re map? head work?

I have a MAXX Alpha-N piggy back computer to do the fuel map myself. Click for MAXX
2.5 ltr EVO block with stock pistons and 290/290 KK cams. 215bhp head portmatched. stock 195/215 header,
DIY decat stock exhaust (it looks really wild made from 2 centre sections ) and a Eisenmann back box. 48mm throttles, Volvo injectors, stock fuel pressure, EVO3 valve springs, EVO3 oil pump.
But that's it.
Hoover View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoover Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 18:27
appart from the carbon air box Uwe what else had you changed to get that, re map? head work?
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 09:41
Originally posted by 215m3 215m3 wrote:

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Originally posted by jon90 jon90 wrote:

20bhp MORE at the wheels doesn't need a comment, doesn't it?

Jon

I felt it straight away when I went out for the first time, but thought that's down to the noise.
But it really pulls much better to the limiter.

Your making me have second thoughts..........

Naa bring on the GT3076R!!!!

your head on my engine, some high CR pistons, a proper exhaust some more ignition mapping and I am sure we will see 230 at the wheels......told you
215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-November-2006 at 09:10

Jon

I felt it straight away when I went out for the first time, but thought that's down to the noise.

Your making me have second thoughts..........

Naa bring on the GT3076R!!!!
Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 22:54

Jon

jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 20:43

Jon
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 11:16

no need to buy at s14 shop. You can get the airbox direct from Markus. PM me for details.

They are not one and the same ?
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 09:13
no need to buy at s14 shop. You can get the airbox direct from Markus. PM me for details.
BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-November-2006 at 08:35
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic