Bavarian-Board.co.uk - BMW Owners Discussion Forum Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Technical & Model Specific Forums > BMW ///M Power
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedE28 M5 Temperature Senders

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: E28 M5 Temperature Senders
    Posted: 16-September-2006 at 10:45

Can anyone tell me where the feeds from the three temperature senders on the E28 M5 engine go to - there are blue, brown and brass fixtures on the coolant rail.

Thanks,

H.

Sponsored Links

ian M635UK View Drop Down
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2006 at 18:20
Originally posted by Haggis Haggis wrote:

Can anyone tell me where the feeds from the three temperature senders on the E28 M5 engine go to - there are blue, brown and brass fixtures on the coolant rail.

Thanks,

H.

One goes to dash temp gauge

The others are for ecu.  One is inverse resistance the other I recall is a switch for warn up map in the ecu. 

Haggis View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-September-2006 at 21:21

Thanks Ian - can you tell me which one does which?

H.

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2006 at 16:44
Originally posted by Haggis Haggis wrote:

Thanks Ian - can you tell me which one does which?

H.

Car is elsewhere at present but from memory the rhs one (two spade connectors) is the dash temp gauge.  Pull the wires with the engine running and you should loose the dash indication to prove.  The other two go to the ecu.

Ian

Webdunk View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
M3 GT Register

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Webdunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-September-2006 at 17:50
Haggis View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-September-2006 at 20:45

Yep, Dunc - that's the rail and the senders what I are after talking about.  The problem that I have is that someone has been in amongst it with the snips and the reason that I am after this information is that I don't have an operational temperature gauge to disconnect to check for sender status and continuity.

Perhaps if you get your car back Ian, you could pull the sender wires off and tell me which one knocks your own gauge out?  Appreciated.

H.

Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2006 at 11:17

Item 9 should have two spade connectors.

This should feed the dash temp gauge

Ian

andyclient View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote andyclient Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-September-2006 at 12:05

The Brown one is the Temp gauge

cheers

Andy

01 E46 320d Touring
88 E30 M3 Sadly Gone
93 E36 325 TD Gone but still going
87 E30 Hartge 325 (gone but not forgotten)
grahame34m5 View Drop Down
Really Senior Member II
Really Senior Member II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahame34m5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-September-2006 at 14:58

That's the one off the e34 maybe the same for e28 or maybe the cars got an e34 engine...

This may be a little off topic but its always good to share - Number 9 should be clear and if its not the temp function doesn't work properly and doesn't adjust the timing when hot. Check out the link for some major techy stuff from a Munich M division insider....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80820  

I just need to find its location - I'm sure I'm being majorly thick but hey whats new.

08 e60 Alpina B5 S sold, please forgive me
03 e39 M5 sold
98 e38 728 Sport Individual dead
93 e34 M5 sold
Really Senior Member I
Really Senior Member I

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ian M635UK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-September-2006 at 10:44

Originally posted by Webdunk Webdunk wrote:

Haggis!

Welcome aboard

You interested in this area?

from http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=HD91&mospi d=47 385&btnr=11_0600&hg=11&fg=35

Actually wrong diagram.  See link below to correct one for e28 m5

Description of sensors included in link.

One is for ECU.

One is for cold running to warm engine (switches map in ecu)

One is for temp gauge in car including high temp light switch (orange light in dash)

Ian

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=5532&mospi d=47202&btnr=11_0780&hg=11&fg=35

Edited by ian M635UK
Haggis View Drop Down
Advanced Newbie
Advanced Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Haggis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-September-2006 at 20:17

Cheers everyone.

Now - the next silly question is this.  Does anyone have a wiring diagram for the E28 M5 (, or M635CSi possibly) so that I can track the wire back to see where it doesn't go any longer?

H.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic