Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOff topic - MTBs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 14:49

wow this is a great thread, sorru I brought such a morbid twist to it. Mcroy was my hero he thought me loads, the nicest guy ever

Football ruined my knees, I sound like a grandad I'm only 30 so cycling is done at a very slow pace these days

I still have my Karakorum, which was updated with loads of stuff, just like my car now huh

Mint Sauce ruled....

http://homepage.mac.com/pfellows1/thisiswhy/strips.html

How many times did you spec up a bike from scratch from one of the uk builders??

Edited by green-blood
Sponsored Links

T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 15:12
Never! My knees are a bit shot too, so I went to hillwalking, and have done some decent trips to Africa & the Caucasas, Scottish winter climbing etc. But my knees left me down more there, so back on the bikes and no probs! I think riding with spuds from an early age with little float didn't do me any favours. I ride clipless now and love it.
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
green-blood View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 15:20
yeah me too, big narly platforms...
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 15:22
How are your shins?
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 18:19
Cool, Mint Sauce clips.. I still have my stickers.

I remember my Karakorum Elite, t'was a lovely blue colour, full XT inc. thumbies (hated grip shift and rapid fire jobbies). My Pro-Flex has full XT, got rid of gripshift when I bought it second hand - replaced with XT thumbies straight away. Had a flex stem (bright green, same as swingarm) got rid of that for a Ritchey Alu stem and put Trek DS-2 air/oil shocks on. uprated the elastomer form a naff rock hard thing to a newer yellow jobie - made a big difference. Worse thing was the craze for polished aluminium frames.. Out came the Nitromors!! stripped the frame to the bear metal, found flipping filler round where the frame is squashed to allow for the swingarm.. was done at the factory as well!! That did it for me.. Got XT clipless pedals (spuds lol) with origional Shimano bowling shoes.

Have thought about getting a hardtail frame and swopping all the bits over. Kleins were the stuff you drooled over, Kona's were common as er.. Kona's. Cannondales looked nice with their quirky front sussies. Always fancied a Pace RC200 with the sqaure tubes. Lad from the local bike shop had a Slingshot - wierd or what - where do you put the crudcatcher?

by, this brings back memories
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 18:27

I spent 2 weeks with 3m pads sanding my brand new XT Rapidfire Plus combined brake & gear shifters down to bare alloy. They were gorgeous!

gripshift were alright but took careful setup. Some has issues with them slipping, but that never happened to me. I've a brand new set of Deore DX thumbies on the Allsop. Yum.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 18:33
Aye, DX, the GT was full DX - till I upgraded it a bit at a time to XT before it got nicked .
Anyone read all the little bits between the Mint pics? (just been taking a trip down memory lane reading them.)
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
touring paddy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote touring paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 13:23

good stuff guys , funny how many people did it at some point or another , TJ im pretty sure i raced against you a few times , went to Corrin Wood in Fermoy a good bit , was with Mad those days.

Lads you really should try to get back into it, clubs like mad and Epic are good , plus the bikes out there are really impressive ....

Have one of these arriving next week , great bikes

http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/etsx/etsx-50.aspx

T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-October-2006 at 14:41

Veeeeerrrry nice, touring!

Was looking @ a Rocky Mountain Slayer over in Boston last month. $2,700. You could nearly replace the $ with stg.... Some good trails over there, and my wifes cousins husband (phew) does alot of the Norba stuff, so I might take a few days over on the trails, buy something tasty, and then bring it back.

But 1st, I best get back on my 'Dale!

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic