FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedTYres?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
piers66 View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote piers66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-October-2006 at 13:29

I've got the Dunlop DZ02Gs fitted & think they are superb on track - can take way more lateral loading than any of the road tyres I've used (Goodyear F1, Avon ZZ1(awful), Pirelli P-Zero Rosso(favourite), Toyo T1-R) and are better in the wet than I was expecting.

Piers

piers66
Sponsored Links

215m3 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215m3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-October-2006 at 15:11
Originally posted by 215DMX 215DMX wrote:

Though I 'might' try the Yokohama Advan Neova LTS   these are rated at

Dave i run these on my M3. They were a bit off at oulton until i got the tyre pressures right. I have found them very grippy so far. They were designed for the lighter elise.

I would try these ext if i was you, Dunlop DZ02G...

Toby
New Genuine BMW & Mini OEM parts - www.bmminiparts.com

1987 E30 M3 with turbo being added
Mallorcaman View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mallorcaman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-October-2006 at 22:57
Have found Dunlop SP9000 to work very well as a road tyre, with surprisingly competent track performance and better than expected wear.
MALLORCAMAN
Putting the ///M in Mallorca
T.J. View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.J. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2006 at 21:42

I ran Avon ZZ1s on road and track and found the grip fine. Not limpet-like, but they were extemely progressive on the limit, and took alot of miles & abuse on track easily. Compared to Eagle F1s which end up a gloopy heavily-worn blob after 60-70 miles of the same track driving - better grip from the F1s though.

I've ordered P-Zero Rosso Asymetricos to replace the F1s. I've had good experiences with Pirelli before. Again, not mind-boggling grip like say Yokahama, but so much more progressive when they do leave go that they're alot nicer.  

I was underwhelmed by Bridgestone on road and track, but found that they maintained the performance over the magority of their lifetime, unlike others.

Mazda 6 MPS
S1 Elise 135 Sport
Alfa Romeo 159 Sportwagon

Formerly E39 TDS, E36 M3, E36 328i, E34 525i, E34 518i
amorgan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2006 at 15:50
Out of interest, I have just purchased some polished bbs style 5's which i do not intend to put on until next spring (when the weather gets better) I am storing them in the loft for this time. should i deflate the tyres for this period
am
Fushion Julz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2006 at 14:19
Was just relating my experience of them (S02s)...The hardness may have something to do with the fact that they are old and they were sitting around for a few years prior to me using them....
1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2006 at 14:13
"My 325i runs on Bridgestone S02s...a bit hard, but they behave very well
under braking, especially, and seem to last well...Discontinued, now,
though, but I understand the S03s are similar in compound with a
different
tread pattern..."

I find this comment odd, as SO2's have a wear rating of 180 and the SO3's
are more like 280. The SO2's being the much softer compound.
Most 'sports' tyres are around the 280 mark with the FK452's being 300.
Most R compound are in the 60 to 80 bracket.

Personally I think the Falkens are a very good all round tyre for road use.
Though I 'might' try the Yokohama Advan Neova LTS   these are rated at

Edited by 215DMX
amorgan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amorgan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2006 at 13:09
I use 225 45 16 toyo tr1's. bought them online from camskill for 260 quid delivered. pleased with them so far
am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2006 at 12:54
Quote I have used Avons in the past and hated them most people do. Not great in the dry and awful in the wet

I disagree...especially on the "wet" analysis...I used them on my M3 at Silverstone, recently, in a torrential rain situation and I thought they provided a better than expected and better than average level of adhesion and feel in the wet...

Personally, I feel that they are better in the dry than the Falkens I have used...especially in the wear department! I was going through Falkens in 10K miles on the rear of my Nissan 200sx and, whilst they provide a reasonable level of grip given the price, they were atrocious in the wet with a tendancy to aquaplane...

This is the thing about tyres....It is a personal choice thing, really...Different cars and different driving styles suit different rubber and construction...

1987 E30 M3
DSK328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSK328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2006 at 11:47

Khumo, Nokian, Federal, Champiro etc are all budget/economy brand tyres so don't confuse them with premium brand tyres. Federal (not as good as what people like to believe they are) and Khumo (decent tyre for the price) are popular budget choices.  Firestone (subsidary of Bridgstone) and BF Goodrich (subsidary of Michelin) aren't bad in general but I woul not use their high performance tyres on any half decent sports car as they can't deliver the levels of performance required.

However, we stock Falken in bulk and sell them at roughly £5-10 more than the cost of a budget tyre and these are our best sellers and they are premium tyres.  They have a very high tread wear reating, a very high temperature and traction rating and are phenominal for the price (at which we sell them for anyway).    

Also, I would say look at Goodyear Eagle F1 (not that expensive compared to its main rivals but an awesome tyre, I have always used this for the past 8 years!!), Prielli P-Zero Assimetrico (expensive but amazing! I run my 328i and C70 T5 GT on this, doesn't last as long but simply amazing).  If you are like myself where you will spare no expense on tyres, then you generally can't go wrong with the following;

Falken FK451 & FK452, Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD2/3, Michelin Pilot Sport, Michelin Pilot Exalto, Continental Sport Contact 1 & 3, Pirelli P7000, Pirelli P-Zero Assimetrico, Dunlop Sport Maxx, Dunlop SP9000 (we have a regular E39 M5 owner who always has Dunlop Sp9000 fitted on his car and has never had a bad word to say about them, he does the odd trackday in it as well). 

Bridgestone's can be good but they tend to suit different cars if you know what I mean and generally have very stiff side walls which in my opinion is a bit OTT and annoys me for everyday use.

I have used Avons in the past and hated them most people do. Not great in the dry and awful in the wet (We don't even stock Avons, only get them in if a customer asks for them, and theres not any demand for them in general).  Yokohama are good enough in the dry, the grip is there but I'd prefer more feedback from them, and in the wet they tend to be quite dissapointing.  

Also, don't think that www. has the best offers on tyres, if you phone around you'll find that you are likely to get a better supplied & fitted deal.  We are an official fitter for a online tyre retailer (can't say which one due to legal reasons) and we have about 40 customers p/mnth sent to us, most usually enquire how much we could have supplied the tyres to them for, and we are usually cheaper in most cases.  Only once in a while we may be beaten if the online retailer is doing a hughe special/clearance offer in conjunction with its distributor.

Let The Good Times Roll
jon90 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jon90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-October-2006 at 00:44
I use Falken 452`s for the road and for the price they are great.Yoko A32R`s for the track and they are superb,just a bit pricey so have bought a set of slicks as well.
Jon

Edited by jon90
rr_ww View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rr_ww Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 17:46
Id previously had Bridgestone S03's in the 225/45R16. They were pretty good in the dry, but a bit wayward in the wet. They lasted a reasonable amount fo time too.

Swapped to Toyo T1rs recently. They took forever to bed in, well over 5-700Km of everyday driving. But they are actually really good. Much better in the damp than the Bridgies. They have a much stiffer sidewall being reinforced, and that combined with the excessive amount of release agent that needed to be scrubbed out of them made the car feel nervous at speed. Now it feels much more planted.

Will rotate them so they are on the front so I can wear out my other 2 tyres.
Rich.
Andy S View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 17:30
I have Toyo T1R's on my M3 and they give very good grip. My other wheels have conti sports and after trying them back to back i would choose the toyo's over the conti's. I paid £80 fitted for my toyo's. The toyo's will not last as long as the conti's but they are a lot quieter. The conti's have been round brands on two track days and have lasted well.
jpboost View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jpboost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 13:14

I've got the falken 452's on mine (225/45/16)  and I'm very happy with them.  Excellent wet weater grip, good dry grip, and pretty hard weaering.  Sure for track work I'd go for somethign softer, but as a high performance road tyre, I'm very impressed.

They behaved pretty well on track too. 

www.falkentyres.co.uk are the importers IIRC.  by my local tyre man got them for me for £75 all in.  bargain!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 12:39
On the M3 I use Avon ZZ3s for the road (and wet track use)...for the price (about £70 fitted) very good indeed...much better in the wet than expected and grippy and fairly dureable in the dry

I have Toyo R888s for the track (dry use) and they are pretty much the best track tyre, short of full slicks, I have used...Don't give them many miles, though!

My 325i runs on Bridgestone S02s...a bit hard, but they behave very well under braking, especially, and seem to last well...Discontinued, now, though, but I understand the S03s are similar in compound with a different tread pattern...
1987 E30 M3
M3Nally View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3Nally Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 12:16
A friend of mine just bought 4 Toyo T1R in 18" for £105 each from etyres, that included the mobile chap coming to fit them at his home, he was well impressed.

I notice on their website you can get them in 225;45 X 16 for £84.90 each inc VAT and fitting.
E30 M3 Macao blue metallic Evolution 2
E39 530d Sport Auto, Aegean blue Edition, Sat Nav, TV, comms pack etc.
E39 540i Auto, Sat Nav, TV, leather, luxo barge
korky View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote korky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 09:15

Danny

I currently run Toyo Proxes T1R having tried Nokian (Not good!) & Goodyear eagle F1 (Good) I perfer the Toyos to the Goodyears, especially in the damp/changeable conditions. But, if you are going to do some trackdays, I think R compounds are the only way to go.. My road tyres have been fine on a couple of ring trips, but as soon as  I started to give them a pasting on a recent track day at Anderstorp (here in Sweden) this is what the front left looked like after about 250 track KM....

Mark
1990 E30 M3
andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 08:30

I use Goodyear Eagle F1's get on really well with them , there much better than the Avons i had before

cheers

Andy

p.s got them from Blackcircles.com who were very good on price

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
M3cK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 08:07
Oh Dannyboy.......I use Kumho Ecstas. V good value tyre, £75 quid fitted. They might not last as long as some, though.

Also, have been recommended Falken 452's. V good in the wet, apparently.......

Edited by M3cK
'89 E30 M3

Made in Munich
Dannyboy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dannyboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-October-2006 at 05:41
Getting to the point when I need some new tyres for my E30 M3 and I am
wondering who is using what and what sort of experience you have had
with them.
1992 clio 1.8 16V Good
1998 Subaru Impreza Turbo Terzo Great
1987 M3 Diamond Black Awesome (Now awesomer with Billys & Eibach)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic