Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > General Motors
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why doesnt Bm put colour in the interior lights..
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhy doesnt Bm put colour in the interior lights..

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why doesnt Bm put colour in the interior lights..
    Posted: 03-October-2006 at 14:35

Just that!.....everything's red, there's no colour in the clock's or anything, even if the made the needle's a diffirent colour, and the only diffirent colour's on the heater panel is (on the E39 anyway) the vent button's....

Even the button's on the door's are red....why is this..

Sponsored Links

BMW328i View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BMW328i Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 14:41

Dont know the answer to this one..........

Could be an identity thing to let you know your behind the wheel of a BMW.

Personally I love the warm glow from the lights inside my car through my job I often drive other cars and can safely say they all lack a brand or identity inside.

All seem to have various colours of controls and kinda mish mash.

BMW = Perfect ergonomics

But then that is just my own opinion.

only brand I felt came close was Audi, but as always the Beemer edged it for me

muppet 2 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Z3..Apple of my eye

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote muppet 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 16:43
Originally posted by bm24v bm24v wrote:

Just that!.....everything's red, there's no colour in the clock's or anything, even if the made the needle's a diffirent colour, and the only diffirent colour's on the heater panel is (on the E39 anyway) the vent button's....

Even the button's on the door's are red....why is this..

so they match

I have been diagnosed with ADHOtS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh that's Shiney

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 18:05
I expect it's because it isn't an overpowering colour - it doesn't strain the eyes at night.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
mowgli View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mowgli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 19:34
Have to agree with the love the warm glow comment!

And it is very easy on the eyes at night!

I did notice that a lot more car manufacturers seem to be using a very similar colour now.
Rossi View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 19:40

so why are the streetlights at night orange then..??

Helps pedestrians eyes no doubt at night time so they can feel warmer in winter...as well as criminals..

'Oh! he was wearing a brown jacket Occifer, or was it green, or was it a blue one or was it..etc...etc

bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 20:53

Yea but Iv'e had a few car's over the years with various interior lighting from clear (white) or green (think the Saab was green....but again not everything).

I dont aggree with the "it's easier to read them at night" thing, yes easy but I wouldnt say the best, no way.

Iv'e actually thought of emailing BMW and asking why, it's just my curiousity..

Oh and Rossi.....as we all know orange s/lamp's do help you see in the dark, why I dont know but they do. Iv'e been on some street's (not alot though) where theyv'e been white it's a h ellish to see.

alanross View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alanross Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 21:30

Personally I prefer green which Fords usually have. Was going to convert my last BMW to green to go with my Alpine stereo but never got round to it.

Would't do it to my current car as the M dials look better with the orange glow and the red needles.

Alan.

bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 21:33
Originally posted by alanross alanross wrote:

Would't do it to my current car as the M dials look better with the orange glow and the red needles.

Alan.

Now that's sound's nice....so why couldn't they have did that with the range..it WOULD break it up and make it more appealing.

Rossi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rossi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 21:34

Oh and Rossi.....as we all know orange s/lamp's do help you see in the dark, why I dont know but they do. Iv'e been on some street's (not alot though) where theyv'e been white it's a h ellish to see.

so do carrots..

bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 21:44
Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

so do carrots..

true..

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-October-2006 at 22:39
Originally posted by alanross alanross wrote:

..Was going to convert my last BMW to green to go with my Alpine stereo but never got round to it..

..could always get a head unit with changable colours, tune it just right to blend in.

As for Saabs, I think they are green - my dads had several older models. The newer ones have a blackout switch which turns off all non-essential dails/lights leaving just the speedo actice IIRC.
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
vpricey View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vpricey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2006 at 00:39
Is It not like that in the newer VW's too!? Looks quite cool tho!!
Paul - '87 E30 325i Sport - '99 E39 M5 - '05 E53 X5
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2006 at 11:03
Yip the new Vw's are very nice...Bm take heed!!
BeemaBoy View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Starting a Collection

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeemaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2006 at 13:35

So, by colour you would mean...white dials with blue needles that change colour to green the higher the revs and speed are?

Isnt that a little Japanese ... like for baby cars ...

BB

87 E30 320I
95 E34 525I Auto, Executive Package, Arctic Silver
98 E38 740I Steptronic, Silver
bm24v View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bm24v Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-October-2006 at 16:13
No no no....I dont mean white clock's and nothing chav like, all I mean is having colour inside without everything being red that's all.
Madrab View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Madrab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-October-2006 at 13:28
Originally posted by Rossi Rossi wrote:

so why are the streetlights at night orange then..??

Helps pedestrians eyes no doubt at night time so they can feel warmer in winter...as well as criminals..

'Oh! he was wearing a brown jacket Occifer, or was it green, or was it a blue one or was it..etc...etc

The street lights were designed orange as they found that it is a better light for visibility in bad weather, snow and fog, white reflects and glares more. It may also be that red or orange, like in red attack lights in submarines, it doesn't compromise night vision as much as lighter colours. Going from orange/red lighting into the dark the eyes react almost instantly so you can see better,  more quickly, white light leaves a glare or white spots and takes your eyes longer to get accustomed to the darkness again. Altogether better for night vision it seems.

Rob

Edited by Madrab
1990 E3o 325i Touring and she's definately a she! Pain in the ass sometimes but goes like a bunny :oD
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic