Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedVW Golf Gti.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: VW Golf Gti.
    Posted: 09-November-2006 at 11:36

Hi guys, I know this is a BMW site but I also know there is mucho knowlodge on here about cars in General.

I am looking at a 03 Golf Gti for the missus. Its the 150bhp model. 5dr 35K mls.

Is there anything to look out for on these? Any info would be much appreciated.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
Sponsored Links

Daveco View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daveco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 11:53
Mick, have a look at parkers.co.uk-The owner reviews section specifically. There are quite a few reviews from owners, stating common faults they might have had with the car. I was interested in the 180hp version myself a while back, let us know how you get on.
past-01 318ci auto, '01 318ci
present-'04 325ci sport
future-no house and a 5 car garage
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 12:09

Mick, take a look in the GTi forums on www.tyresmoke.net - its an absolute mine of information on everything GTi related.

You may find a number of people try to put you off too though, because that model is generally accepted to be the poorest GTi they ever made - but they'll certainly give you all the advice you need.

Now with FREE HPI CHECK and FREE GLASSES GUIDE VALUATIONS for all members!

T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 12:30

I thought the MkIII 8v was the poorest?  

Yer man in Mondello has a MkIV GTi so they can't be úber-crap as a day-to-day ownership proposition.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Don520 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 12:33
Coil failure was a big issue, most would have failed
and been replaced by now. Look for evidence of
water leaks in boot, water line to rear wash/wipe can
freezes and rupture. Obviously timing belt
dependent on mileage and age, water pumps and
pulley can fail at 30K, also read up on the Turbo
issues.

Happy hunting!
95 520iSE Auto (sadly missed)
DanM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 14:15

I had a 01 GTI 150bhp and the coils went on it after only 40k. The same also happened a friend of mine's GTI after similiar miles.

Try to get one with the Recaro seats as many of the GTI's have 'sports' seats but they're not actually Recaro's.  The Recaro's have the name embroidered on them. Also with used car market in slump you shouldnt have to pay much of a premium for a leather interior. (which I had).

Best of Luck. 

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 15:25

The problem with the MkIV GTI is well known - they're slllloooow to a degree that its difficult to comprehend for a GTi.

I don't know why the MKIII GTI 8v is being referred to as perhaps one of the worst mind you - because they were a fantastic car, are the most sought after (after the MkI) and the 8v was the better engine in manys opinion.

T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 15:46

I thought the MkIII Gti 8v wasn't even called a GTi in (mainland!) europe - only the UK for marketing reasons.

And I'm no GTi scholar so please set me straight if I'm wrong, but wouldn't a Mk II 8v be way more popular than the III, which was considered a bit soft and flabby?

A MkIV had 150bhp.. did they do a lower tune one?

Edited by T.J.
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 16:04
My mistake TJ - I was referring to the last facelifted MkII, not the MkIII.

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 17:24

Coasting the 1.8 Turbo Mk IV Golf was pretty quick. But in the UK you could have the 2.0 engine in a GTI which was crap. (about 118bhp I think) We didn't have that one here.

Mick, buy the 150bhp GT TDi Golf. Incredible car. All the GTI bits (Recaro's, 6 speed, climate, sunroof, etc etc) but with way more torque and 50mpg easy. And you can chip it to 180bhp.  

1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Coasting View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
www.TOTALTORQUE.net

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coasting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 17:46
Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

Coasting the 1.8 Turbo Mk IV Golf was pretty quick. But in the UK you could have the 2.0 engine in a GTI which was crap. (about 118bhp I think) We didn't have that one here.

See thats my point - I don't think it was remotely quick.  Not for what was meant to be a hot hatch.  Pretty much everything else that was available at the time....beat it....resoundingly.

When you look at the stats its not surprising.

It developed 148bhp (often quoted as 150bhp) but that was married to its fat 1,203 kgs in bodyweight!  That was for the 3 door version too.  That gave it 123bhp per ton.  The 5 door version went down to 119bhp per ton.

That gave it 0-60 times claimed of 7.9s - yet if you look at roadtests you'll find they had to be very special conditions to get anywhere near it.  Most places were quoting 8.2-8.5s. 

Thats not slow, I know, but its not really hot hatch stuff either is it?

The reason I say all this is that I know a lot of people who own MkV GTi's, or R32's, and many have had Golfs for over 10 years.  They all say the same - when they bought the MkIV GTi...they were gutted.  Once you got into gear and on motorways, the car could be tailed by pretty much any average 1.8 family saloon you could think of.  Many of them report a whole host of 'embarassing' attempts to pull away from cars - and not getting far!  An example is any 2.0 petrol Mondeo of the day - which would happily sit with a GTi all day long. 

The new GTi is a world apart of course, as is the new R32 (although the MkIV R32 was a superb car anyway).  Quick, nimble, very torquey and rightly very popular.

So if it was me, which its not, but if it was, I'd be buying an older MkII in pristine condition, or waiting a while longer and buying the best Golf GTi ever made - the new one.

Gars Estoril View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gars Estoril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 19:12
My Brother had a '00 GTI Mark IV 1.8t 150bhp and he wreckoned that the MAF sensors are the one thing that needs to be replaced. Even the TDI's have the same problem.

If you can find a 180bhp version they are far better and they have the engine out of the Audi TT.(I Think)

Another small thing to look out for are the air bag light on! It will need to be reset by VW.

Other than that they're a good reliable car as VW's have always been!
Present:'04 Estoril Blue e46 320d
Previous: '02 Topaz Blue 320d
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-November-2006 at 20:56
VAG's 1.8 T engine of the era is always pretty much the same engine with the wick on the turbo set differently, so a 150bhp Mk4 golf will have a similar engine to a TT.

It's this 1.8 T engine that had the ignition coil problem.

The 2.0 8v engine is what's to be found in most 115bhp 'GTI's, and unlike you lot I think it's a nice car... ;) but I'd definitely agree it's no hot hatch, it's just a 2.0 golf with decent seats.

There is also a 1.8 golf GTI with a 20v engine (I think) that predated the 2.0 model, also developing something weedy like 110bhp.

I'd warn people to look for dodgy dashboard electronics - lambda probe warning lights going off for no reason, etc. and as someone's already said MAF issues on any of these cars.

Additionally, check the rear wash-wipe. It's badly designed and can easily decide to wash the inside of the bootlid skins instead of the rear window.

By all accounts it's the GT TDI that's the one to go for, in either 130 or 150bhp form, but it'll cost compared to any petrol model.
US M3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote US M3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2006 at 00:54

Try www.vagdrivers.net its the ultimate Irish VAG community.

MAF, Gearbox and Coil packs on the 1.8T were the only main problems, just check the sump on them aswell they get bashed as they are so low down.

You should try out the Mk4 Golf (Pump Duse 150) GTI Diesel 150bhp, I had a 2003 for 3 years put up 100k miles on it and had no problems except a new turbo intercooler my fault, herself let it run out of oil after hitting the sump, and towards the end the gearbox went on it.

My 2003 VW GOLF PD150 was putting out 172.5bhp/299.1lb ft when I put it up on the rollers in Westward and it was bog standard no tuning box or chip or even a air filter.

As TJ said earlier your man in Mondello has one, well thats my brother in law and his is a 2001 1.8T and he has never had one problem except for the coil pack which were done under warranty, although the PD150 is faster than the 1.8T and you get the serious economy even when you drive it hard.

Edited by US M3
1990 E30 M3 (US MODEL)

2008 BMW 520D M SPORT
Peter Fenwick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Fenwick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2006 at 08:49
Originally posted by Coasting Coasting wrote:

[QUOTE=flyingalexf68]

So if it was me, which its not, but if it was, I'd be buying an older MkII in pristine condition, or waiting a while longer and buying the best Golf GTi ever made - the new one.

Surely the best Golf GTi ever was the Mk2 16V

Entering an age of Austerity and now driving a Focus Diesel.
Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2006 at 09:04

Thanks for the imput.

Well its on the drive. Bogo 150BHP 03 silver 1 owner and original.

Not paid for it yet but its going to be cheap.

I drove it yesterday and its plenty powerfull for the missus. Nice little whistle from turbo. (is that a problem?)

No recaro seats, just sport jobbies. No Aircon. Typical VW no extras....

Its better than her Mazda.... Now I have a choice at the weekend..

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
fozzymandeus View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fozzymandeus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2006 at 10:05
It's when the whistling stops you should worry!

Look closely at the wash-wipe and the electric window mechanisms. A friend has a Mk4 golf and his info from the forums is that these are weak points. (I feel he's an electric window kindred spirit what with me having an e36 with frameless windows!!)

Good luck with it!
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2006 at 11:31
Nice one Mick - Positive action!
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Ravenelli69 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ravenelli69 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2006 at 14:33
[QUOTE=DanM]

I had a 01 GTI 150bhp and the coils went on it after only 40k. The same also happened a friend of mine's GTI after similiar miles.

Same thing with my 01, coils went three times which drove me bananas!  Its a extremely common problem on that model

Geoff

Mick525i View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mick525i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-November-2006 at 19:38
Originally posted by Ravenelli69 Ravenelli69 wrote:

[QUOTE=DanM]

Same thing with my 01, coils went three times which drove me bananas!  Its a extremely common problem on that model

Geoff

Its common on most BMWs too.

Mick

Cheers
Mick

BMW E21 318 1980
BMW E39 525i 2002 MTech
VW Golf Gti 2003
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic