Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedSilverstone on Monday

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2006 at 19:16
Did anyone go in the 'Ring Taxi?
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.
Sponsored Links

Steve Gill View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2006 at 21:14

Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

Yip, when the track was damp as well (result, as originally I was booked for 10.20, but I changed it to 3.30)

It was great, and way better than last year.

UweM3 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UweM3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-September-2006 at 21:28
Originally posted by Steve Gill Steve Gill wrote:

Originally posted by flyingalexf68 flyingalexf68 wrote:

Yip, when the track was damp as well (result, as originally I was booked for 10.20, but I changed it to 3.30)

It was great, and way better than last year.

Why on earth are YOU going in the Ring taxi???
You could drive one yourself! Much more interesting driving than all the sideways crap.....
E61 520d, slow and buzzy but my wallet likes the mpg.....
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 00:59

Originally posted by UweM3 UweM3 wrote:

Why on earth are YOU going in the Ring taxi???
You could drive one yourself! Much more interesting driving than all the sideways crap.....

lol - It was great fun, well worth it this year (wasn't so convinced about last year)

Here's the vid from our lap Uwe -

http://www.stevesfiles.com/files/silverstone-trackvision1.av i

Fushion Julz View Drop Down
Bavarian-Board Contributor

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 10:43
Great footage, Steve (including a fair bit of my car/laps)...what do you use in terms of equipment to acheive the footage, camera wise, and how do you superimpose the data?

1987 E30 M3
1996 E36 328i SE 4dr (Manual)
1992 E34 525iX Touring...SOLD
flyingalexf68 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyingalexf68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 16:11
Yes nice footage Steve. Looks quite treacherous out there. I wouldn't fancy doing any high speed stuff on a track as wet as that. Please do tell us what camera and equipment you use. I'd love to get something like that for my own track day records.
1995 e36 3.0 M3 Coupe, Daytona Violet, AP Racing BBK, CCFL Angel Eyes, M3 Spoiler, M-Tec 3 Steering Wheel.   
2000 530d Steptronic, Poverty Spec, 18" Alloys.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 17:04
Only treacherous for anyone not able to drive!!

There was only one casualty of the rain, as far as I'm aware (an E36 M3 that went off backwards into the wall on Farm Straight just before Bridge)....but he managed to drive it back to the pits and it wasn't gonna stop him driving it home, either...

There was, as far as I'm aware, only one other body damaging incident when an E30 M3 (black one) went off in the dry morning sessions at Copse... looked a bit sad, but not unfixeable.
Considering the conditions, I was surprised that there weren't any more, really...There was an E9 CSL bat road car that was pumping out a bit of oil all day and finally expired when the engine cut out at copse in the afternoon resulting in a harmless spin...But it caused the session to be stopped as the car needed a tow back to the pits and was stopped on the track.

Perhaps worth remembering that BMWCC bill it as a "Better Driving Day" and to be a better driver you need to be able to handle the wet as well as the dry!
(saves the expensive R rubber, too)

Edited by Fushion Julz
1987 E30 M3
SFH3L View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SFH3L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 20:31

I'm desperate to see the link and it opens up Windows Media Player, but all I get is the sound - any ideas guys?

BTW - it wasn't my CSL putting out the oil!

Sam.
the original "not for profit" organisation.

Independent Financial Adviser In Buckingham
My Financial Blog
kevin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 20:38
Martin, it was good to see you ,

Jules, It was good having a gew laps in close formation with uou, I left the R888's on for the whole day which made the afternoon sessions interesting, I was pleasently surprised at how well they gripped in the wet.

Steve, great video as always I must get the trackvision sorted. Was that me in front of yoy just before you pulled into the pitlane. If it was the car is looks to be moving around much more than it felt from the drivers seat.

Cheers
Kevin
Kevin
'04 E46 330Ci Convertible
'08 E61 535d Touring (TorqueMeister Towbarge)
’95 E34 M5
’89 E30 M3 (Cecotto)
215DMX View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 215DMX Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 20:57
link dosn't work for me either.

Knowing Steve, it is probibly the latest version of the
latest software, all singing all dancing...

BTW - Steve hows the CSL standing ?

Dave
M3cK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M3cK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 21:56
Link works ok for me .It's Fantastic, Sam, REALLY good! You say that you can't get it?? You're missing out Big Time, isn't he everyone.....

What a good event. First time for me but well worth it! We just went for the rides and thoroughly enjoyed them all! Simple pleasures for simple people, eh, Uwe.....

Sabine was Great. If you're not used to it, then it's a Terrific couple of laps. What was better though was during the last session when I was in Martin H's m3 and you could see The 'Taxi', headlights ablaze closing in on us in the passenger mirror - Sideways. "What an enduring image, isn't it, em? MARVELLOUS!.... Small boys at the side of the track, cotton wool for earplugs, mmm, isn't it? MARVELLOUS....."

Many Thanks to the organisers......

Edited by M3cK
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 22:10

Hi M3ck - is that Chris? or David?

I now think my noise is a detailed image

FEBI Propshaft Coupling S14
Manufacturer: FEBI
Price: £37.60 (inc VAT)   
Located on the rear of the gearbox, this rubber coupling is a solid disc with metal sleeves. Commonly they suffer from torsional cracks/ splits in between the bolt holes and should be replaced accordingly.

I am having it fitted tomorrow so will keep you posted

Martin H

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
b7 eater View Drop Down
Senior Member II
Senior Member II

BMW anoraks

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b7 eater Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 23:01
Hey Martin, you got Ryan syndrome there!
E21 323i baur
E34 M5
M3 GT
texas2201 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texas2201 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-September-2006 at 23:38

It was remembering Ryans problem that made me change my view - I thought the diff was on the way out

I put your petrol container and air pump in the boot of my car - will give them back to you when I next see you?

Martin

Martin - www.iconicmotorcars.co.uk
E30 M3 now sold :-(/Lotus Elan SE Turbo/Lotus Excel SE/Lotus Excel SA/Audi A8 - now Tow Barge - Quattro 4.2
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 00:18

Originally posted by Fushion Julz Fushion Julz wrote:

Great footage, Steve (including a fair bit of my car/laps)...what do you use in terms of equipment to acheive the footage, camera wise, and how do you superimpose the data?

Thanks, which was your car? I'll see if I've anything else. I presume you were one of the many e30s that went flying past me!!  j/k

The equipment is a DL1 data logger with a bullet cam, using software from trackvision.net to combine the two. Works well, unfortunately I've not worked out how to get the revs connected yet

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 00:19
Originally posted by SFH3L SFH3L wrote:

I'm desperate to see the link and it opens up Windows Media Player, but all I get is the sound - any ideas guys?

Best to right click and save as, then watch it

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 00:20

Originally posted by SFH3L SFH3L wrote:

Best to right click and save as, then watch it

I forgot to add you need the divx codec

Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 00:23

Originally posted by kevin kevin wrote:

Martin, it was good to see you ,

Jules, It was good having a gew laps in close formation with uou, I left the R888's on for the whole day which made the afternoon sessions interesting, I was pleasently surprised at how well they gripped in the wet.

Steve, great video as always I must get the trackvision sorted. Was that me in front of yoy just before you pulled into the pitlane. If it was the car is looks to be moving around much more than it felt from the drivers seat.

Cheers
Kevin

Kev, I don't think it was but I can't really remember

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fushion Julz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 00:25

Originally posted by Fushion Julz Fushion Julz wrote:

Thanks, which was your car? I'll see if I've anything else. I presume you were one of the many e30s that went flying past me!!  j/k

The equipment is a DL1 data logger with a bullet cam, using software from trackvision.net to combine the two. Works well, unfortunately I've not worked out how to get the revs connected yet

Mine is the Henna Red E30 M3 (D221 BJB).

I have a bit of footage of your car on that same session, but am having a few problems with the transfer to PC at the moment, but will get it sorted before the weekend and I'll upload then..

Nowhere near as good as your footage, though!
1987 E30 M3
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Gill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-September-2006 at 00:26

Originally posted by 215DMX 215DMX wrote:

link dosn't work for me either.

Knowing Steve, it is probibly the latest version of the
latest software, all singing all dancing...

BTW - Steve hows the CSL standing ?

Dave

Divx 6 I think  CSL going well, couple of probs with brake shoes and the ride height, but other than that getting there. Hopefully got a mod going on tomorrow in time for the ring trip this weekend

Not seen you there for a while Dave, you'll need to get yourself back across soon!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic