Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum Locked"i want presiez" said e46

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gstonesE4620i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "i want presiez" said e46
    Posted: 21-November-2006 at 13:17

chrimbo is on the way and i want to spend about a grand on the car. E46 1991cc with no mods at the minute. it can be spent in one go or on a few things and no i dont want a respray.

acceleration and handeling are more important than looks but all ideas welcome.  

what do you mean it was unexpected, you should have expected it!
Sponsored Links

topazman View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 13:25
Mirrors, Wheels, shortshift kit, polishing equipment etc the list goes on any pic of your car and the lads here might have a few other ideas
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 13:29
Wheels. Eisenmann exhaust. Dave F Induction Kit.  
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Bisto View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bisto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 13:30
If its acceleration and handling your after then maybe you should go for a remap,full Induction kit and a strut brace.Should maybe cost about 8 to 900 depends where you get the remap done.If you want an indication of power gains check out autoremap.com
E36 323i M-tec
Kin Mak View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kin Mak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 13:32
Short shift kit if it's a manual.
Lowering springs(coilovers better but might not be in budget).
Anti Roll Bars

Not much you can do with acceleration, maybe an intake will give you some noise that will make you think you are going faster and an exhaust.

If you have a sports kit already M mirrors will be nice.

Angel eyes.

Alloys, 18" will do nicely but again will use up your whole budget.

As Niall says, no use to have a nice car when it is not clean and piloshed so have that sorted first. My car looks like a piece of dung beside Nialls as his is always so clean and I look like a farmer.
Fey! View Drop Down
Funs over, Scotty; beam down my clothes!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fey! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 13:42

Lowering springs (€250-€350) from Richie. 

M3 Mirrors from (€250-€350) Richie.

Strut Brace c.€350 (I got mine as a group buy).

Short Shifter (€300-€400) from Robbie Bradford. 

Remap (€250-€350) from AutoRemap.

Polishes (whatever you want to spend) from Topazman.

Prices are all "in or around"!!!

gstonesE4620i View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gstonesE4620i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 13:57

drive a dirty car !!! not me. took it for the day yesterday and cleaned in once in the morning and once before i got home. some might think i'm sick but hey why not. pics are on the website i f you want a look, under e46302i  made mistake when filling in details.

the exhaust is interesting coz i was thinking of just getting the mid box for the minute but depending on the cost the whole thing would make sense. what would be a good price and from where.

new manifold 4-1 would be nice and would take most of budget but i would still like to find out if anyone here has changed from stock.

springs and shocks are going to cost about €400 not fitted i'd say. strut brace about €150 and any mug can fit it.

what is the story with dave-f induction kit ?  dont want the noise every day so i would prob only put on when wanted.

jenn asked about round mirrors she had seen on a later model and if they would fit but i dont know, any ideas ?

ecu would take most of budget and i would prob want to get all others bone before i do it.

keep it comming lads

lesurely View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lesurely Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 14:15
A set of furry dice
e30 325is (deceased)
e36 318is under major construction
E39 530D Sport mtec (all the bells and whistles )

Basic unit of laryngitis: 1 hoarsepower
lesurely
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 14:23

It seems pretty accurate above, it would want to be some remap to cost a grand! And they dont actually change the ecu either its software is just changed..

Lowering springs can be got pretty much everywhere for around the 200-250 mark depending on car/quality.. your going to be paying a lot more for shocks that are worth fitting.

If its handling you want which i think is best to spend money on then either try and get a shock/spring kit or strut braces and arb's but i doubt you'll get all of that for a grand so may have to pick and choose,

As for performance, i have heard the e46 petrols dont take well to remapping so its a bit of a waste, davef is a lad on bmw-driver.net i think that makes his own induction kits, reputed to be quite good. Due to the nature of the car i.e its NA any performance mods wont really give a huge gain and will be costly so hence if it were my money id be making it handle better as youd get better gains for buck so to speak but horses for courses..

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 14:28
Don't bother with an engine remap or induction kit, both make little or no difference. I had them on my 318 and it was ridiculous. The noise from the k & n induction kit would be ear bleedingly loud while starlet glanzas would cruise past with relative ease. You said performance is the main issue then aesthetics-What about getting an older e46 with a higher displacement? A 325/328 with an engine re-map should keep you happy performance wise, it did for me! 
past-01 318ci auto, '01 318ci
present-'04 325ci sport
future-no house and a 5 car garage
topazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 14:28

Click to view full size image

Nice car a set of clear lenses and then rims would be my choice

Edited by topazman
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 14:36
Sorry for some reason i thought it was a later model, seen as its an early model id be going with niall here and putting a set of 18's on and clear lenses, would be worth lowering it to if you can stretch to it but depends on what size wheels you fit,
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 14:40

The round mirrors are from the M3. Richie (Irish Auto Styling) could sort you out with a set as well as clear lenses. He used to have an e46. You want to have seen it. Stunning.

Looking at your car the first thing it needs are wheels. And I'd lower it on Eibach Pro Kit springs too.

Edited by flyingalexf68
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
lukeduke View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 16:32
Wheel's and clear indicators!!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
///M3Mick View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ///M3Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 16:53

Wheels first definitely.  Not sure if I would bother with springs tbh.  Some nice 17" or 18" wheels will give the visual impression that the arches are more filled, even without the springs.

My last car was a 2.0 and tbh I felt the factory chassis was suitably sorted for the power it had.

Clear lenses next would make the largest visual impression other than the wheels.

Mick

gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 18:42

Originally posted by lesurely lesurely wrote:

A set of furry dice

Don't forget the nodding head dog

Other suggestions

Stainless steel look exhaust using fittings from bathroom centre 

Those little blue light thingies at the screen washers complementing the neon glow under the car.

Roller brush and paint (see earlier thread)

And then the cheapest bit put a video up on YouTube

Edited by gjoconnor92
Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
Robbie Bradford View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robbie Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-November-2006 at 18:51

Wheels and lenses are the obivous choices and will have a big visual impact, can't stand nasty orange indicators myself.

I can offer you the www.uucmotowerks.com short shift kit, as metioned above. I also do some different style Gearknobs to add a bit of style to the interior.

Click on the signature link below for details, pics and prices.

Edited by Robbie Bradford
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gstonesE4620i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2006 at 11:19
Originally posted by gjoconnor92 gjoconnor92 wrote:

Originally posted by lesurely lesurely wrote:

A set of furry dice

Don't forget the nodding head dog

Other suggestions

Stainless steel look exhaust using fittings from bathroom centre 

Those little blue light thingies at the screen washers complementing the neon glow under the car.

Roller brush and paint (see earlier thread)

And then the cheapest bit put a video up on YouTube

getting turned on at the thought. might get some second hand doors that are a different colour and a big unpainted spoiler.

on a more serious not robbie cant get through to the web-site. how much is the shifter kit?    open to offers now who wants to sell me clear lenses for the front only dont want lexus rears. was offered 18" wheels including rubber for €800 but because its a daily driver dont want to go too low profile. who has a  happy medium on their motor.

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2006 at 11:26
Get clear indicators on the back as well. They won't look like Lexus lights at all. Make sure to get the silver indicator bulbs to stop the fried egg look. I'd go for 18" MV2 replica wheels and just avoid the potholes. Just make sure you buy proper tyres and NOT the rubbish that will come with wheel and tyre packages.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gstonesE4620i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-November-2006 at 18:09

will the clear lenses match the lights on the car ie the black suround in the pic  or will i need to get a new set of angel eyes as well?

could i make some cash by selling the old rims and tyres any where?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic