Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Regional & Specific Forums > Irish Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedHave they seen sense

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Have they seen sense
    Posted: 01-October-2006 at 20:32

Have BMW finally figured out that the car jack supplied with their cars is crap and have now come up with this little package

BMW Jack SetThw BMW Jack Set will work with the E36/7 E39 E46 E52 E63 E64 E65 E66 E85 and E90. The new BMW Jack Set is designed to enable the Do-It-Yourself customer to change their wheels and tires whether for seasonal tire changes or a flat tire.
The BMW Jack Set is packaged in a heavy-duty nylon bag with a reinforced base and contains pockets for each of the following components:
  • Scissors-type jack. A hand wheel on the jack allows it to be raised quickly into position.
  • Jack Ratchet handle to quickly and easily raise and lower the vehicle.
  • Torque wrench fixed at 130 Nm will "click" audibly when the correct torque is reached.
  • Torque wrench can be used to loosen wheel studs.
  • Folding wedge wheel chock.
  • Cotton gloves.
  • Tire marking chalk.
  • Operating instructions.
The BMW Jack Set incorporates three important safety features. First, the lifting height of the jack is limited to the maximum lifting height recommended by BMW for all BMW cars. Second, the fixed torque value of 130 Nm is within the correct torque range for all car wheel studs, and third, the folding wedge wheel chock will assist in keeping the vehicle stable while raising and lowering it on the jack. While these are valuable safety features, it is important to remember to carefully follow the safety instructions in your BMW vehicle Owner's Manual for changing a tire, as well as the instructions contained in the BMW Jack Set.
DescriptionPart Number BMW Jack Set71 10 6 773 536
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Sponsored Links

Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 20:49
Wonder how much this costs?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Jeff Spangle View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeff Spangle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 20:56
A nice set, just right for christmas! The pre-set torque wrench is an excellent addition.
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 21:16

That looks expensive. I recently took off my front wheel to inspect the front brakes on my e36. I thought the normal jack was simple and quick to use. Also, because it can only go in one specific place, you know its in the right spot. It can be hard to get those scissor jacks in the right place. Some cars have a mark on the sill but you still have to look under to make sure the jack is in or out the right amount. (Which can mean getting wet/dirty in the event of a puncture, as I've done before). But the preset torque wrench is a great idea. That should be standard on all cars.

What are peoples complaints about the regular jack?

1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
topazman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topazman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 21:48
The jacks supplied have a habit of shifting and the car dropping and as a result most people have trolley jacks  
Now 2004 M3 Coupe Silver Grey with all the bits
Rhys View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Coffee addict...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rhys Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 21:50
The one that came with my old e30 316 was ok, it did the job more than once.

Other than that, if I ever get a blow-out etc the first thing I'll do is ring for roadside assistence. S'why I pay money for it. Why get mucky scrabbling around for the wheel under my car by the side of a motorway when its persisting it down when I can ring the RAC to do it for me?
V reg Rustbucket Merc C220 Cdi estate
J Reg Saab 900i 16v
'63 Ford Anglia 105e deluxe
R reg Honda PC50 moped..

No BMW as yet...
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 22:38
Identical jack to what came with volvo 240's in 1975!! Jesus Bmw are right ahead of the crowd with this one....
99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
denishogan View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
Whats this title thing about then?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote denishogan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 22:46
Originally posted by Ben O Brien Ben O Brien wrote:

Identical jack to what came with volvo 240's in 1975!! Jesus Bmw are right ahead of the crowd with this one....

And the Hondas of the '80s!!!
Ben O Brien View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ben O Brien Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 22:52

Well 10 out of 10 to bm this time for their inventiveness and ingenuity, makes you wonder if they hadnt made such crap jacks in the first place there wouldnt be a market for this at a guess expensive "new" equipment..

Take notice of the amount of E34's especially with dented/scraped bottom door panels, from falling off the jacks especially in bad weather conditions..

99' 740iL   
99' 728i Sport
98' E39 M5 - Avus Blue, Dec Car!
96' M3 Saloon - Estoril Blue
94' M3 3.0 Convertible
91' E34 M5 - 3.6, Macau Blue

*E36 M3's Breaking*
gjoconnor92 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II
The eyes have it

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gjoconnor92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-October-2006 at 23:09
Now if we only could get the tyre shops to use torque limiting devices on their air guns when tightening wheel nuts, we would all be happy!
Gerard O'Connor

1989 E30 320i for track day use
1972 2002 competition car project (delayed!!)
Sheane Formula Vee
My e-mail
73touring View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 73touring Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-October-2006 at 07:55
I know what you mean Grerard my 300ce had the Wheel Nuts on so tight that while I eventually got them off with an extention bar, I broke a mates Vice trying to get the bloody nut out of the Socket!

The old Jack was Adequate,,,ish for the 2002 in the seventies but should really have been updated earlier most 02 owners have the a trolley Jack in the can and have long abandoned the stock Jacking points incase the the Jack Disapeared up into the sill!

only thing I like about it is that it has Bilstein stamped onto it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic