Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedOff topic - MTBs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote touring paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Off topic - MTBs
    Posted: 25-October-2006 at 12:47

Sorry guys but just thought you might like to see this -these are two mountainbike gods - one being the current downhill world champ , bith did a tour around last week ,  check out the picks towards the end -impressive stuff

http://www.d1010871.domain.com/applications/Nucleus/COMMUNIT Y.php?itemid=161

Sponsored Links

denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Whats this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 12:56
Wow, great shots... that Steve Peat is a nutter.

You into mountain biking touring paddy?
green-blood View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote green-blood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 13:40

he's not and never could be anywhere near Jason McRoy. Whada guy he was.

I was big into mountain bikes as a teenager, McRoy was the king. he thought me how to "berm"

he died on my birthday!!!

Edited by green-blood
touring paddy View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote touring paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 14:21

yea right about Jas he was inspirieing,  although do feel Peaty has carried on what he started - in a good way , the sport has progressed along way since then and the standard now is incredble

denis i race mainly cross country and also road and cyclocross 

llatsni View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
work in progress

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote llatsni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 15:22
Savage... those lads are mental.

As a relative newbie to the sport i hadnt heard of jason mcroy... fired the name into google - i'm now depressed: www.jasonmcroy.com

sounds like a bit of a legend alright.

Paul
1996 e34 525i SE Touring [uberwagon!]
1992 e36 325i Coupe [track car]
1998 e36 316i SE Saloon [sold... but missed]
lukeduke View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lukeduke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 15:53
savage shots!!! those two lads are nuts!!!
Previous:
2001 M3
2004 M3 CS.
Current:
2007 318D SE SALOON.
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 18:47
Used to be into mountain bikes myself - got a Pro-Flex 950 at my folks house - which replaced the GT Karakoram Elite that got nicked before it. Names to remember then were Missy Giove and Jez Avery IIRC.

Oh and the best thing was Mint Sauce.. (for those that read MBUK).

Must do something with that old thing - never riden it in years, expect the Trek DS-2 shocks will be seized by now, bike is full XT as well. Oh well.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 20:07
Originally posted by touring paddy touring paddy wrote:

denis i race mainly cross country and also road and cyclocross 

Fair play... you must be fairly fit so!! What is Cyclocross (I've been out of it for a long time)???

I used to be mad into it (in a totally non-competitive-tooling-around-on-a-bike sort of a way). Got back into the cycling over the summer, but now that the evenings are getting shorter, I can't get out after work. Work interferes with way too many of my hobbies!!

Used to have a bright red Klein Pulse Race.... my first decent bike. Full XTR set, lovely handling bike. Some scumbag stole it from a "secure" underground car park in Salthill when I was living in Galway. Definitely knew what they were looking for as there were four bikes chained to the same pillar with my chain and they only took mine. I was gutted - even more so when I wrote off my Civic two days later and had no transport at all. Have a Trek hard tail now with hydraulic brakes... nice bike, doesn't feel as nice as the Klein though. And the brakes actually work in the wet!!!! (I'm still in shock two years later)

Don't suppose you could recommend any trails around Limerick, Cork or Waterford? I've broken enough bones and am quiet unfit... so something gentle with lots of downhill sections would be great!!!!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote touring paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 07:59

I remember the bikes well rhys - old skool , they are actually making a comeback !!  you must get back into it its a great laugh,

Denis pity about the Klein , these guys are in the Limerick area and are a good bunch

http://www.csn.ul.ie/~mtbclub/index.php

or else go to www.mtbireland.com forum for general info

Anyone looking for a nice full suss i have one for sale

http://www.mtbireland.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=6725.0

cheers

oh yea cross is eh like cycling on roadbikes with knobbies around fields/froests etc with run sections , savage hard

Edited by touring paddy
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 09:53

This is hilarious... tis mad the amount of people into mountain bikes in their formative years before they could get into cars!!

I've a Rigid Diamond Back Apex, a Team Sobe replica Cannondale F600, and my old race bike from the early 90s, an Allsop Softride, that I won the Regional Jnr MTB champs on back in 93,94,95 ish direction, and came 4th & 5th respectively in 1994 & 1995 Jnr National Champs.

Alot of the old skool lads I rode with are getting really back into it www.021racing.com but I'm only out occasionally these days. Too much on, and 3 stone heavier than my once racing weight!

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote touring paddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 10:19

funny - cars huh ?

TJ whats your name / where u from - bet i know and raced against you

Don520 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 10:20
Big into it too, member of EPIC (epicmtb.com), great
club and try to get out every week. Ride a Giant NRS,
super all day bike. Great way to fight off that middle
aged spread....
95 520iSE Auto (sadly missed)
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 11:12

My names TJ Hunter, and I'm from Cork.

Back in the day, we'd a club called the MBCC (Mountain Bike Club of Cork - creative, wa?). If you didn't remember the name, you'd remember the bike.

Qualifier SE Road

It was a Daytona Violet() Allsop softride - the one with the tiny fame and the carbon beam sprouting from the head/top tube and going back & up. It was a fantastic climbing & XC bike. I had the pround distinction of being the only person in Europe beside Thomas Frisniecht (forgot how to spell it but he was XC world champ around then) to break a Ritchey Frankenstem @ the time. They gave me a reinforced one back ala tomas, and as Allsop had a mnfring plant in Waterford for their cleaning products, I built up a small relationship with them. I got 3 free beams, and assorted parts. I actually bought an entire new boxed Deore DX gruopset from them around 99-00 to restore the Allsop to its former glory. Alas the frame is now starting to crack around the beam area. I'd love to get a Dave Yates Ritchey tubed frameset made for it, but it's hard to justify the money why I'm riding so little these days...

I'm developing a middle age spread @ this stage, so need to get back on them!!

Edited by T.J.
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Don B View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 11:15

Was a bit of a weekend warrior some years back, don't get out nearly enough now. Used to have a nice American made Trek, complete with a nice set of early Marzocchi forks (the ones with the machined lower legs). Need a new toy to spark my interest methinks.

T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 11:19
For one weekend I'd the 3" of Frankenstem and a set of early air/oil Marzochhis (before the drilled/machined legs) and 2 canti braces I'd had made up cos the things flexed so much. That was scary travel - bars going one way, wheel going the other.. I dunno how I rode the thing. The front end weighed a ton too. Some crack up at the local motocross track tho.
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 12:29
I had a bicycle as well you know. It was green with 18 gears. The pedal broke so I left it outside and its gone all rusty now.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Don B View Drop Down
Senior Member I
Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Don B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 12:33

How times have changed! Seems to be alot cheaper to buy something highly specced nowadays..have been looking at buying a Specialized FSR XC or a Trek Fuel, want something with full suspension I think, s'posed to be more fun. Used to love reading the newest issue of MBUK back in the day...recently just disposed of about 50 old issues!

T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 12:53

I still have my old issues from 1990 ish too!

Full suss is good but you to be honest if you want to do more than throw yourself down stuff and walk back up, and don't have alot of wedge to throw at a light XC full suss, I'd stick with a decent front-suss only bike. Tis alot more versatile.

There's a big downhill scene in Ireland now - I reckon XC has gone into the minority.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 13:15
We should have a Mountain Biking revival weekend sometime - we could cycle for five minutes, get totally out of breath, retire to the pub and complain about being saddle sore over a few pints for the rest of the weekend!!! 

Needless to say - the fit people will have to pretend that they are totally knackered after five minutes in the saddle.

Edited by denishogan
T.J. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-October-2006 at 13:33
Or we could just tell them to cycle to the revivial weekend venue!
Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic