Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTime for a new car

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Time for a new car
    Posted: 17-November-2006 at 20:38
Good evening,

After 4 odd months of not having an M3, 3 of which have been spent mooching around the South of France, I have to buy a car.

Things haven't changed since I was asking questions prior to the sale of the E30! I still want a non Evo E36 but if anyone has any advice or a link to the Total BMW buyers guide (I couldn't get it to work) or any others it would be greatly appreciated.

I've heard that the rear suspension bushes go? are there any other bits like this that are worth double checking?

Many thanks in advance, and Uwe, you were right, I do miss it.

Cheers,

Phil
Sponsored Links

BMG M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMG M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2006 at 20:46
Link to the Evo buyers guide works for me http://www.totalbmwmag.com/Buying/BuyingJan02.pdf

Looking at the price of non-evo cars on Pistonheads.com, I can see why you'd want one.

Good luck
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2006 at 21:01
Hmmm, thanks,

Maybe I was just being impatient for it to download.

They are a rather tempting bargain. You would be hard pushed to get more for less.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2006 at 21:03
Originally posted by Phil-C Phil-C wrote:

Hmmm, thanks,

Maybe I was just being impatient for it to download.

They are a rather tempting bargain. You would be hard pushed to get more for less.

Phil don't forget 30th Nov Brands! Dust your crash helmet...
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2006 at 21:13
Not forgotten Uwe and hopefully may have a car too!

steeldonkey View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steeldonkey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-November-2006 at 23:05

hello

I bought a cheap e36 3.0, so many hing to look for so little time to type...

front subframe.....engine mounts pull free(mine had)

see if the air pump has been disonected maybe noisy

check for shim adj at inspec 2 can be pricy

shockers....diff carrier, rear trailing arm bushes, inner ball joints drop links

rattly vanos, esp from idl to 2k and on warm start....not a huge issue as normally fine anyway and only £350 for second hand one but good bargaining point.

rusty rear arches, dodgy top mounts both front and rear, leaking constant pressure valve common problem looks bad but cheap to fix.

i could go on and on but the above should be plenty.

best of luck!

The //M3 fault rectification Manual
The hammer will fit it
The hammer will fix it
The hammer will make aftermarket parts fit
The hammer is my tool kit
RESPECT THE HAMMER
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-November-2006 at 11:40
Thanks Steeldonkey, I shall bear those well and truely in mind.
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2007 at 19:04
Hello all. Well I finally bought a new car but I have left the path of the blue and white badge.

I'm happy to say I bought a Nissan.

lyndonbuck View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyndonbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2007 at 19:24
Is that a Micra?
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2007 at 19:31
thepits View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thepits Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-March-2007 at 20:34

Originally posted by lyndonbuck lyndonbuck wrote:

Is that a Micra?

looks like a cheap Japanese imitation of another German car to me

Edited by thepits
Cats know your every thought.

But don't care.
lyndonbuck View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lyndonbuck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2007 at 10:58
Sorry, couldn't resist it, they are supposed to be really good, I had 2 old
Supras and they were great, but a bit of a chest wig chariot.
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2007 at 12:26
Nice car. Definately a good choice
Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2007 at 12:35
I had the pleasure of a passenger right the other night and I was WELL IMPRESSED! Sounds greats and it was holding the road really well. I am wearing BMW googles, but if you just forget a second about that and have an unbiased look at the car, I think it is very good. At least it doesn't share the platform with another brand as so many other cars do nowadays. And it can't be mistaken for a Toyota like the E46 did when it came out....

pittsy, imitation or not, but it will not have a rattly vanos and the price for servicing and warranty would even be affordable for you
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Hoofty View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoofty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2007 at 14:17

Sorry Uwe, it shares its platform with an Infiniti...

The Z's a lot of fun, a little heavy and brutal, but great fun to muck about with. Bit like Jet from Gladiators, I imagine. Good set of lungs, too.

Can't tell from the pic if it's a new model or not - if not, I'd consider ditching the Bridgestones when they wear out. Go for either michelins or whatever they're putting on the new models these days. The old bridgestones are a tad too stiff. Also consider swapping out the exhaust headers if you're going to modify it.

'89 E30 M3
'99 106 GTi
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2007 at 14:25

Nice, they're supposed to be a good drive............. lack a little badge kudos to some, but each to their own.

Good luck 

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
Phil-C View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Ex E30 M3 owner...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil-C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2007 at 17:07
Originally posted by Sporty1 Sporty1 wrote:

Nice, they're supposed to be a good drive............. lack a little badge kudos to some, but each to their own.

Good luck 

I bought a car not a badge.
Agreed on the tyres they are pretty noisy and will get swapped at the first chance. But it will be staying standard in every other respect.

I was genuinely going to buy an E46 but £1500 for a major service against £400?
£450 insurance against £900?
Performance is hardly leagues apart and the value of it isn't about to get shafted in November. I don't need four seats so it was a no brainer.
I'm not out to get mugged every time something goes wrong, which in the HIGHLY unlikely event it does the 3 year warrenty for 500 quid will cover.

I loved my old M3 but that's what it was, an old car. I need something that can be ragged around a track on a sunday then driven 350 miles to a meeting without batting an eyelid or needing new brakes.

I'm really pleased with it, so much so that I think I'm turning Japanese.

Edited by Phil-C
Darren M View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darren M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2007 at 17:54
Despite only ever owning BMW`s and being a fan of old (80`s BMWs especially), the test drive that I had today was of a Honda S2000. Not sure if the deal is complete until tomorrow though as I made an offer and then raised it slightly but I walked away leaving it for them to decide.

I like the 1 series, and the Z4 and E46 M3 and was tempted by one of these. I`m out to replace my E46 BMW 320td with something E30 M3 like and for me the Honda S2000 fills my requirements and can be driven on track and be driven to work the next day. Shame about the lack of roof though but the one I have tested has a hard top.

I must admit that part of me is tempted by a 1 series or Z4     and I still have and will be keeping the E30 M3.

The honda has 3yr 90k mile warranty and 150-£300 services.

Edited by Darren M
Sporty1 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sporty1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-March-2007 at 18:08

Quote Phil-C:

"Edited by Phil-C on 25-March-2007 at 17:50"

Well edited....... say no more, like I said "supposed to be a good drive"

Enjoy you new car.

Sport Evolution Schwarz #043
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic